MA in Professional Writing Program Application
|Type of Admission||Deadline|
|Indviduals Seeking Admission and
Departmental Financial Aid
|Currently Not Accepting Applications|
|Individuals Not Seeking Departmental Financial Aid||Currently Not Accepting Applications|
*Please contact department for current deadlines. The Awards and Admissions Committee will consider applications after this deadline as space is available. Regardless of financial aid need, it is in your best interest to apply early.
All applications are given careful and individual review. In some cases, students who do not meet the required GPAs and GRE scores may be admitted.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. BA in English is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.5
- GREÂ® General Test
Step 1: Online Application Submission
All Graduate programs at the University of Cincinnati require an online application.
- Click here to locate information on applying to the Graduate School.
- Click here to go directly to the Graduate School online application.
You will be required to submit the following materials as part of the Online Application:
- Letter of Intent: state academic goals and professional objective, recommended length one to two pages
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing samples (combine all samples into one document):
- Two substantial pieces of expository writing, 15 to 20 pages each (one of which is academic, if possible) or several shorter pieces (such as articles, reports, or instructions)
Note: The English Department does not consider the "optional" video submission that is offered as
part of the Graduate School's application process.
Step 2: Required Supplementary Materials
- Three letters of recommendation (no form required): Recommenders will submit letters through the Online Application system.
- Unofficial Transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended. These can be uploaded during your online application completion. Unofficial transcripts can take many forms, including a list of courses/grades from a previous academic institution's student portal, a copy of an official transcript, a picture of a transcript, or any other listing depicting your academic career.
Please note that although unofficial transcripts are highly recommended for the application, official transcripts will be required if admission is offered and you accept. In addition, official transcripts must be in final form (listing any degrees conferred). Official transcripts can be submitted as early as the day you accept admission and as late as the beginning of your first term of enrollment.
- GRE General Test Scores: Must be reported directly from GRE to the University of Cincinnati.
- Proof of English Proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English.
Submit Official Transcripts To:
Graduate School at the University of Cincinnati
110 Van Wormer Hall PO Box 210627
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0627