For prospective students, we encourage you to read through our department website, visit our faculty webpages, contact relevant faculty who share research interests with you, and discuss your research interests and research plan with them. Please see the research interests of our faculty members in our department website. Please stay in touch with them after you submit your application, as they will serve as your primary advocate(s) during the admission and selection process. If you want to make a campus visit, please contact our Graduate Program Director or your potential mentors for the arrangement.
To apply for our graduate programs, you must complete an on-line application through the UC Graduate School’s website, at: https://grad.catalyst.uc.edu/apply/
The application requires the following documents:
1. Official transcripts of the student’s academic record of all undergraduate and graduate studies, which must be submitted both online and directly to the department, to the attention of the Geography Graduate Program Director. Applicants must have a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or foreign equivalent.
2. Three letters of recommendation, commenting upon the student’s aptitude and potential for graduate studies and research.
3. Official GRE scores (verbal ability, quantitative ability, and analytic ability), which need to be sent to the University of Cincinnati (institution code 1833) directly from ETS. The Department of Geography requires minimum score of 300 (verbal + quantitative) or 1080 as regarding to prior scale.
- PLEASE NOTE: For the 2022-2023 academic year, a GRE waiver will apply to those applicants who completed a graduate degree in the US in a relevant field.
4. Either TOEFL or IELTS scores, which are required for international applicants who do not hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from a university in an English-speaking country. International students whose native language is other than English must provide official copies of TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. Department of Geography requires minimum score of 88 for internet-based TOEFL test (230 for computer-based test, 570 for paper-based test) for admission. International applicants can find more information here: https://grad.uc.edu/admissions/criteria/international-students.html
The Duolingo English test has been approved and the minimum required score is 105.
5. A short essay (no longer than 2 pages in length) that briefly and cogently describes your educational background, past research experience, anticipated research project and topic, and explains your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in geography at the University of Cincinnati. Your statement of purpose should also name up to two potential mentors from the faculty members with whom you have already been in contact and/or with whom you share research interests.
6. Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Resume.
7. Academic/professional writing samples, which are encouraged but not mandatory.
To be fully considered for financial support, applications should be submitted by January 15.The application deadline for admission is April 15.
The departmental graduate council will begin reviewing applications for financial support and admission shortly after the above application deadlines.