POL and INTA Undergraduate Advising Resources


People in a conference room

Note that the content in this page is designed for students majoring in Political Science and International Affairs, or those who pursue minor in Political Science, or certificates in Security Studies, Legal Studies or International Human Rights. If you would like to declare any of these degrees or academic programs, please visit the Declaration of Major/Minor/Certificate page to complete the application form.

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences have A&S college advisors and faculty advisors. More information is available here. A&S college advisors are located in 2925 Campus Green Drive, 3rd floor, Mail Location 0037. Call for an appointment (typically 30 minutes) at least one day in advance 513-556-5860, go online to their Blackboard "My Advisor" tab or check our college's advising page. The A&S advisors for Political Science and International Affairs majors are Kevin Ploeger and Heather Kilgore. They are the primary contacts for inquiries and advising about the general education and major-specific requirements and course scheduling. To schedule an appointment with Kevin Ploeger, Heather Kilgore or another A&S advisor click here. Additionally, our department has some specific recommendations or expectations how our majors can fulfill some of the general education (A&S College) requirements. Check this video for details.

For advising about course content, specific programmatic requirements, professional opportunities and post-baccalaureate education, students should see their departmental advisor. The current list of advisors and their office hours is available here. If students are confused about some of the terms used by their advisors, they can consult the list or contact advisors, the Advising Coordinator or the Director of the Undergraduate Programs. If they cannot meet with an advisor during regularly scheduled office hours, they can do so by phone or email or request for an alternative appointment. Please, note that faculty advisors are available to meet with students during Fall and Spring Semesters and will not hold regular office hours during Winter and Summer breaks. In cases of emergency, students should contact the Undergraduate Director or the Achievement Coordinator.

How does advising work?

Two people in a conversation

Students can track their own progress through their degree audit on the university website.
Before contacting their SPIA advisor POL and INTA majors should consult the main advising documents available on this website that include the Undergraduate Handbook; the Undergraduate Advising Manual and the List with Frequently Asked Questions. If you are not sure about any of the terms used by your advisors, here is a glossary of the most popular terms used in academic advising at UC. Similarly, faculty advisors and students can contact UC staff, faculty and administrators serving as liaisons if they have questions or concerns about their area of expertise.

We offer two majors (POL and INTA), POL minor and four certificates: Security Studies (SSTD), International Human Rights (IHR), Legal Studies (LEGS) and Cybersecurity (CYBR).

Please note that effective Fall 2016 students will be required to complete POL 1001 (Power and Politics) to fulfill the Political Analysis requirement and POL 3001C (Quantitative Research and Data Analysis) to fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning requirement. POL and INTA majors need to complete 27 credit hours of upper-level POL Area of Emphasis and INTA Capstone and Groupings coursework. POL and INTA students will need to take 12 credits introductory courses in Political Science. More details are available here. For further details check POL and INTA curriculum guides, and other advising resources or contact your major advisor.

Students in a classroom

The Political Science curriculum consists of 42 credit hours of introductory and upper-level POL coursework. For the POL Program Description and major details & curriculum visit the school's webpage. POL Degree Requirements Checklist is available here. Check the informational video about POL major advising posted here.

The International Affairs Curriculum is an interdisciplinary major whose curriculum consists of 42credit hours of introductory POL coursework and upper-level INTA courses. For the INTA Program Description visit the school's webpage. INTA Degree Requirements Checklist is available here.

Please, note that the major requires twice as many hours in foreign language (FL) spread between one of two different foreign languages compared to POL or any other A&S Majors. Review the informational video about the FL requirement. Native and heritage speakers can request or apply for a waiver. 

Lastly, POL and INTA students need to complete a capstone in their senior year (1-2 semesters prior to graduation). Note that the School of Public and International Affairs schedules a total of six to eight 5000-level POL capstone offerings during a given academic year (2-3 in the Fall and 3-4 in the Spring) based on instructor and resource availability. Watch this instructional video for further details and available options. Undergraduate students will fulfill their capstone requirement by signing up for POL courses coded 5100-level while grad students should sign up for the same courses coded 6000-level. For example, if you are an undergraduate student, you will have to sign up for 5165 (Women and Sustainable Development); if you are a graduate student, you will have to sign up for the 6065 section of the same class. Undergraduate students are not allowed to register for 6000-level classes. For a list of capstone offerings and their brief descriptions visit the document posted here.

The Political Science minor consists of 21 POL credits which include three introductory and four upper-level POL courses and is recommended to students majoring in Journalism, Communications, History, Criminal Justice and others. Check the POL Minor Details & Curriculum here for additional information.


Students discussing in a classroom

The School of Public and International Affairs offers several certificate programs jointly with other programs or colleges.

The Certificate in Security Studies (SSTD) requires 21 credits of upper-level interdisciplinary courses and is recommended for POL and INTA majors, as well as Criminal Justice, History, Geography, Psychology, Economics and Business, and other majors. You can find here additional information about the certificate and a list of courses.

The International Human Rights Certificate (IHR) also requires 21 credits and is recommended to students who are interested to pursue professional specialization in law (domestic and international), political activism, human rights advocacy and others; strongly recommended among others for students majoring in Sociology, Philosophy, History Women, Gender and Sexuality (WGSS). The IHR certificate guide is available here.

Legal Studies Certificate (LSC) is offered effective Fall 2016 by the School of Public and International Affairs in partnership with the College of Law. It involves 18 credits and is highly recommended for pre-Law students and those who want to pursue legal career. Students need to complete POL 1090 Law Politics and Society, LAW 1010/MLTI 1010 Introduction to Law & the Legal Profession (3 credits) and 4 more courses (12 credits) from the Political Science and/ or the Interdisciplinary Pathways. For more information, visit the advising guide with the list of courses here.

Cybersecurity (CYBR) involves 12-36 credits and is offered in partnership with the Colleges of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services (CECH) and Engineering. Please note that the certificate requires 50% or more of the required coursework to be completed at CECH. Further information about this certificate is available here.

Students can also take a related minor or certificate with regional focus. The minor or certificate in Asian Studies requires 21 credit hours, which can be fulfilled entirely through POL and INTA classes on Asian Politics, the U.S. and Asia, and International Relations in Asia; or through a combination of Asian language classes and non-language INTA classes on Asia. Further information is available here.

Similarly, students can complete a certificate in European Studies (18 credits) which requires several POL, INTA and foreign language classes with focus on Europe. Further information is available here.

Special cases:

Transfer and transition students are encouraged to first meet with their A&S Advisor. If they have completed some POL or INTA coursework, they should set up an appointment with their faculty advisor and the Advising Coordinator. Visit this link here for a list of POL courses, their numbers, and other course-related details.

Students interested to pursue semester abroad programs should visit UC international's website or view a list of available short and long-term course opportunities here. School of Public and International Affairs occasionally offers a faculty-led program to The Hague and Brussels.  

Check with your major advisor or Undergraduate director for approval of your coursework and how it will transfer to UC. List of POL courses is available here.

Again, below is the list documents available on the portal (click on the name of the document):

Other Reference Materials include:

Also, please check the following instructional videos about aspects of POL and INTA major advising (note that a new information system, Catalyst, was introduced in Fall 2016). The instructional videos will be updated to reflect the new system as well: