Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, founded in 1929 for the purpose of encouraging, stimulating, and maintaining excellence in scholarship and advancing the science of psychology. Membership is open to undergraduate psychology majors who meet the minimum qualifications:
- Be enrolled as a major or minor in psychology
- Have completed at least 3 semesters (or equivalent) of full-time college coursework
- Have completed at least 9 semester credit hours (or equivalent) of psychology courses (excluding the Introduction to Psychology course)
- Have earned a cumulative GPA that is in the top 35% of their class (sophomore, junior, or senior) compared to their classmates across the entire UC College of Arts and Sciences
- Have a minimum 3.00 GPA average for psychology courses
Benefits of Membership
- All Psi Chi memberships are for life.
- New members are presented with an official certificate of membership.
- More members continue their educations than the average student population.
- International recognition for academic excellence in psychology.
- Psi Chi is ACHS accredited, well-represented, and respected among professional ranks of all behavioral sciences.
- Psi Chi membership is an honor that can be noted on employment applications, vitaes, and resumes.
- More than $400,000 are available in annual awards, grants, and scholarships.
- Opportunities to identify and obtain psychology-related careers through the Career Center.
- The U.S. government accepts membership as one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level for numerous professional and technical occupations.
- Psi Chi provides a great opportunity to network with fellow psychology majors and faculty.
- Opportunities to become a published author in Psi Chi’s peer-reviewed journal and other publications.
- Opportunities to develop one-on-one mentor relationships with professionals in all areas of psychology.
- Psi Chi research opportunities help prepare members for graduate school or the lab of their choice.
- Opportunities to attend educational programming provided by Psi Chi at local, regional, national, and international conventions.
- Opportunities to develop valuable leadership skills and experience by serving as a chapter officer, volunteering at Psi Chi conventions, and/or joining regional steering committees.
- Access to online resources featuring relevant tools and articles about topics that matter most to students of psychology.
For More Information
If you would like to attend a meeting, please contact Dr. Sima Finy, Psi Chi Faculty Advisor, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (513) 556-5535. Applications for membership are accepted twice per year; psychology majors and minors are emailed information about applying for membership during the Fall and Spring academic semesters. Psi Chi welcomes new ideas, diverse perspectives, and a broad representation of social identities and cultural backgrounds. Become a part of the largest student psychological organization in the world!
2020-2021 Psi Chi Executive Board:
· President: Mya Jones
· Vice President: Jordan Espinoza-Hoover
· Treasurer: Elizabeth Herbert
· Secretary: Grace Garber
· Public Relations Chair: Hasan Khan
· Membership Chair: Shannon Healy