What is Chemistry?
The Department of Chemistry offers courses of study leading to the MS degree with opportunities for research in all major sub-disciplines: biochemistry, analytical, inorganic, organic, physical and theoretical/computational chemistry. The 4:1 student-to-faculty ratio assures students of individual guidance, yet the total size of the department provides excellent research facilities, as well as opportunities for collaborative and interdisciplinary study.
The program of study provides a good balance between formal course work and actual research experience with special emphasis given to preparing students for life after graduate school. First-year students select a research adviser before taking Introduction to Research in the winter, providing a smooth transition from the initial course work to the research phase of their graduate program. Regular departmental colloquia feature speakers from other universities and industrial and government laboratories discussing current research in chemistry. Students also participate in a weekly seminar program, gaining experience in presenting and discussing their own research. Students are encouraged to present their research at local, regional, national and international meetings, as well as publish their research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement of research interests (including area of proposed study such as organic, physical, etc.) and reason for wanting to attend the University of Cincinnati.
- GRE score >285 (verbal & quantitative)
- TOEFL score (international students only) iBT >85 (with speaking >17) OR IELTS 6.5+ OR Pearson Test of English (PTE) OR ELS Level 112 courses.
- Official transcripts of all colleges/universities attended (only required if accepting an offer of admission. Unofficial transcripts are used for evaluation purposes only).
AccreditationThe University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Master of Science Degree in Chemistry
Full-Time Program Duration
Uptown Campus West
1501-B Crosley Tower
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0172
Phone: (513) 556-3049