Why study Sociology?
The Master of Arts in Sociology is primarily designed for students for whom the master’s is the final degree, but it also serves students who are preparing for a doctoral program. Training and coursework reflects the department faculty’s interests in social inequality, specifically in the areas of community and urban sociology, health and medicine, race and ethnicity, and gender and sexuality. The department is committed to diversity, and draws students from around the U.S. and internationally, and has a reputation for a friendly, collegial atmosphere.
The department offers a few different MA options:
- Students admitted to the Ph.D. program who do not already have an MA will earn one along the way. If you wish to receive a Ph.D. from UC eventually, you should apply to the Ph.D. program directly.
- Undergraduate students majoring in sociology at the University of Cincinnati can apply to the BA/MA (4+1) program, which will let them earn a Master's in Sociology with one additional year of study, without an MA thesis requirement.
- The department also offers a terminal one-year Master’s in Sociology, also without an MA thesis requirement.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate work and from M.A. or M.S. degree program(s)
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- A statement of purpose explaining why you wish to pursue graduate education in sociology, specifically addressing how your interests fit with those of department faculty
- A sample of your best academic writing
- Three letters of recommendation
- Evidence of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo) for all applicants who were educated in a country where the official national language is not English.
The MA program meets the needs of the State of Ohio and the tri-state region by training students for research positions in firms, hospitals, and government agencies, and preparing master's students for Ph.D. study. The department has an excellent placement record of graduates into appropriate employment or Ph.D. programs.
April 1, for fall enrollment.
301 Clifton Ct.
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0378
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 15MAS-SOC-MA