Romance Languages and Literature
Why study Romance Languages and Literature?
The Department of Romance and Arabic Languages and Literatures offers two areas of study at the Ph.D. level: Spanish literature & cultural studies and Latin American literature & cultural studies. Ph.D. students are encouraged to develop their own particular doctoral curriculum according to their fields of interest and to the topic of their dissertation.
At the Ph.D. level, we teach and model the complex critical and theoretical skills necessary to conduct literary research. With our nationally recognized language-instructor training and our careful mentoring in research methods, we prepare doctoral students for success in college-level teaching positions; our placement rate is excellent.
Please see the program website for further details.
- A recent MA degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university, preferably an MA in Spanish or French and a strong literary background
- A good foundation in Spanish or French language and literature
- A minimum GPA of 3.50
- GRE not required
- Curriculum Vitae (CV, resume, hoja de vida)
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from recent language or literature professors submitted through the UC online recommendation system
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A 500 word statement of purpose, preferably in the target language
- A writing sample in the target language
- For non native English speakers:
- TOEFL scores, the minimum: 520 (paper),190 (computer), or 80 (internet)
- Oral English Proficiency Test administered by UC before being allowed to teach
Please visit the Program website or contact the program director for information prior to applying to learn about application requirements or to inquire about materials that need to be submitted.
Deadline: February 1.
Clifton Court Hall 5270
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0377
Program Code: 15DOC-RLL-PHD