Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Kathleen M. Lynch
Office: 599A Blegen Library
Kathleen is a Classical Archaeologist who has worked on sites in Italy, Greece, Albania, and Turkey. In particular, she is a ceramic specialist interested in Athenian figured wares from archaeological contexts. Her research currently spans a number of ceramic related topics from issues of Attic chronology to iconography to symposia to the Greek household. In addition, her research considers the role trade played in shaping Attic potters’ and painters’ outputs. In general, the goal of Kathleen’s research is to place material culture back into its context of use in order to understand better the people who used the objects. She is currently publishing ceramic material from Troy, Gordion, and the excavations of the Athenian Agora.
Kathleen's book, The Symposium in Context, ASCSA Publications, won the 2013 AIA Wiseman Award for best book in archaeology, and she won the 2014 UC Dolly A.B. Cohen Award for excellence in teaching.
When she isn’t poring over pottery, she enjoys knitting and gardening.
For an up-to-date CV, see: classics.uc.edu/~lynch/nov14.doc
- PhD, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1999 (Classical Art and Archaeology; PhD thesis: "Pottery from a Late Archaic Athenian House in Context." Advisors: Malcolm Bell, III and Thomas H. Carpenter; committee members: John Dobbins, Patricia Wattenmaker).
- BA, Boston University, Boston, MA, 1989 (Biology, cum laude).
- MA, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1994 (Classical Art and Archaeology. MA Thesis: "The Roman Lamp Maker Faustus: An Interdisciplinary Analysis of his Products.: Advisor: John Dobbins).
- , City University of New York, 1990 (Summer Greek Institute).
- , American Academy in Rome, 1992 (Summer Program in Archaeology).
- , American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Athens, Greece, 1996 (-1997. Regular Member).
- , American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Athens, Greece, 1997 (-1999. Associate Member).
Greek pottery, its iconography, cultural uses and meaning; Greek and Roman Archaeology; Greek and Roman dining and drinking.
- Kress Publications Grant, American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 2005 to 2006.
- Solow Senior Research Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 2003.
- Homer A. and Dorothy B. Thompson Fellow , American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 1999.
- Samuel H. Kress Fellow, American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 1997 to 1998.
- John Williams White Fellow, American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 1996 to 1997.
- DuPont Fellowship, University of Virginia. 1995 to 1996.
- Greek Pottery at Gordion, American Research Institute in Turkey. 2007.
- (PI), Subvention support for the publication of The Symposium in Context, Loeb Classical Library Foundation. 10,000. 2010. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Davis, Jack; Lynch, Kathleen, Excavations at Bonjaket, Albania, Packard Humanities Institute. (07-1404), $70,632.00. 03/05/2007 to 03/04/2008. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Lynch, Kathleen; Thorn, Jedediah, Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant: The Italic Patronage of Early Apulian Red-Figure Pottery, National Science Foundation. (BCS-0854941), $1,350.00. 04/01/2009 to 09/30/2009. Status: Closed.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- (1995) "Desperately Seeking Faustus," Biblical Archaeologist, 58(2), p. 115.
- (2005) "When is a Column not a Column? Columns in Attic Vase-Painting?" ed. C. Mattusch and A. Donohue, Common Ground: Archaeology, Art, Science, Humanities: Proceedings of the 16th International Congress of Classical Archaeology, Oxford, pp. 372-376.
- Lynch and Papadopoulos (2006), "Sella Cacatoria: A Study of the Potty in Archaic and Classical Athens," Hesperia 75, pp. 1-32.
- Lynch and Berlin (2002). "Going Greek: Atticizing Pottery in the Achaemenid World," Studia Troica 12, pp. 167-178.
- (2002) "Three Mastoi from the Athenian Agora,” in M.L. Lawall, A. Jawando, K.M. LYNCH, J.K. Papadopoulos, and S.I. Rotroff, “Notes from the Tins 2: Research in the Stoa of Attalos. Hesperia 71, pp. 419-422.
- (2001) "Pelikai in Period of Use Deposits,” in M.L. Lawall, J.K. Papadopoulos, K.M. LYNCH, B. Tsakirgis, S. I. Rotroff, and C. MacKay, “Notes from the Tins: Research in the Stoa of Attalos, Summer 1999. Hesperia 70, pp. 171-173.
- (2009) "Erotic Images on Attic Pottery: Markets and Meanings," Athenian Painters and Potters II, ed. J. Oakley and O. Palagia, Oxford, pp. 159-165.
- (2007) "More Thoughts on the Space of the Symposium," Building Communities: House, Settlement, and Society in the Aegean and Beyond, ed. R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, British School at Athens Studies, London, pp. 243-249.
