Biology Minor Curriculum
Students working toward an undergraduate degree at UC can earn a minor, while non-degree students (e.g., graduate students, non- matriculated students) can earn a certificate. The requirements are the same for both. See the Undergraduate Student Advisor in the Department of Biological Sciences to create a plan to meet the requirements outlined below.
Courses Required for the Biology Minor or Certificate
- Math: fulfills A&S math requirement. Each student must first take the ALEKS placement test, which will determine the appropriate courses to take for Math:
- Based on the ALEKS score, students may need to start with MATH1020 (5 credits) and 1021 (3 credits), OR MATH 1023 (5 credits) and 1024 (4 credits), earning a minimum grade of C- or better in each
- OR based on the ALEKS score, students may start immediately with MATH 1026 (Pre-Calculus; 5 credits) OR MATH 1044 (Applied Calculus I; 3 credits), OR MATH 1061 (Calculus I; 4 credits), earning a minimum grade of C- or better
- 3-14 credit hours
- "First Year" Biology sequence BIOL1081 and 1082 (both lecture and lab) - 8 credit hours, fulfills A&S natural science requirement.
- First-year Chemistry sequence CHEM 1040 and 1041 (both lecture and lab, and recitation) - 10 credit hours, also fulfills A&S natural science requirement.
- "Second Year" Biology - Take two of any three of the following sophomore courses: BIOL2083 Genetics, BIOL2085C Cell Biology (requires Genetics as a pre-requisite), or BIOL2084C Ecology & Evolution - 7 credit hours.
NOTE: Pre-Requisites (requirements) for enrollment in Second Year courses are:
- For Genetics, Cell Biology, OR Ecology & Evolution: a grade of C- or better in BIOL 1081 and 1082 (both lecture & lab)
- For Genetics only, a grade of C- or better is needed in General Chemistry I and II (CHEM 1040 and 1041, both lecture and lab)
- Two upper-level biology courses, one with lab - approximately 7 credit hours. *See the current list of "Upper Level Course". The choice of these should be discussed with the courses' instructors to prevent possible problems with lack of prerequisites such as organic chemistry or physics.
Total required for the minor = 35-46 credit hours
|(Finite Math &) Calculus 9-10 credit hours||(Finite Math &) Calculus 9-10 credit hours|
|Physics 15 credit hours||---|
|First-Year Chemistry 10 credit hours||First-Year Chemistry 10 credit hours|
|Organic Chemistry 16 credit hours||---|
|"First Year" Biology 8 credit hours||"First Year" Biology 8 credit hours|
|Genetics, Cell OR Ecology 7 credit hours||Genetics, Cell OR Ecology 7 credit hours|
|*Six upper-level biology courses, two of which must have laboratories 18-30 credit hours||*Two upper-level biology courses, one of which must have a laboratory approx. 7 credit hours|