Funding and Financial Aid

School Funding

The school funds a limited number of its graduate students to assist in their pursuit of degrees. Students applying to the school who wish to be considered for school funding must have their online application completed no later than January 15th for Fall Semester admission.  The primary form of funding is a graduate assistantship, which includes a stipend and is accompanied by a full tuition scholarship. The school will prioritize the funding of doctoral students with outstanding potential and will typically maintain that funding for four years when students continue to make substantial progress through the program.

Taft Research Center Funding

The School of Public and International Affairs is a designated recipient of funding from the Charles Phelps Taft Research Center. Our advanced graduate students receive grants to support research and travel, conference participation, and workshop training. The school awards one to three Taft Dissertation fellowships each year. These fellowships include a stipend plus an accompanying full tuition scholarship. Further information about the Taft Center’s programs can be found on their web site:

University Funding Opportunities

The Graduate School Distinguished Dissertation Completion Fellowship awards up to five fellowships annually to doctoral students in the final year of degree work to support superior scholarship that enhances the reputation of their program, school and the University of Cincinnati.

Incoming graduate students may be nominated by their programs for the Yates Scholars program. The mission of the Yates Scholars Program is to enrich the educational environment for all graduate students by supporting the recruitment and retention of underrepresented ethnic minorities who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents with high potential for academic success in UC graduate programs.

For more information about University of Cincinnati graduate awards, visit the Graduate School's Awards page:

International Students

Please consult the UC International Services web site ( for details of all documentation requirements for international students and for the necessary forms.