The Department of Geosciences at the University of Cincinnati offers Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Our program strives to produce knowledgeable and well-rounded students. While in the program, graduate students develop skills, such as reading, writing, data acquisition, critical analysis, and communication, while simultaneously conducting an original research project. Students are given opportunities to achieve a breadth of knowledge relevant to their area of research, publish their research in peer-reviewed publications, and participate in professional development. Embracing and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among peers, faculty, staff, and other members of the community within and external to the Department are central to this mission.
Graduates our of program will be able to:
- Demonstrate breadth of knowledge in the geosciences
- Exhibit fundamental knowledge within a chosen subdiscipline within the geosciences
- Formulate, evaluate, and defend testable scientific questions and hypotheses
- Acquire and implement skills in data collection and analysis
- Develop and carry out an original research project that contributes to a subfield of geoscience
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Build a network of colleagues and mentors
- Critically evaluate the work of others
For prospective students interested in applying to Graduate School for Geology at the University of Cincinnati, the application deadline for the MS and PhD programs is January 15. The application requires the online application form and the following supporting materials:
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
GRE scores are optional. International applicants should review the English proficiency requirements and submit standardized test scores, if applicable. Our program follows the standardized test score minimums set by the Graduate School.
For questions about the application process, our graduate programs, or the department in general, contact the Academic Director, Krista Smilek at email@example.com.