What is Spanish?
The Department of Romance Languages and Literatures offers an MA in Hispanic literatures with emphasis on Spanish and Spanish American poetry, narrative, theatre, and film; interdisciplinary studies, literary theory and creative writing, teaching and pedagogy. The areas of faculty expertise span all the major periods of Spanish and Spanish American literature, and are active scholars at the national and international levels. Professors work closely with graduate students in their course work, and many of our students are engaged in joint projects or research and teaching with faculty members. In addition to financial support, the teaching assistants receive helpful supervision, including a two-week teacher training seminar prior to classes and an ongoing teaching practicum during the school year.
The graduate students are an essential and vital part of the Department. The success our students have had in finding teaching positions attests to the effectiveness of this program. Students are expected to register for three 4-credit courses each quarter, and expected to present for comprehensive examination in the spring quarter of their second year. The MA in Spanish at UC is an ideal degree both for students wishing to teach at high school or college level, as well as for students wishing to continue to the Ph.D. level.
- A bachelors degree or its equivalent, preferably in Spanish or literature
- Minimum GPA of 3.00
- GRE not required
- Curriculum Vitae (CV, resume, hoja de vida)
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from recent language or literature professors
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A 500 word statement of purpose, preferably in the target language
- A writing sample in the target language
- For non native English speakers:
- TOEFL scores, the minimum: 520 (paper), 190 (computer), 80 (internet)
- Oral English Proficiency Test administered by UC
AccreditationThe University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Master of Arts Degree in Spanish
Full-Time Program Duration
Uptown Campus West
717B Old Chem
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0377
Phone: (513) 556-0402
Dr. Patricia Valladares-Ruiz