STEM Awards and InternshipResearch Opportunities
EVST STEM AWARDS
The EVST Program encourages majors and minors to participate in research, attend conferences, and extend their learning experience beyond the campus border. To make this financially easier on students, EVST uses funding provided by the UC College of Arts and Sciences to support various undergraduate research and educational activities. These funds are a portion of the STEM fees paid by students. The application can be downloaded below.
One of the best ways to convince a future employer to hire you is to have documented work experience. All EVST students are encouraged to do at least one internship during their degree. Students may arrange their own placements, or may be assisted by the EVST program. Academic credit can be obtained by registration for EVST 5000 [Internship in enviromental studies]. This course is by permission only and requires that an internship agreement be approved by the EVST program. The agreement can be downloaded (below), completed and submitted PRIOR to the internship period. On completion of the internship, the workplace supervisor must submit a letter of evaluation to the EVST program director.
Research experience is especially important for students wanting to continue their education in a graduate program. Students may arrange to do this with UC faculty (for credit or under summer STEM funding). They are also encouraged to apply to competitive summer research programs at the university (such as WISE), and at other institutions (REU). Those planning on entering the workforce following graduation should focus on securing an internship experience. The links below are a good starting point for both research, internship, and award opportunities
- UC Undergraduate Research
- UC Women in Science and Engineering Program (WISE)
- Ohio Environmental Protection Acency: Environmental Education Scholarships (OEPA_EES)
- National Science Foundation: Research Experiences for Undergraduates (NSF-REU)
- Department of Energy's Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
- Environmental Protection Agency Internship Program
- Federal Pathways Program for Students and Recent Graduates
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- Udall National Award