Creative Writing Track Poetry Focus
The Creative Writing Track of the English major is designed for students who wish to study the craft of writing as well as broaden their perspectives of literature to include that of the writer. In this series of workshops and literature courses, students hone their skills, insight, and confidence as writers and readers. The Creative Writing Track of the English major offers useful preparation for careers in writing and editing.
English Major: Creative Writing Poetry Requirements Checklist
This electronic requirement checklist can be completed and used during advising sessions or utilized to track the progress toward your degree.
- A minimum of 36 credit hours is required, with at least 15 hours in the chosen track.
- Only courses listed on this checklist count toward the major. If you wish to substitute a course, before taking it you must submit a petition to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- English Composition (ENGL 1001) is prerequisite to any English Major coursework.
- Although not required, It is highly recommended to complete the composition sequence (ENGL 2089: Intermediate Composition or equivalent) prior to beginning English Major coursework.
- The course links highlighted in red indicate that the course is offered in the Spring 2016 semester.
(1) Core Courses for All English Majors
- ENGL 3000 – Intro to English Studies
- ENGL 3006 –Intro to Shakespeare Survey: American Literature
- Choose 1: 15ENGL 2007 or ENGL 2008
- Survey: English Literature – choose 1: ENGL 2134 or ENGL 2135
- Global, Ethnic, & Minority Literature in English – choose 1:
(see below for list of approved courses)
(2) Required Creative Writing Poetry Track Requirements
- ENGL2017 - Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENGL3085 – Forms of Poetry
- ENGL4017 – Intermediate Creative Writing: Poetry*
*ENGL 2017 is a prerequisite
- ENGL5117 – Senior Writing Seminar: Poetry*
*ENGL 2017 and 4017 are prerequisites.
- Exploring Genres - choose one course from the list below
(3) English Electives
- Choose 2 English courses, at the 2000 level or above, for a total of 6 hours. No English elective credit is given for 2000 level composition courses (ENGL 2089 or it equivalent). One elective must be a Literature course.
See advisor for approval of courses not on the list; then, fill out a petition to substitute a course form and submit to Undergraduate Director.
- ENGL 2021 - World Literature I
- ENGL 2022 - World Literature II
- ENGL 2034 - Contemporary World Literature: Drama
- ENGL 2037 - Contemporary World Literature: Poetry
- ENGL 2045 - Lesbian and Gay Literature
- ENGL 2054 - Women's Literature
- ENGL 2057 - Twentieth-Century Women Authors
- ENGL 2059 - American Jewish Literature
- ENGL 2080 - Ethnic Literatures of the United States
- ENGL 2083 - African American Literature Survey I
- ENGL 2084 - African American Literature Survey II
- ENGL 3041 - Introduction to American Ethnic Literature
- ENGL 3042 - Topics in American Ethnic Literature
- ENGL 3044 - Interracialism
- ENGL 3047 - Jews and Race
- ENGL 3088 - American Women Writers to 1900
- ENGL 3089 - American Women Writers after 1900
- ENGL 3095 - Race, Ethnicity, and Film
- ENGL 3127 - Introduction to Critical Race Theory
- ENGL 3161 - Black Women Writers
- ENGL 3166 - Caribbean Literature
- ENGL 3177 - Global English Fiction
- ENGL 3178 - Transnational American Literature
- ENGL 3182 - Modernism and Postmodernism in World Fiction
- ENGL 4004 - African American Literature: Major Authors
- ENGL 4035 - Lesbian Literature and Psychology
- ENGL 2010 Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry & Prose
- ENGL 2011 Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENGL 2013 Introduction to Literary Nonfiction
- ENGL 2015 Introduction to Screenwriting
- ENGL 2027 Introduction to Creative Writing: Drama
- ENGL 3015 Poetry and Sound
- ENGL 3022 Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy
- ENGL 3023 Writing the Mystery
- ENGL 3025 Writing Historical Fiction
- ENGL 3026 Writing Fiction with a Global Vision
- ENGL 3027 Writing Comic Fiction
- ENGL 3028 Memoir as Literature
- ENGL 3030 Writing the Love Poem
- ENGL 3031 The Poet as Actor: Persona and Voice in Poetry
- ENGL 3032 Music and Poetry
- ENGL 3033 Writing Prose Poetry and Flash Fiction
- ENGL 3034 Audiopoetics
- ENGL 3054 Creative Writing Pedagogy
- ENGL 3086 Forms of Fiction
- ENGL 3087 Forms of Literary Nonfiction