Applying to the 4+1 MABA Program (UC Students)
- Students apply for initial admission into the program during their Junior year. You must have Senior status (a minimum of 90 semester hours) by the start of the following FALL term.
- Overall Undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Communication GPA of 3.4 or higher
- Note that after successful completion of the first year in the program and earning your B.A., students are admitted into the full-time program to complete their final year. See Admission requirements for details.
Once you assemble your application, put your materials in a file folder in the mailbox of Dr. John Lynch in the School of Communication, Film, and Media Studies Main Office (4234A Clifton Court Hall).
Your application should include:
- A completed Application Form.
- A Personal Statement. The personal statement should be approximately 3-4 pages in length. The statement should address: 1) Your goals in pursuing the MA degree in the field of communication, and our department in particular. This includes a description of your academic background and areas of interest in the communication field, as well as your professional (career) goals or academic (doctoral study) after graduation. 2) Your ability to succeed in a challenging program. The statement should clarify why you believe you are qualified and prepared to join the program. We are looking for a good fit between your goals and the program, as well as excellent writing skills
- Three Letters of Recommendation. These letters should come from individuals such as faculty, community partners or employers who can speak to the applicant's ability/achievement/potential/motivation for undertaking graduate study. At least one letter should come from a UC Communication faculty member.
- No official recommendation form is required.
- Recommenders can provide you with a hard copy to place in your folder, or they can email Dr. John Lynch at email@example.com or mail a hard copy to
Dr. John Lynch, Director of Graduate Studies of Communication, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0184
- Writing Sample. Provide a sample of your best writing. Academic writing such as a course paper is recommended, but other kinds of writing such as news articles would also be accepted. Length may vary. If the writing is shorter, you can submit more than one.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY THE SECOND MONDAY IN MARCH in the year prior to your start in the program.