MA Program Application
|Type of Admission||Deadline|
|Individuals Seeking Admission and Departmental Financial Aid||January 1, 2024*|
|Individuals Not Seeking Departmental Financial Aid||March 1, 2024|
*The Awards and Admissions Committee will consider applications after this deadline as space is available. Regardless of financial aid need, it is in your best interest to apply early.
All applications are given careful and individual review. In some cases, students who do not meet the required GPAs scores may be admitted.
►Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. BA in English is preferred, but not required. ►Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.5
Step (1): Online Application Submission
All Graduate programs at the University of Cincinnati require an online application.
►Click here to locate information on applying to the Graduate School.
►Click here to go directly to the Graduate School online application.
You will be required to submit the following materials as part of the Online Application:
(1) Letter of Intent: state academic goals and professional objective, recommended length is one to two pages
(2) Curriculum Vitae
(3) Writing samples (combine all samples into one document):
► Literature Track:
► Critical writing sample consisting of a literary analysis or research paper totaling 20 pages
Note: The English Department does not consider the "optional" video submission that is offered as
part of the Graduate School's application process.
Step (2): Required Supplementary Materials
(1) Three letters of recommendation (no form required): Recommenders
will submit letters through the Online Application system.
(2) Unofficial Transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended. These can be uploaded during your online application completion. Unofficial transcripts can take many forms, including a list of courses/grades from a previous academic institution's student portal, a copy of an official transcript, a picture of a transcript, or any other listing depicting your academic career.
Please note that although unofficial transcripts are highly recommended for the application, official transcripts will be required if admission is offered and you accept. In addition, official transcripts must be in final form (listing any degrees conferred). Official transcripts can be submitted as early as the day you accept admission and as late as the beginning of your first term of enrollment.
(3) Proof of English Proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English.
Submit Transcripts To: (only if submitting official transcripts; unofficial transcripts are recommended for all applications)
Graduate School at the University of Cincinnati
110 Van Wormer Hall PO Box 210627
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0627