Office of the Dean
Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
155B McMicken Hall (ML 0367)
- Responsible for the overall achievement of the college mission
- Foster faculty and student research, and promote collaborative endeavors
- Manage the college's full range of operations, including strategic, programmatic, financial and fiscal
- Develop and execute an effective strategy for college fundraising
- Corresponds with faculty, staff, students, alumni and administration; across departments; within the university; and throughout the community at large
- Supervises, appoints, and reviews all assistant and associate deans
- Oversees the Humanities division, including Classics, English, German Studies, History, Judaic Studies, Philosophy, and Romance Language and Literatures
- Represents the Dean's office on the Undergraduate Directors Council, the Instructional Innovation Advisory Committee (iiAC), and the University-Level Academic Commitee
- Supports writing-enriched curriculum throughout the Arts and Sciences
- Serves as liaison to the Taft Faculty Board
- Oversees the Natural Sciences division, including Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Geography, Geology, Mathematical Sciences, Neuroscience, Physics, and Psychology
- Works with College staff to manage the A&S grants portfolio
- Works on the development of new interdisciplinary partnerships among departments and colleges in research and teaching
- Represents the College in initiatives developed in collaboration with the Office of Research
- Oversees the Social Science Division, including Africana Studies, Anthropology, Communication, Journalism, Political Science, Sociology, and Women’s Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Represents the Dean's office with the following groups: Research Advisory Board, IRB Advisory, Faculty Senate, and the Innovation Council
Littisha A. Bates
Associate Dean for Inclusive Excellence and Community Partnerships
- Leads the college in our effort to be a leader in equity and inclusion
- Establishes and supports college-wide equity and inclusion policies impacting students, staff, faculty and our community.
- Oversees the implementation of college wide equity and inclusion policies
- Acts as the college’s liaison for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Cultivates community partnerships
- Coordinates the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Manages human resources function to ensure that the college has an appropriate and diverse workforce, including oversight of organizational development; position planning; recruitment and hiring; training and staff development; and evaluation.
- Preparation and delivery of faculty offer letters
- College Administrator for the eRPT dossier system
- Oversight of Dean’s Office college records
- College-wide event planning and meeting coordination
- Provides vision, leadership and direction for the College of Arts & Sciences Declared Advising unit and the Center for Exploratory Studies
- Oversees all the College of Arts & Sciences Advising functions and supervises a team of 17 professional advisors
- Represents and Advocates for all Arts and Sciences advising needs in University Committees
- Student Retention and Success
- Students At-risk: Academic Alert and Probationary Students
- College Conduct Administrator---Academic Misconduct for undergraduate students
- College Liaison: GEN-1 Theme House
- Architect and Facilitator: Award-winning Cultural Competence Workshops for faculty and staff
- Co-direct the PR1ZE (Putting Retention 1st in the Zest for Excellence) Mentoring Program for African-American Students
- Advisor: Cariba Caribbean Student Organization
- Long-range Financial Planning
- Oversee day to day business operations
- Space and Facilities Planning
- Supervise the budget support staff in the college and oversee all business and financial matters for the college.
- Serve as a member of the Dean’s cabinet to advise the Dean and his leadership team on the management of all college finances and related matters
- Manage the college budget submission process including budget formulation
- Oversee (PBB) Performance Based Budgeting and the associated impact on the college
- Create proforma financial statements for new college ventures
- Develop navigational budget reports to aide in forecasting
- Assist the dean , faculty, and staff in the development of entrepreneurial and revenue-generating activities
- Provide advice and technical assistance to the Dean and department Heads on cost analysis, funds allocation, and budget preparation and management
- Work with the dean to develop and recommend financial and administrative policies and procedures that will help strengthen the college finances
- Development of Departmental PBB reports
- Partner with the Dean, Department Heads and the Provost office in helping us strengthen the financial position of the college
- Assist faculty and staff with researching, locating, developing, writing, and administering federal, state, and private grants, contracts, and external funding sources.
- Implement policies to ensure compliance with funding agency regulations
- Oversee and ensure compliance of grants.
- Conduct or carry out work procedures and activities in accordance with local, state, federal, and university regulations.
- Oversee proposal preparation and submission process.
- Pre-award duties in providing oversight of Federal and non-Federal grants for the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Chief development officer for the college
- Plan and execute fundraising activities for A&S
- Assist departments on fundraising efforts
- Manage A&S Foundation staff