Office of the Dean
Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
155B Arts & Sciences Hall (ML 0367)
- Responsible for the overall achievement of the college mission
- Foster faculty and student research, and promote collaborative endeavors
- Manage the college's full range of operations, including strategic, programmatic, financial and fiscal
- Develop and execute an effective strategy for college fundraising
- Corresponds with faculty, staff, students, alumni and administration; across departments; within the university; and throughout the community at large
- Supervises, appoints, and reviews all assistant and associate deans
I am the Divisional Dean for Social Sciences, as well as a Professor of Anthropology. My units are: Africana Studies, Anthropology, School for Communication, Film, and Media Studies, Journalism, School for Public and International Affairs, Sociology, and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Within A&S, I represent the Dean’s Office on A&S Faculty Seante. I represent the college on the University Graduate Council, and the Associate Deans for Research committee. I also serve as a college liaison with the university COVID team, the IRB, and the International Office. In my scholarly work, I focus on Maya archaeology and investigate themes related to materiality and the material world, indigenous ontologies, and personhood through both material, visual, and textual evidence.
Littisha A. Bates
Associate Dean for Inclusive Excellence and Community Partnerships
- Leads the college in our effort to be a leader in equity and inclusion
- Establishes and supports college-wide equity and inclusion policies impacting students, staff, faculty and our community.
- Oversees the implementation of college wide equity and inclusion policies
- Acts as the college’s liaison for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Cultivates community partnerships
- Coordinates the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Manages human resources function to ensure that the college has an appropriate and diverse workforce, including oversight of organizational development; position planning; recruitment and hiring; training and staff development; and evaluation.
- Preparation and delivery of faculty offer letters
- College Administrator for the eRPT dossier system
- Oversight of Dean’s Office college records
- College-wide event planning and meeting coordination
Assistant Dean, Declared Student Advising & Center for Exploratory Studies
2624 French Hall West
- Provides vision, leadership and direction for the College of Arts & Sciences Declared Advising unit and the Center for Exploratory Studies
- Oversees all the College of Arts & Sciences Advising functions and supervises a team of 17 professional advisors
- Represents and Advocates for all Arts and Sciences advising needs in University Committees
Carol Tonge Mack
Assistant Dean of Academic Services
2126 French Hall West
- Student Retention and Success
- Students At-risk: Academic Alert and Probationary Students
- College Conduct Administrator---Academic Misconduct for undergraduate students
- College Liaison: GEN-1 Theme House
- Architect and Facilitator: Award-winning Cultural Competence Workshops for faculty and staff
- Co-direct the PR1ZE (Putting Retention 1st in the Zest for Excellence) Mentoring Program for African-American Students
- Advisor: Cariba Caribbean Student Organization
- Long-range Financial Planning
- Oversee day to day business operations
- Space and Facilities Planning
- Supervise the budget support staff in the college and oversee all business and financial matters for the college.
- Serve as a member of the Dean’s cabinet to advise the Dean and his leadership team on the management of all college finances and related matters
- Manage the college budget submission process including budget formulation
- Oversee (PBB) Performance Based Budgeting and the associated impact on the college
- Create proforma financial statements for new college ventures
- Develop navigational budget reports to aide in forecasting
- Assist the dean , faculty, and staff in the development of entrepreneurial and revenue-generating activities
- Provide advice and technical assistance to the Dean and department Heads on cost analysis, funds allocation, and budget preparation and management
- Work with the dean to develop and recommend financial and administrative policies and procedures that will help strengthen the college finances
- Development of Departmental PBB reports
- Partner with the Dean, Department Heads and the Provost office in helping us strengthen the financial position of the college
- Assist faculty and staff with researching, locating, developing, writing, and administering federal, state, and private grants, contracts, and external funding sources.
- Implement policies to ensure compliance with funding agency regulations
- Oversee and ensure compliance of grants.
- Conduct or carry out work procedures and activities in accordance with local, state, federal, and university regulations.
- Oversee proposal preparation and submission process.
- Pre-award duties in providing oversight of Federal and non-Federal grants for the College of Arts & Sciences.