Professional Writing Graduate Certificate Application
Applicants are admitted and can apply to the Professional Writing Graduate Certificate program anytime throughout the academic year.
All applications are given careful and individual review. In some cases, students who do not meet the required GPAs and GRE scores may be admitted.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. BA in English is not required, but good writing skills are.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.5
- GRE® General Test is not required for the certificate, but will be required to take courses toward the MA.
Step 1: Online Application Submission
All Graduate programs at the University of Cincinnati require an online application.
- Click here to locate information on applying to the Graduate School.
- Click here to go directly to the Graduate School online application for the spring or summer term.
- Click here to go directly to the Graduate School online application for the fall term.
You will be required to submit the following materials as part of the Online Application:
- Letter of Intent: state academic goals and professional objective
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing samples (combine all samples into one document):
- Two substantial pieces of expository writing, 10+ pages each (both can be academic, if possible) or several shorter pieces (such as articles, reports, or instructions)
Note: The English Department does not consider the "optional" video submission that is offered as part of the Graduate School's application process.
Step 2: Required Supplementary Materials
- Two letters of recommendation (no form required): Recommenders will submit letters through the Online Application system.
- Unofficial Transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended. These can be uploaded during your online application completion. Unofficial transcripts can take many forms, including a list of courses/grades from a previous academic institution's student portal, a copy of an official transcript, a picture of a transcript, or any other listing depicting your academic career. Please note that although unofficial transcripts are highly recommended for the application, official transcripts will be required if admission is offered and you accept. In addition, official transcripts must be in final form (listing any degrees conferred). Official transcripts can be submitted as early as the day you accept admission and as late as the beginning of your first term of enrollment.
- Proof of English Proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English.
Submit Official Transcripts To:
Graduate School at the University of Cincinnati
110 Van Wormer Hall PO Box 210627
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0627