Carolette R. Norwood
Title: Assoc Professor
Carolette Norwood is Associate Professor in the Department of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies and affiliate faculty in Sociology at the University of Cincinnati. She earned a PhD in Sociology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and was an Andrew W Mellon Fellow at the Université de Montréal in African Demography. Dr. Norwood’s research and teaching epitomizes Africana. She has done work on African women and economic development which explores the limitations and possibilities of microcredit as a development strategy for women in Ghana and in Cameroon. Additionally, Dr. Norwood researches sexual health disparities for African American women in urban environments. With the generous support of University of California San Francisco, Center of AIDS Prevention Studies, Dr. Norwood is currently undertaking a study that explores the ways in which Black women navigate gender, race, place and space in high HIV prevalence neighborhoods. Lastly, Dr. Norwood is enagaged in two other innovative bodies of work: one she calls “interracial fertility” which empirically challenges the longstanding assumptions of Status Exchange theory and the other is something she terms Africana Feminism which examines the commonalities in Africana women’s lived experience under colonialism and slavery. Dr. Norwood’s publications appears in Development in Practice, the Journal of Asian and African Studies, Gender and Society, Journal of Black Psychology, the American Journal of Health Studies, Journal of International Women's Studies, Sociology Compass, etc.
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, 2004 (Sociology (Demography and International Development)).
- MA, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La, 1999 (Liberal Arts (and African American Studies)).
- BA, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La, 1997 (Sociology).
- BA, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La, 1997 (French).
Health Disparities, Urbanization, Jim Crow Black communities (segregation).
Reproductive and Sexual health/rights (HIV/AIDS).
Africana/Black Feminist Theory and Intersectionality.
Population Control Policy.
Interracial fertility in the US.
Women and Microcredit in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- (PI), Norwood, Carolette, Navigating Gender, Race, Place and Space in Urban Neighborhoods, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. (7193sc / R25HD045810), $25,000.00. 09-01-2012 to 07-31-2014. Status: Active.
- (PI), Norwood, Carolette, A Spatial Analysis of HIV/AIDS in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area 1990-2010., University of Cincinnati Third Century Faculty Research Materials Grant. $1500. 2015. Status: Completed.
- (PI) Norwood, Carolette, Women's status and HIV/AIDS risk prevention strategies: A mixed-method evaluation of the effects of Microcredit Participation in Yaoundé, Cameroon, Taft Research Center Direct Research Cost Grant. $1000. 2007. Status: Completed.
- (PI), (PI) Norwood, Carolette, Women's Status and HIV/AIDS Risk Prevention Strategies: A Mixed-Method Evaluation of the Effects of Microcredit Participation in Yaoundé, Cameroon , Faculty Research Support Grant (University of Cincinnati). $6500.
- (PI), Norwood, Carolette, Navigating Race, Sex, and Sexuality in Spatial Context of High HIV Prevalence, Charles Phelps Taft Research Faculty Release Fellowship. 100% salary. 08-2014 to 12-2014. Status: Complete.. 08-20-2014 to 05-20-2015. Status: Completed.
- (PI), Norwood, Carolette. Jim Crow Geography: Mapping the Intersection of Gender, Race, and Sexuality in Cincinnati's Urban Spaces. Charles Phelps Taft Research Faculty Center Fellowship. 100% salary. 08-2017 to 5-2018. . Status: Active.
- (PI), Carolette Norwood, Navigating Gender, Race, Place and Space in Urban Neighborhoods, The Cincinnati Project (University of Cincinnati). 2,500.00. BAD DATE to BAD DATE. Status: Completed.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- 2017, Decolonizing My Hair, Unshackling My Curls: An Ethnography of What Makes My Natural Hair Journey a Black Feminist Statement. International Feminist Journal of Politics. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14616742.2017.1369890.
