Teachers of English
What is Teachers of English?
The Graduate Certificate for Teachers of English is intended for secondary school teachers of English who are seeking the necessary credentials to be able to teach dual credit (college and high school) courses in their high schools. This certificate will provide teachers with the required 18 graduate credit hours of coursework in the discipline of English composition.
This graduate certificate program requires completion of:
- four required courses consisting of Digital Composing, Advanced Composition, Theories of Composing, and Teaching College Writing, and
- two additional elective courses chosen from Rhetorical Grammar or Writing with Style, and from Topics in Rhetoric or Research Methods in Rhetoric and Composition.
Students successfully completing this program may apply to and continue in a master's degree program in Education.
Freshman Admission Requirements
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in any of the following areas:
- English (or an equivalent degree in the humanities)
- Secondary Education – English
- Middle Grades Education – English
- Minimum GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Official undergraduate transcript(s); if transcripts are 8 years old or more, candidate should append a section to the statement of purpose listed below in which he/she describes involvement in professional activity during this period. How does this activity contribute to the candidate’s preparation for the certificate program?
- 1-2 page statement of purpose, which should address what the candidate hopes to achieve or gain from the program.
- Three letters of recommendation that address the candidate’s investment in professional development and ability to complete post-baccalaureate academic work.
- Writing sample (this could include curricular materials, transcript of a conference presentation, formal paper, or equivalent materials).
Ready to apply? Here is the link: https://apply.uc.edu/OnlineApply. If this is your first time applying to UC, click “Create New Account” on the left, then scroll down and indicate you are applying to “another UC graduate program.”
AccreditationThe University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Degree in Teachers of English
Full-Time Program Duration
Uptown Campus West
Dept. of English and Comparative Literature
PO Box 210069
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0069