Russian and East European Studies
Students interested in Russian and East European studies take relevant courses in languages, history, international affairs, and other areas.
- Russian language (Russ 1011-1013)
- Russian language: Upper-level classes (Russ 2001-2002)
- Russian Culture and Society (Russ 2081)
- History of Russia: From Ancient Rus’ to Today (HIST 2009)
- The USSR in World War II (HIST 3038)
- Russia in the Age of Peter the Great (HIST 3059)
- Land of the Tsars: History of the Russian Empire (HIST 5032/6032)
- Politics of Russia (Pol 2074)
- Politics of Europe and Eastern Europe (POL 2077)
- International Institutions and NATO (POL 2097)
Additional courses on global affairs, Europe, and Asia—in fields such as culture, film, music, philosophy, literature, history, economics, geography, and politics/international affairs—include coverage of Russia and Eastern Europe. Students may also pursue majors and minors in these fields and certificates such as European Studies.
Faculty specializing in Russia and Eastern Europe include
- Randall Rowe, principal instructor for Russian language and culture classes, and primary contact for Russian classes and STARTALK
- Ivan Ivanov, department of international affairs, offering classes in Russian politics and European politics
- Willard Sunderland, department of history, offering classes in Russian history
The STARTALK year-round Russian Immersion Program at UC aims to increase the quality of instruction and number of Russian language speakers in the tri-state area of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Through a targeted curriculum and year-round contact, inclusive of a two-week intensive summer Russian language program, students create a language community among themselves. Through local activities and outreach, they are connected to local communities of Russian-language speakers. And faculty members at UC with expertisein Russian film, culture, history, and politics / foreign policy provide students with lectures and activities in these areas to supplement their language learning.