Friends of WGSS
Established in 1980, Friends of WGSS is dedicated to supporting the activities, development and growth of the Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (or WGSS) at the University of Cincinnati. Additionally we are committed to disseminating knowledge about women's achievements, needs and aspirations to the broader community. Friends of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies achieves this mission through various activities and programs held throughout the year, such as:
- Mary Ellen Heintz Endowed Chair — Friends organized a multi-million dollar campaign to create this endowed chair for a faculty member that would create a distinguished connection between the department and the community. Currently, Dr. Amy Lind holds this position.
- Women's Library Fund — In collaboration with the libraries here at the University of Cincinnati, this fund specifically encourages the purchase of books, journals, and other documents to support future research related to gender, sexuality, and race among other topics of interest. These purchases are typically made in honor of individuals and/or to commemorate a special event.
- Graduate Student Assistantship — Through the full support of Friends, this assistantship promotes professional development and experience building opportunities by providing this stipend-based position to a WGSS graduate student each year.
- Friends and Faculty Connections — Connections is a mentoring program where Friends and WGSS core faculty members can "connect" with WGSS graduate students. Previous connected groups have attended community and University lectures and events, shared professional and academic interests and opportunities, and socialized out and around Cincinnati.
As a Friend, You Will
- Learn more about WGSS in our community and around the world.
- Network with others interested in women-related initiatives and issues.
- Be invited to all Friends of WGSS events, including the Annual Fall Reception.
- Have access to educational events and classes offered by the Department of WGSS.
- Be subscribed to Genderline, the annual newsletter of the Department of WGSS.
- Have the opportunity to borrow books from UC's Langsam Library. (For information about how to do this, call or e-mail the Friends office.)
And the best benefit of all . . .
Knowing that you are supporting a wide array of activities and research that makes the Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies a national leader in the field and a catalyst for change in Cincinnati and around the world. For information about how to become a member of Friends of Women's Studies, see Donations and our brochure (PDF 2MB).
Contact the Friends of WGSS Office:
Friends of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
University of Cincinnati
P.O. Box 210164
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0164