< Back to list
Dr. Ivan Dinev Ivanov has taught at the University of Cincinnati, Georgetown College and Muskingum University. His primary areas of teaching and research interests are international relations and comparative politics with focus on international security, alliance politics and NATO. Also, his regional focus is Europe and the Middle East, as well as various aspects of international cooperation, politics of transition and economic development. His book entitled "Transforming NATO: new allies, missions and capabilities" was published by Lexington Books/ Rowman & Littlefield Publishers in 2011 (paperback, April 2013, Chinese edition 2014). Author's update is posted here. For additional information and recent updates about his research, please visit Dr. Ivanov's Academia.edu webpage.
Dr. Ivanov also serves as Director of Undergraduate Studies and works with International Affairs and Political Science majors transferring to UC, planning to study abroad, as well as students pursuing Certificate in Security Studies. He is also primary contact person in the Political Science Department for questions related to requirements for graduation, semester conversion and study abroad. Dr. Ivanov was awarded the 2012 Sarah Grant Barber Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award at the University of Cincinnati. Updated information about his course offerings and office hours is available here. For list of other advisors and their office hours, please visit the department advising webpage. Detailed information about our programs and specific programmatic requirements is available on the Undergraduate Advising Portal. Make sure to review the documents and videos before signing up for an appointment. If you are interested to complete academic credit for your internship, visit the Internship for Academic Credit page for more information. Note that you need to obtain permission to register for POL 4090 (offered in the Fall).
Dr. Ivanov leads a study abroad program on International Institutions and Global Governance (POL 2097) which takes students to Brussels and the Hague. The program will be offered again in Spring 2019 via the University Honors Program. For up-to-date information please visit the program's webpage (note that the application deadline for 2019 is early September 2018).
Please, visit his webpage if you need a letter of recommendation or click here for detailed instructions. Master students who need a reader for their MA thesis or professional paper should click here for more information about my rules and expectations.
Dr. Ivanov won the May 2017 e-Learning Champion award for his use of Echo 360 lecture capture and engagement software in the POL 1080 Introduction to International Relations. Here is more information about the award. Below is a link to his interview in McMicken Monthly (January 2012) featuring his book on NATO: Q&A: Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Political Science – NATO Changed But Still Relevant. His current research on NATO partnerships and smart defense was profiled in UC
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2012). Beyond the Clash of Civilizations: the Role of Religion, Ethnicity and Security on
the Conflict in the Caucasus. Contemporary Security Policy, 33 (1). [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2011). NATO’s Relations with Its New Members and Partners: Contributions to
Peacekeeping, Counterterrorism and Humanitarian Missions. Strategic Insights, 10 (4). [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2010). The Relevance of Heterogeneous Clubs in Explaining Contemporary NATO Politics. Journal of Transatlantic Studies, 8 (4). [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2015). Teaching Southeast Asia Interactively: a Case of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Plus Three Simulation. Education About Asia, 20 (1), 47-51. [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2015). Emergence, Dynamics and Institutionalization of UN-NATO Cooperation in Kosovo and Afghanistan. European Review of International Studies, 2 (3), 69-85. [Link]
- Dinkov, Dinko (ed.) (2006). The EU Eastern Enlargement and The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Migration (in Bulgarian) . Bulgaria's Accession to the EU and the Role of the Country in the New International Division of Labor.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2011). Transforming NATO: new allies, missions and capabilities. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books/ Rowman and Littlefield Publishers (paperback, April 2013). Chinese edition published by China Center for NATO Studies and World Knowledge Press, 2014.. [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2017). “European Security at a Crossroads? Institutionalization of Partnerships and Compliance with NATO’s Security Policies” . In Rebecca Moore and Damon Coletta (Eds.), NATO’s Return to Europe: Engaging Ukraine, Russia and Beyond (pp.135-166). Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press. [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2009). Review of Simon Chesterman and Chia Lehnardt, From Mercenaries to Markets: The Rise and Regulation of Private Military Companies., 38 (1) Millennium Journal of International Studies.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2009). Review of Ken Booth and Nicholas Wheeler, The Security Dilemma: Fear, Cooperation, and Trust in World Politics., 30 (1) Contemporary Security Policy.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2009). The Administration of President Barack Obama and the U.S. Foreign Policy of Engagement (in Bulgarian)., 2 Legal World.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2011). Review of Gulnur Aybet and Rebecca Moore (eds), “NATO in Search of a Vision” . Book Review, 24 (3), 555-557 Journal of Slavic Military Studies.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov and Jon Ross (2012). 2012 APSA Teaching and Learning Conference. Track Summary on Simulations and Role Play II: International Relations and Comparative Politics., 45 (3), 535-536 PS: Political Science and Politics.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (2015). Review of Atanas Gotchev’s “Conflict: Early Warning and Preventive Diplomacy” (in Bulgarian Атанас Гочев, “Конфликтът—ранно сигнализаиране и превантивна дипломация”). Book Review, 2 (1) European Review of International Studies.
