The A&S college advisors will help you with planning your college core requirements for graduation and progress toward your degree. (Faculty and departmental advisors in each academic department advise students on major requirements only.)
The McMicken College advising office is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., and is located at French Hall West, 2nd floor.
Appointments must be scheduled at least one day in advance and during the heaviest registration periods, you'll need to schedule at least two weeks in advance. Most appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes. However, one hour appointments are scheduled for new off-campus transfer students and students wanting assistance selecting a major.
Schedule Your Advising Appointment Online
So you need/want to schedule an advising appointment . . .
You said it and we listened: Online scheduling is available for students at the University of Cincinnati. The McMicken College of Arts & Sciences has started using a new online appointment scheduling tool for student convenience. The scheduling tool Starfish is integrated with your Blackboard to allow you to manage your appointments in real time.
To begin, you will need to follow these instructions:
Just click on "Starfish" in the Tools Menu on your Blackboard homepage.
- Find your advisor's name and click on "See available appointments." This will take you to the advisor's calendar.
- Scroll forward on the calendar to find an open appointment that is compatible with your schedule (open times will display a green circle with a "+" symbol next to the words "Sign up").
- Click on "Week" to see multiple days of your advisor's calendar at one time.
- During busy times of the semester, you may need to scroll forward several weeks to find an open slot.
- When you click on "Sign up," a small pop-up window will appear. You need to select the reason for your appointment. You have the opportunity to specify what you would like to discuss when we meet (this is an important step because it helps your advisor better prepare for the appointment).
- When you schedule, you will immediately receive a confirmation email and then an email reminder the day of the appointment (unless you customize your preferences otherwise).
- For further instructions please review this scheduling guide.
If you need help with this system, please call (513) 556-5860 or email email@example.com.
Now that you have the appointment scheduled, you will be able to manage your appointment. If you need to change, cancel or reschedule your appointment, you can log into Blackboard and Starfish and adjust your appointment to better meet your schedule or address your concerns.
When you are scheduling your appointment, as mentioned, you can share specific information you would like to discuss with your advisor during the meeting. This provides your advisor with the tools necessary to better assist you with your questions, and sometimes might be able to have all of the information you need and ready to discuss it upon your arrival.
If you would like to take your Starfish experience a step further, you can update your profile. You can import a picture, which will help your advisor to better recognize you by seeing your face with your name. Also, if your information is up-to-date on your profile page you should be easily accessible in case your advisor needs to get in touch with you regarding an important deadline.