The A&S Rodriquez “Ricky” Wooten Employee Emergency Support Fund
The A&S Rodriquez “Ricky” Wooten Employee Emergency Support Fund (Fund) provides financial assistance to A&S staff and faculty who are experiencing an immediate financial hardship due to a sudden or non-recurring emergency (e.g., loss of family income, new or additional expenses related to COVID-19, death of a family member, serious illness or injury, natural disaster).
Financial assistance can be granted, up to a maximum of $500 (net, as this is taxable income) per applicant per calendar year, to assist A&S staff and faculty with rent, mortgage, utilities, food, childcare, transportation, medical, funeral, or other essential expenses. The amount granted is based on the applicant’s demonstrated need and available balance of the Fund. The financial assistance does not need to be repaid; however, it is taxable income.
A&S staff and faculty who are eligible must apply for financial assistance online. Applications are strictly confidential, and all identifying information will be removed before the application is shared with the A&S Fund Review Committee. The review committee will be made up of at least three members of staff and faculty within the College of Arts and Sciences. For the purposes of anonymity all inquiries on applications should be sent directly to email@example.com.
In addition to the A&S Employee Emergency Support Fund staff and faculty are encouraged to seek other solutions to assist during their time of hardship. A list of alternative resources can be found below.
- Be either an active full-time or part-time benefits-eligible A&S staff or faculty;
- Provide supporting documentation (e.g., lease, mortgage statement, bills, spouse/partner's layoff notice, paystubs, death certificate, fire or police report);
- Not have received the maximum of $500 (net) within the allotted time period from the Fund.
- All applications are anonymously reviewed by a three-person committee comprised of A&S staff and faculty.
- The applicant will download and complete the application form.
- Applicant will submit the completed form and supporting documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The applicant and A&S HR each receive an email notification that the application has been submitted.
- A&S HR will confirm receipt of application within 48hours.
- A&S HR completes an initial review of the application and verifies the supporting documentation.
- To ensure an equitable and confidential review of applications, A&S HR will remove all identifying information of the applicant before sending the application to the Fund Review Committee.
- The Fund Review Committee reviews each application and notifies A&S HR of the funding decision.
- A&S HR sends the applicant an email notification of the committee’s decision.
- If the application is approved, funds will be disbursed as an award via payroll in the next pay cycle. Note that payroll deadlines for bi-weekly payroll is typically 7-10 days before the pay date and if that deadline has passed, the award would be in the subsequent pay-period. If the individual is on a monthly pay rotation, if the award is submitted by the 10th of each month, then the award will be included in the EOM pay. The exception could be December due to winter season months as the payroll deadlines are earlier. Please refer to the following links for the bi-weekly and monthly payroll deadlines.
Contribute to the Fund
The A&S Rodriquez “Ricky” Wooten Employee Emergency Support Fund is managed and administered by UC Foundation, and consists solely of voluntary charitable donations. Contributions to the Fund are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. Regarding tax information, donors should discuss any questions related to deductibility with a personal tax advisor.
- Any person or entity is eligible to donate to the Fund.
- Employees may donate to the Fund by cash, check, online donation or via payroll deduction.
- Donations can be made as a one-time gift or as an ongoing gift.
- Donations cannot be earmarked for specific individuals.