- 2015, Condom Attitudes and Use among African American College Women Students (Norwood, Carolette and Zhang, Yuanting). Journal of Black Sexuality and Relationships, 2(1), 83-99. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/597294/pdf
- 2014, Microcredit and Women’s Empowerment in Rural Ghana. Journal International and Development Studies, Volume 4: 128-58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513662/
- 2013, Perspectives in Africana Feminism. Sociology Compass, 7(3): 225- 236. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/soc4.12025/full
- 2011, Factors that influence HIV testing among non-marginalized African American women. American Journal of Health Studies 26(4): 208-216. http://www.biomedsearch.com/article/Factors-that-influence-HIV-testing/308741493.html
- 2011, Women, Microcredit and Family Planning Practices: A Case Study from Rural Ghana. Journal of Asian and African Studies 46(2): 169-183. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21901899
- 2009, Rethinking the Integration of Women in Population Development Initiatives. Journal of Development in Practice 19 (7): 906-911.
- 2005, Macro Promises of Microcredit- A Case of a local eSusu in Rural Ghana. Journal of International Women’s Studies 7(1): 1-7. http://vc.bridgew.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1418&context=jiws
- 2016, Beauty and Body Image Concerns Among African American College Women (Awad, Germine H; Norwood, Carolette; Taylor, Desire S; Martinez, Mercedes; McClain, Shannon; Jones, Bianca; Holman, Andrea & Chapman-Hilliard, Collette). The Journal of black psychology, 41(6), 540-564.
- 2018, Leveraging Community Engagement to Develop a Culturally-Tailored Stress-Management Intervention (Jones, Holly; Norwood, Carolette; and Bankston, Karen). Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health, Accepted and forthcoming.
- 2014, Women's Empowerment and Microcredit: A Case Study from Rural Ghana. Journal of international studies and development, 4, 1-22. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513662/
- 2011, Women, microcredit and family planning practices: a case study from rural Ghana. Journal of Asian and African studies, 46(2), 169-83. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21901899
- 2018, Mapping Intersections of Violence on Black Women’s Sexual Health within the Jim Crow Geographies of Cincinnati Neighborhoods. Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies, Volume 39, Number 2, pp. 97-135 is now available: https://muse.jhu.edu/article/698454
- Norwood, C. (2014). "Where the women at? A Sociological Discussion of Haggai from a Feminist Perspective.” in Feminist Biblical commentary entitled Haggai and Malachi with Liturgical Press.
- 2000. Norwood, Carolette. “MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS” in World of Sociology – Encyclopedia, ed. Palmisano, Joseph M., Gale Group.
- 2000. Norwood, Carolette. “IMPERIALISM” in World of Sociology – Encyclopedia, ed. Palmisano, Joseph M., Gale Group.
- 2000. Norwood, Carolette. “COLONIZATION” in World of Sociology – Encyclopedia, ed. Palmisano, Joseph M., Gale Group.
- 2000. Norwood, Carolette. “DECOLONIZATION” in World of Sociology – Encyclopedia, ed. Palmisano, Joseph M., Gale Group.
- 2000. Norwood, Carolette. “POST-COLONIZATION” in World of Sociology – Encyclopedia, ed. Palmisano, Joseph M., Gale Group.
- Book Review (Invited)
Norwood, C. (2012). African Feminist Politic of Knowledge: Tension, Challenges and Possibilities by Akosua Adomako Ampofo and Signa Arnfred. Uppsala, Sweden: Nordic Africa Institute, 2010, 234. Gender and Society 26(1): 152-54.
Work in Progress
- Spatial Clustering of HIV/AIDS Prevalence in Cincinnati Metropolitan Area and Population Characteristics Associated with Case Concentrations in collaboration with Dr. C. Fichtenbaum (UC School of Medicine) and Dr. C. Kim (UC dept. of Geography)
- Predictors of Black-White Interracial (or Biracial) Fertility 1990-2000.
- Monograph: Jim Crow Geography: Mapping the intersection of gender, race, and sexuality in Cincinnati's urban spaces
- Community Based Participatory Research, Sexual and Reproductive Health in Cincinnati Low Income Neighborhoods, 2018- Present.
Carolette Norwood CV
[Link to more information]