Teachers of Mathematics
What is Teachers of Mathematics?
The Graduate Certificate for Teachers of Mathematics is intended for licensed teachers of secondary mathematics who are seeking the necessary credentials to be able to teach dual credit (college and high school) courses in their high schools. This certificate will provide teachers with the required 18 graduate credit hours of coursework in the discipline of mathematics.
This graduate certificate program requires three consecutive summers or two consecutive summers and the intervening academic year to complete. Teachers can enter the program any summer, as the courses are repeated on a 3-year cycle, with the coursework for the third summer offered during the first academic year of the cycle.
The summer courses, especially designed for teachers, meet in the mornings from mid-June into the second week of August. There are two terms each summer which do not conflict with secondary school calendars. The courses emphasize mathematical content, rather than methods of teaching mathematics.
Freshman Admission Requirements
- three semesters of calculus, up to and including multivariable calculus
- one semester of linear algebra
- one semester of differential equations
- calculus-based probability and statistics
- a course in elementary set theory and logic
Applicants should submit the following materials in order to be considered for acceptance:
- Transcript providing evidence of required preparation (may be unofficial for application; official transcript required prior to entrance into program)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A current CV
Ready to apply? Here is the link: https://apply.uc.edu/OnlineApply. If this is your first time applying to UC, click “Create New Account” on the left, then scroll down and indicate you are applying to “another UC graduate program.
The Graduate Certificate is an 18-credit program of coherent coursework in mathematics.
There are six required 3-credit course, which consist of two-course sequences in three areas. One sequence is offered each summer, with the remaining sequence offered during the academic year in between the two summers in which it is not offered. These required courses are:
- MATH 7071, 7072: Algebra & Number Theory I and II Properties of the Integers, Rationals, Reals, Complexes, and Integers mod m. Solutions of linear and quadratic equations. Division and Euclidean algorithms. Prime factorization. Number-theoretic functions, representations of numbers.
- MATH 7075, 7076: Geometry I and II Axiomatic and transformational geometry, both neutral and Euclidean. Topics in analytical geometry.
- Math 7079, 7080: Analysis I and II Theory of calculus of one variable. Continuity and differentiability. Riemann integrals and infinite series.
If you would like to submit an application for the Mathematical Sciences Graduate Certificate for Teachers of Mathematics, please visit our On-Line Graduate School Application and complete the form. The deadline for submission of applications is April 1.
AccreditationThe University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Degree in Teachers of Mathematics
Full-Time Program Duration
Uptown Campus West
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
PO Box 210025
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0025