Professional Writing Certificate
The undergraduate Professional Writing (PW) certificate prepares you to write, edit, and design projects in your field and complements any major or career.
Courses in the program incorporate elements of communications, marketing, journalism, and web development and offer students experiential learning opportunities as well as access to industry professionals.
Professional Writing Certificate Checklist
This electronic requirement checklist can be completed and used during advising sessions or utilized to track the progress toward your certificate completion.
- The Professional Writing Certificate requires 15 semester credit hours.
(1) Choose One Technology Course
- ENGL 2070 Desktop Publishing
- ENGL 3069 Introduction to Web Authoring
- ENGL 5000/5100-level course (with permission from your advisor)
(2) Choose One 4000 Level Specialized Writing Course
- ENGL 4091 Writing For Business
- ENGL 4092 Technical and Scientific Writing
- ENGL 4093 Environmental Writing
- ENGL 4094 Biomedical Writing
(3) Choose Three Electives*
- ENGL 2060 Language, Power and Community
- ENGL 2072 Writing for Parks and Museums
- ENGL 2073 Writing for Justice
- ENGL 2074 Social Media and Society
- ENGL 2093 Cross Cultural Communication
- ENGL 2144 Social Media for Social Justice & Activism
- ENGL 2159 Introduction to Professional Writing
- ENGL 2193 Intro. to Environmental Writing
- ENGL 3067 Research Methods in RPW
- ENGL 3068 Topics in RPW
- ENGL 3072 Multimedia Writing
- ENGL 3076 Writing with Style
- ENGL 3077 Visual Persuasion
- ENGL 4095 Theory in PW
- ENGL 4099 Internship**
- ENGL 5029 Creating Accessible Content
- ENGL 5080 Writing Cincinnati
- ENGL 5089/5095 Capstone in RPW***
- ENGL 5121 Instructional Design
- ENGL 5122 Promotional Writing
- ENGL 5123 Reports & Proposals
- ENGL 5124 Editing Professional Documents
- ENGL 5125 Information Design
- ENGL 5126 Usability & User Experience
- ENGL 5127 Topics in Professional Writing
- ENGL 5128 Publishing & New Media
- ENGL 5144 Document Design
- ENGL 5145 Professional Writing for International Audiences
* For your electives, you can also take any PW course that you have not previously counted toward your technology or 4000-level specialized writing requirements. Courses used to fulfill a requirement cannot count as an elective as well.
** Note: See advisor at one semester prior to enrollment. This internship must be arranged through the PW program and not Professional Practice.
*** Offered Spring Semester only.