Presentations & Lectures
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (09/12/2014). Why Partnerships Matter? Cooperation and Smart Defense: the Case of NATO’s Partnership for Peace Program University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (02/22/2014). “The Crisis in Ukraine: Domestic, Regional and Institutional Implications” McMicken College Roundtable Discussion and at Organizers of the Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (02/22/2013). Contending Visions about the Future of Democracy in Europe’s Periphery European Studies Seminar “Vision of Europe’s Future” , Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (11/16/2011). Legitimizing the Use of Force: the cases of the United Nations and NATO International Education Week 2011, Morehead State University.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03/25/2010). NATO, the United States, and the Stabilization of Afghanistan Symposium on International Security, Morehead State University.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03/23/2009). “One Language: A World of Possibilities” Phi Sigma Iota induction, Muskingum College, New Concord, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (05/07/2008). “Senator Robert A. Taft, NATO and U.S. Foreign Policy” Third Taft Annual Research Symposium, University of Cincinnati.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (12/11/2007). “NATO’s Transformation from the Perspective of Club Goods Theory and the Concept of Complementarities” joint meeting of the Departments of Political Science and International Relations, University of National and World Economy, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (09/24/2015). A Global Migration Crisis Taft Research Center’s Global Studies Research Group , Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (05/27/2016). “Explaining the Emergence, Dynamics and Institutionalization of Inter-Organizational Cooperation: the cases of UN-NATO Collaboration in Kosovo and Afghanistan” Graduate Seminar on Regional Security Challenges , Sofia Bulgaria .
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (09/12/2014). Why Partnerships Matter? Cooperation and Smart Defense: the Case of NATO’s Partnership for Peace Program Graduate Program in International Relations at the University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Joel Wolfe (01/23/2015). “Europe’s Financial Crisis: Austerity and Debt” European Studies Seminar “Europe in Times of Crisis” , Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Willard Sunderland (04/11/2017). Panel Discussion on Current Events in Russia and Eastern Europe Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (10/14/2017). Roundtable on NATO’s Return to Europe 017 ISSS-ISAC Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (10/03/2017). "Engaging Students with Echo 360: Evidence from an Introductory Course in International Relations" 2017 Echo 360 Active Learning Conference, Washington, D.C..
