Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Michelle A Gibson
Title: Professor Emerita
Office: French Hall
Michelle Gibson is the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Women's Studies. She received her Ph.D. from Ohio University, where her areas of study were American Literature, Composition Research and Pedagogy, and Creative Writing. Her scholarship has continued in all three of these areas. Much of her work applies queer and postmodern identity theories to pedagogical practice and popular culture. She also continues to write and publish poetry. With Jonathan Alexander, she edits QP: Queer Poetry, an online poetry journal, and she and Alexander also edited a strain of JAC: Journal of Advanced Composition entitled "Queer Composition(s)". She co-edited (with Deborah Meem) Femme/ Butch: New Considerations of the Way We Want to Go and Lesbian Academic Couples. With Meem and Alexander she is writing Finding Out, an introductory textbook for use in introductory LGBT courses.
- Ph.D., Ohio University, 1993.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Gibson, Michelle & Deborah T. Meem (2002). Femme/Butch: New Considerations of the Way We Want to Go. Binghampton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Jonathan Alexander & Michelle Gibson (2004). Special Cluster: Queer Theory. JAC: A Journal of Composition Theory, 24(1).
- Gibson, Michelle & Deborah T. Meem (2006). Lesbian Academic Couples. Binghampton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Michelle Gibson (2004). The Peculiar Case of Contessa: Postmodernism and Basic Writing Pedagogy. Transformations, 15(1).
- Michelle Gibson, Deborah Meem, & Martha Marinara (2000). Bi, Butch, and Bar Dyke: Pedagogical Performances of Class, Gender, and Sexuality. College Composition and Communication, 52(1).
- Michelle Gibson & Deborah Meem (1996). Teaching, Typecasting, and Butch-Femme Identity. Feminist Teacher, 10(1).
- Michelle Gibson (1996). An All-Too-Familiar Paradox: Familial Diversity in the Composition Classroom. Writing on the Edge, Spring..
- Michelle Gibson (1993). Alone and Loving It: The Uses of Portfolio Evaluation for the Individual Writing Instructor in the Traditional University Setting. Journal of Teaching Writing, Winter..
- Michelle Gibson & Deborah Meem (2007). Basic Writing in America 1953-2004. In P. McAlexander and N. Greene (Eds.), After the Fall: The Life & Death & Life of a College, a Department, and a Basic Writing Program Cresskill, NJ: Hampton.
- Michelle Gibson, Deborah Meem, Martha Marinara (2003). Feminism and Composition: A Critical Sourcebook. Bi, Butch, and Bar Dyke: Pedagogical Performances of Class, Gender, and Sexuality New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Michelle Gibson (2007). Teaching Developmental Writing: Background Readings. In Susan N. Bernstein (Eds.), The Peculiar Case of Contessa: Postmodernism and Basic Writing Pedagogy New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Michelle Gibson & Deborah Meem (2006). Lesbian Academic Couples. In Michelle Gibson and Deborah Meem (Eds.), Performing Transformation: Reflections of a Lesbian Academic Couple Binghampton, NY: Haworth.
Work in Progress
- Meem, Deborah, Michelle Gibson, & Jonathan Alexander (2009). Finding Out: LGBT history, politics, and culture. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.