About the MAP and FAQs

About the MAP and FAQs

The MA Psychology Program:  Overview

The MAP program has two primary areas of focus:  Organizational and Community Psychology.  Both areas rely on a solid foundation in psychology, including an understanding of the factors that influence behavior (social psychology) and how individuals think, process information, and make decisions (cognitive psychology).  Both areas also emphasize the development of the statistical and methodological skills needed to assess individual, group, or organization-level phenomenon and to devise and test interventions designed for improvement.  

From a content perspective, organizational psychology is concerned with the study of workplace behavior.  Coursework focuses on understanding individual behavior at work, group processes, and performance management.  Organizational psychologists may pursue careers in a broad range of fields, including (but not limited to):

  • I/O Psychology
  • Human Resources
  • Employee Training and Development
  • Program Coordinator or Manager,
  • Organization Development and Consulting
  • Marketing
  • Program Evaluation
  • Career Coaching and Counseling 

Community psychology explores solutions to a wide array of community issues, from educational failure and chronic illness to substance abuse and violence.  Coursework focuses on understanding the attitudes and behaviors of members of various demographic groups or specific populations of children or adults and the social and community structures designed to support those groups.  Community psychologists may pursue careers in areas that include (but are not limited to):

  • Community Development and Education
  • Organization Development and Consulting
  • Program Evaluation
  • Family Advocacy
  • Education
  • Criminal Justice
  • Youth Protection

The MAP program boasts a small class size, admitting fewer than 20 students per year. This allows students to work closely with program faculty to identify elective coursework that fits most closely with their areas of interest.


Our MAP students have participated in a wide range of internship opportunities. If you are an employer and are interested in MAP students as potential employees or interns, please contact the program director, Dr. Stacie Furst-Holloway at furstse@ucmail.uc.edu

Who Should Apply to the MAP Program?

Individuals wishing to develop the knowledge base and skill set to work in industry or community organizations as organizational or community psychologists.

Importantly, this program does not provide a direct pathway to the PhD program at UC.  The MAP is also not designed for those seeking clinical training as it does not lead to licensure.  However, if MAP graduates decide to pursue a doctoral degree at some point in the future, some of the coursework may be applied to their doctoral program.  Regardless, application to the doctoral program is separate from the MAP.


What Does the Curriculum Look Like?

The MAP requires 30 hours of graduate coursework, as shown on the following page. Students in the program are required to complete an applied project with a professor or an internship with a local organization.

Importantly, students may need to stay in the program longer than one year depending on the scope of their capstone.

Click here for the MAP program curriculum


Where is the location of offices and classrooms for the MAP program?

All offices and most classes are held in the Clifton Court Hall building on the UC main campus.


Is there financial aid available?

Participants in the 4+1 option receive a 25% tuition discount. There are also other student opportunities and scholarships listed here.


What are the differences between the Industrial Organizational and Community Psychology tracks?

The Industrial Organizational psychology track is for those interested in organizational leadership and human resources but with a focus on research. Students interested in this field should take the PSYC6004: I/O Psychology course and related electives. 

The Community psychology track is focused on creating change at the community and individual level through research and work with local organizations.Those interested in this area should take the PSYC7005: Community Psychology course and related electives.

It is important to note that your transcript and diploma will not list your degree as master's in I/O or Community psychology. In the MAP program, your degree will be listed as MA in Psychology.

If you have any questions about deciding between these two areas, feel free to contact us.


What jobs are available after graduation?

There are a wide variety of jobs that I/O and Community psychologists perform. Depending on the job, a PhD may be required.

in Industrial Organizational psychology I/O psychologists may work with companies to help develop best practices for the workplace. According to the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, they can work in an academic setting doing research or teaching. Jobs are also available within government organizations and in human resources. For information on I/O psychology, more can be found here

According to the Society for Community Research and Action, Community psychologists have similar roles in that they do consulting work and research, but their expertise is used in organizations serving the community. More information can be found here

Students have the option to either apply for a PhD program after graduation or enter the workforce. If a student chooses to complete an internship as part of their capstone project, many have found jobs with the companies they have interned with.


How many years is the MAP program?

The MAP Program has 30 hours of coursework and is designed to allow students attending full-time to complete the program in two semesters.  However, we suggest that students wishing to use a full-time internship as their Capstone experience do so in the Summer after completing the two semesters of coursework. 


What is required to apply?

  • 18 credit hours of undergraduate coursework in psychology with a course in statistics. Work in a related field can be considered as a substitute for credits.
  • Transcripts
  • Personal Statement
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • University GPA of 3.0 Major GPA 3.2 or above
  • The GRE is not required for the MAP Program application


Do I need a psychology degree to apply?

No, a bachelor’s degree in psychology is not required. However, we do require students to have a minimum of 18 credit hours in Psychology, including an Intro to Psychology course.  Students must also have completed an approved statistics-research methods sequence.  In limited cases, the admissions committee may consider significant and relevant work experience as a substitute for some (but not all) of the Psychology pre-requisites.


What is the 4+1 Option?

University of Cincinnati Students have the option to complete coursework for the MAP during their years as an undergraduate student. Students must be pursuing a degree in psychology and must complete six hours of graduate courses from the MAP curriculum. Up to 12 graduate classes may be completed as an undergraduate in the 4+1 option. There is no application required for the 4+1 option, but those interested are strongly encouraged to meet with our Graduate Advisor who can be contacted at: bargersp@mail.uc.edu

Learn more about the 4+1 Option


When is the latest I can start the 4+1 program?

The latest a student can start is fall semester of their senior year. The student would then need to take one graduate class during the fall and one in the spring or two in the spring semester. Graduate classes are not offered in the summer.


What is the Difference Between the 4+1 Option and the MAP Program?

The two are the same, both have the same courses and require the same work. The only difference is that the 4+1 option allows students to get a head start on MAP classes by taking graduate courses during their undergraduate years. Admitted students into the MAP program who have completed the 4+1 also recieve a 25% discount if the MAP program is completed in one year. However, completing the 4+1 option does not guarantee a student admission into our master's program.


I would like to complete the 4+1 program but have too many requirements left for my undergraduate degree. Are there any options?

Students may finish their undergraduate courses over the summer and graduate in August if needed. It would then be possible to start the MAP program in the fall following graduation. Graduate courses are not offered in the summer and would need to be taken during the school year.