Faculty & Staff
Professor Lewis's research interests are at the intersection of law and politics in America. He is particularly interested in legal advocacy, rights politics, First Amendment law, religious political behavior, and the engagement of religious groups in politics and law. Professor Lewis's areas of expertise are conservative politics and religion and politics, with a focus on evangelical political engagement. His research engages the fields of political behavior, law and courts, interest groups, law and society, and religion and politics.
Professor Lewis's research has appeared in many social science journals. He also has a book about the growth of rights politics within conservative Christianity under contract Cambridge University Press that should be released in Fall 2017. Professor Lewis also occasionally contributes to FiveThirtyEight, as well as other media outlets.
In addition to his research, Professor Lewis is the Book Review Editor at Politics & Religion, the academic journal for the Religion and Politics Section of the American Political Science Association. He is also the director and creator of the Legal Studies Certificate at UC.
- Ph.D., American University, Washington, DC, 2011 (American Politics Law and Society).
- M.A., Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, NC, 2006 (Ethics).
- B.S., Truman State University, Kirksville, MO, 2003 (History).
- Lewis, Andrew R. (2014). Staffing the Front Lines of the Culture War: Constituency Religious Effects on Assignment to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Congress & The Presidency, 41 (2), 167-189.
- Djupe, Paul A., Andrew R. Lewis, Ted G. Jelen, and Charles Dahan (2014). Rights Talk: The Opinion Dynamics of Rights Framing. Social Science Quarterly, 95 (3), 652-668.
- Lewis, Andrew R. (2014). Abortion Politics and the Decline of the Separation of Church and State: The Southern Baptist Case. Politics & Religion, 7 (3), 521-549.
- Lewis, Andrew R. (2011). Representing the Faithful in Legal Advocacy? Evaluating the Congruence in Baptist Church-State Advocacy. Politics & Policy, 39 (3), 441-468.
- Wozniak, Kevin H. and Andrew R. Lewis (2010). Reexamining the Effect of Christian Denominational Affiliation on Death Penalty Support. Journal of Criminal Justice, 38 (5), 1082-1089.
- Lewis, Andrew R. and Dana Huyser de Bernardo (2010). Belonging without Belonging: Utilizing Evangelical Self-Identification to Analyze Political Attitudes and Preferences. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 49 (1), 112-126.
- Djupe, Paul A., and Andrew R. Lewis (2015). Solidarity and Discord in Interest Group Memberships: How the Social Context Affects Interest Group Involvement. American Politics Research, 43 (3), 394-434.
- Lewis, Andrew R., Paul A. Djupe, Stephen T. Mockabee, and Joshua Su-Ya Wu (2015). The (Non) Religion of Mechanical Turk Workers. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 54 (2), 419-28.
- Djupe, Paul A., Andrew R. Lewis, and Ted G. Jelen (2016). Rights, Reflection, and Reciprocity: Implicdations of the Same-Sex Marriage Debate for Tolerance and the Political Process. Politics & Religion, 9 (3), 630-48.
- Lewis, Andrew R. (2016). Learning the Value of Rights: Abortion Politics and the Liberalization of Evangelical Free Speech Advocacy. Politics & Religion, 9 (2), 309-31.
- Lewis, Andrew R. (In Press). The Rights Turn in Conservative Politics: How Abortion Transformed the Culture Wars. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Djupe, Paul A., and Andrew R. Lewis (2015). Religion and Politics in the U.S. International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Science, 2nd ed
- Lewis, Andrew R. (2013). (Rev. of American Evangelicals Today by Corwin E. Smidt). Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. (pp.650-652). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
Honors & Awards
- Voinovich Collections Fellow, Voinovich Collections Fellowship Program, 01-01-2015 to 12-31-2015.
Experience & Service
- 2011 to 2012, Thomas W. Smith Postdoctoral Research Associate, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
- 2012 to To Present, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- -POL-3021 CON LAW FED SYST
- -POL-2019 THE AMER PRESIDENCY
- -POL-3022 CON LAW RTS + LIBS
- Level: Undergraduate
- Level: Undergraduate