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (06-2014). The Impact of Geography on NATO’s Smart Defense Projects” . joint ISA and Political Demography and Geography Conference at Collegium Civitas, Warsaw, Poland.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03-2014). Partners in Peace? Un-NATO Constructive Cooperation in Afghanistan, 2001-2012 . 2014 International Studies Association Annual Meeting , Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (08/31/2013). The Effect of NATO partnerships on Alliance's smart defense . American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (06/27/2013). NATO Partnerships and Smart Defense: How the Alliance Influences Security Policies in Partner Nations. Peace Science Society and ISA (PSS-ISA) joint meeting, Budapest, Hungary.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov and Michael Schroeder (04/04/2013). Effective Partners? NATO-UN Cooperation in Post-Conflict Settings. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (04/12/2012). Institutional Partnerships, Military Transformation and Contributions to Overseas Operations: Strategies Used by NATO to Engage Partners. Midwest Political Science Association,, Chicago, IL.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (04/01/2012). Defining and Managing Cyber Threats: NATO’s Response to the New Challenges of the Modern Information Age. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov and Jim Masterson (02/18/2012). The Effectiveness of Inter-institutional Collaboration in Designing and Conducting Simulations: the case of ASEAN Plus Three Meeting. American Political Science Teaching and Learning Conference, Washington, DC.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03/16/2011). The Relevance of Economic, Organizational, and Socio-Cognitive Perspectives in Explaining the Downsizing of Military Bureaucracies: The Case of Ukraine. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (02/17/2010). Effectiveness of Military Transformation: Does NATO Membership Matter?. nternational Studies Association (ISA) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (02/15/2009). Continuity and Change of Alliance Transformation: the case NATO’s involvement in Afghanistan . 50th International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Meeting, New York City.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03/30/2008). Structural, Bureaucratic, Organizational and Elite Frameworks of Explaining Military Transformation: the case of NATO . 49th International Studies Association (ISA) 2008 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (10/05/2007). Complementarities and Heterogeneity: The Case of NATO's Transformation as a Club. 32nd Annual European Studies Conference, Omaha, Nebraska.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (09/22/2007). Alliance Transformation and the Concept of Complementarities: the case of post-Cold War NATO. Third Pan-European Conference on EU Politics, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (04/22/2006). NATO Expansion in an Imbalanced International System: the relevance of security communities. 64rd Annual National Conference of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03/25/2006). NATO Expansion and the Concept of Complementarities. 47th International Studies Association (ISA) 2006 Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (02-2015). Regionalism, Organizational Leadership and National Wealth: the Case NATO’s Smart Defense Projects. 2015 International Studies Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. [Link]
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (03-2016). The Role of Inter-organizational Cooperation on the Management of the Peace Process in Post-Conflict Settings: Lessons from Kosovo and Afghanistan. Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Atlanta, GA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Igor Kovac (09-2016). Asset Fungibility and Organizational Adaptability: The EU and NATO’s Approaches to Managing and Regulating Cyber Threats. American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Lyubov Grigorova Mincheva (04/05/2018). The EU and NATO’s Asset Fungibility and Organizational Adaptability in Energy Security. 2018 ISA Annual Meeting and 2017 ISSS-ISAC Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA/ Washington, DC.
- Ivan Dinev Ivanov (04/05/2018). Understanding Organizational Response to Emerging Threats: Toward a New Typology to Studying International Organizations. 2018 ISA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Honors & Awards
- Sarah Grant Barber Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, UCUAADA, 06-2012. for contributions to the
quality of academic advising of UC students.
Experience & Service
- Murat Haner (Master), Chair. Status: Completed (08/31/2014)
- Ali Alghonas (Master), Chair. Status: Completed (12/31/2012)
- Undergraduate Advising Coordinator,
- Undergraduate Committee Member,
- Committee Chair, Senior thesis committee (2 students),
- Committee Chair, MA Thesis Committee (3 students),
- Committee Member,
- Committee Member,
- 08/26/2013 UC Research Examines NATO and Its “Smart Defense” Focus in Era of Economic Uncertainty UC Magazine.
- 01/24/2012 Q&A: Ivan Dinev Ivanov, Political Science -- NATO Changed But Still Relevant McMicken Monthly.
- 15-POL-180 INTRO TO INTL REL
- 15-POL-577 GOV & POL:EUROPE I
- 15-POL-589 INTL CONFLICT
- 15-POL-580 INTERNATL POLITICS
- 15-POL-574 GOV&POL:EAST EUROPE
- ALLIANCES AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
ALLIANCES AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- US FOREIGN POLICY
US FOREIGN POLICY
- PROSEMINAR IN IR
PROSEMINAR IN IR
- RESEARCH SEMINAR IN IR
RESEARCH SEMINAR IN IR
- International Cooperation
- International Institutions