Media Technology & Society
This concentration examines the role of media and technology in society and culture. Students learn to access, interpret, analyze, and produce media messages.
Omotayo Banjo, PhD (Penn State University, 2009) focuses on representation and audience responses to racial and cultural media. Her work has been published in peer reviewed journals including Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,...
Pamara Flora Chang, Ph.D. (Cornell University), is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Cincinnati. Her research program explores health, interpersonal, and computer-mediated communication. She is interested
Ronald L. Jackson II is past co-editor (with Kent Ono) of Critical Studies in Media Communication. His research explores empirical, conceptual, and critical approaches to the study of masculinity, identity negotiation, Whiteness, and Afrocentricity..
Eric Jenkins, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in Communication at the University of Cincinnati. He studies the connection between media technology and consumerism, with a particular focus on visual media. His theoretical perspectives include...
Dr. Jennings studies the impact of media on the lives of children and their families and public policies and practices involved with children’s media. Her research focuses on children's cognitive and social development and their use of media. ...
Tony Liao is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Cincinnati. He received his Ph.D. from the Department of Communication at Cornell University. He also holds an M.S. in Communication from Cornell...
- COMM 1055: Freshman Seminar: Comm & Society
- COMM 2025: Introduction to Media Literacy
- COMM 2026: Introduction to Mass Communication*
- COMM 2028: Communication & Popular Culture*
- COMM 2089: The Internet and Everyday Life*
- COMM 3026: Media Impact
- COMM 3032: Communication & Augmented Reality
- COMM 4016: Children & Media*
- COMM 4026: Media & Public Opinion
- COMM 4029: Media & Technology*
- COMM 4046: Theory of Mediated Comm: Effects
- COMM 4047: Theories of Mediated Communication
- COMM 4048: Media & Identity*
- COMM 4089: Information Society
- COMM 5026: Capstone in Media*
Parentheses = Pre-req | Asterisk = Online Section Available | Bold = Filfills Department's Diversity & Inclusion Requirements
- Take PD 2070 during your sophomore year to learn about experiential learning opportunities.
- Channels 5, 12, 19
- City Beat
- NBC Universal
- The Owens Group
- Cincinnati Cyclones
- iHeart Radio
- Walt Disney World
- TBS Sports
- Our Social Media & Promotions Team shapes departmental culture through visual branding, promoting academic and social events, and maintaining a vibrant social media presence. Please contact Professor Amber Gee (email@example.com) for more information.
Minors (E-Media), certificates (Sport Media & Promotion, Journalism, Digital Engagement), and courses in popular culture, multimedia writing, media production & media management complement this concentration.
- AFST-2032: Black Popular Culture
- EMED-1001: The Media in Your Life
- EMED-1015: Integrated Media Production
- EMED-2016: Writing for Media
- ENGL-3072: Multimedia Writing
- IT-1040: Website Creation & Mgmt
- IT-1050: Fundamentals of IT
- PSYC-2060: App Development & Gaming
- SOC-3015: The Media & Society
- WGS-2061: Gender in Popular Culture
- Option 1: Majors accepted into our 4+1 Program take graduate classes their senior year. After earning their BA degree, students in good standing are formally admitted to the graduate program and complete their MA degree in one additional year.
- Option 2: Most traditional graduate programs require 2 additional years of education. These options complement a Communication BA:
- MA in Journalism
- MA in Media Studies
- MA in Multimedia Communication MS in Information Technology
- App Developer
- Audience Research Analyst
- Editorial Staff
- Freelance Writer
- Media Advertising & Sales
- Media Consulting
- Media Marketing & Research
- Multimedia Writer
- Social Media Manager