In 2008, The University of Cincinnati (UC) created the UC Center for Field Studies (UCCFS), designed as a nexus for environmental research and education for the Greater Cincinnati region and beyond. UCCFS is connected administratively to the UC College of Arts and Sciences with the initial involvement of the Center for Environmental Studies and the Departments of Biological Sciences, Geology, Anthropology and Geography.
The UC Center for Field Studies was made possible by a partnership with the Great Parks of Hamilton County. For research and educational purposes, students and educators have access to all 4,000 acres of the Miami Whitewater Forest plus access to the other 12,000 acres of their holdings throughout the county.
The UC Center for Field Studies provides unique opportunities for environmental education, research, and outreach. The location of the center allows access to a wide breadth of diverse, natural habitats, with easy access to rivers, mesophytic forests, wetlands, prairies, and geological features, all enshrined within a deep historic and prehistoric context. The original 1830 stone and brick farmhouse has been renovated to accommodate a classroom, library/computer lab space, and office facilities for students, and visiting researchers. The latest addition to the field station campus, a classroom and laboratory facility, was built with the help of a gift from the Court Family Foundation.
- 2013 - CARF
- Construction of the John C. Court Archaeological Research Facility (CARF) is complete and the first courses are held in this facility.
- 2013 - Duke Grant
- UCCFS receives first grant from Duke Energy to support two summer courses: Experiential Learning in Environmental Research and Interdisciplinary Field Experiences. These courses are designed for science teachers who seek to bridge the gap between the classroom and the world of environmental research.
- 2012 - NSF Grant
- UCCFS researchers are awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) for improvements in facilities, communications, and equipment at the Biological Field Stations
- 2012 - Hosting High School Students from Youth Conservation Corps
- Partnering with the Ohio River Foundation, UCCFS sponsored a three-week session on stream ecology for high school students from the Youth Conservation Corps.
- 2011 - Farmhouse Renovation
- UC renovates the farmhouse which is now used as a space for classrooms, offices, and a library.
- 2011 - Citizens Water Quality Monitoring
- UCCFS begins to host the “Volunteers Water Quality Monitoring Program.” Volunteers from across the county bring water samples from the Great Miami River to the field station every third Saturday of the month from spring through fall. Water samples are analyzed for 6 water quality parameters and recorded. 40-70 participants per month.
- 2009 - UCCFS Named
- The UC Board of Trustees voted to officially name the field station the “University of Cincinnati Center for Field Studies,” affirming its status formally as a University of Cincinnati facility.
- 2009 - John C. Court Facility Established
- $500K Gift Establishes the John C. Court Research Facility
- 2008 - UC Center for Field Studies Established
- The first courses are offered for credit at UCCFS. UCCFS receives their first grant from the National Science Foundation. UC acquired the field site and established the Cincinnati Center for Field Studies as a part of the UC21 Intiative.
- 1991 - White Water Shaker Farms Purchased
- Hamilton County Park District(now Great Parks of Hamilton County) purchased the White Water Shaker Farms.
- 1916 - Shaker Community Dissolved
- The Shaker community dissolved and sold the site to a private landowner.
- 1852 - Walker Farm Purchased
- The Walker Farm purchased by the White Water Society of Shakers becomes the South Shaker Farm