- The Symposium in Context: Pottery from a Late Archaic House near the Athenian Agora, Hesperia Supplement 46, Princeton, 2011.
- (2009) "The Persian Destruction Deposits and the Development of Pottery Research at the Excavations of the Athenian Agora," The Athenian Agora at 75, van Zabern, pp. 69-76. [also in German]
- (2007) "Athenian Black-Figured and Black Gloss Pottery," and "Attic Red-Figured and White-Ground Pottery," chapters in The Art of Antiquity: Piet de Jong and the Athenian Agora, ed. John Papdopoulos, Potamos Publishers, pp. 156, 176-220.
- J.L. Davis, V. Dimo, I. Pojani, S. R. Stocker, K. LYNCH, T. Gerke, E. Gorogianni, (2006). "Bonjakët Excavations, Apollonia: 2004-2005," L. Bejko and R. Hodges, ed., Current Developments and Future Directions in Albanian Archaeology: Festschrift on the Occasion of the 70th Birthday of Muzafer Korkuti, ICAA, Tirana, pp. 118-127.
- "Post-Bronze Age Pottery from the Palace of Nestor at Pylos, contribution to J. Davis, "Remembering and Forgetting: Pylian Pasts Pluperfect?" for Sheffield University Prehistoric archaeology colloquium.
- (2011) "Depositional Patterns in the AthenianAgora: When Disaster Strikes," Facta.
- "Drinking Cups and the Symposium at Athens in the Archaic and Classical Periods," for volume on Attic and Athenian Studies, accepted, revised, in press.
- (2001) "Pottery as Social Marker: Evidence for Increased Participation in Communal Drinking at the end of the Archaic Period from the Athenian Agora" [Abstract], AJA 105, pp. 268-269.
- (1999) "Black-figure, Red-figure and Communal Drinking in a Late Archaic Athenian Home" [Abstract], AJA 103, p. 298.
- of A. Tsingarida 2009, ed. Shapes and Uses of Greek Vases (7th-4th centuries B.C.), Brussels, in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 12, September 2010.[Link]
- of Ann Steiner, Reading Greek Vases, in New England Classical Journal, August 2007, pp. 252-254.
- "Pottery from the Bonjakët Site, Apollonia in Illyria," chapter for monograph, An Extramural Sanctuary at Apollonia, Albania, ed. J. Davis, submitted.
- "A Late Archaic Athenian House by the Numbers," in Houses of Ill-Repute: Brothels and the Archaeological Record, ed. B. Tsakirgis and A. Glazebrook. Revised.
- "Reconsidering the Early Coins of Ilion"
- "Classical Pottery from the Sanctuary at Ilion," M. Lawall and C.B. Rose, eds. The West Sanctuary, supplement to Studia Troica. revised.
Work in Progress
- The Imported Pottery at Gordion, in the Gordion Final Publications series, University of Pennsylvania Museum Press.
- "Eating and Drinking in Archaic and Classical Greece," for The Blackwell's Companion to Greek Art and Archaeology.
- Athenian Vases and their Contexts: Vase Painters, Images, and their Viewers
Presentations & Lectures
- (07/24/2006). Understanding Attic Pottery ASCSA Summer Session I, Athens, Greece.
- (04/03/2006). Sympotic Pottery from the Agora American College of Greece, Athens, Greece.
- (04/14/2006). Classical Pottery and its Users St. Andrew’s College, Study abroad program in Greece.
- (02/03/2005). Sex Sells, but Who’s Buying? Erotic Imagery on Attic Vases Archaeological Institute of America, University of Kentucky.
- (10/26/2005). Sex Sells, but Who’s Buying? Erotic Imagery on Attic Vases Archaeological Institute of America, University of Illinois.
- (10/23/2005). Sex Sells, but Who’s Buying? Erotic Imagery on Attic Vases Archaeological Institute of America, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- (02/16/2005). Sex Sells, but Who’s Buying? Erotic Imagery on Attic Vases Archaeological Institute of America, Cleveland Museum of Art.
- (02/26/2003). How to Make Greek Pots Speak: A Case-study from the Athenian Agora Ohio University.
- (04/05/2001). Drinking in Classical Athens Bradley University, Peoria, IL.
- (02/11/2000). Athenians and their Cups, Athenians in their Cups Friday Archaeology Series, Department of Archaeology, Washington University in St. Louis.
- (04/27/1999). From Sherds to Social History University of Virginia.
- (10/22/1998). Entertaining at Home in Archaic Athens: from Stew Pots to Symposium-ware Department of Classical Philology, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- (10/12/1995). The Bayly Krater and Related Greek Ceramics Bayly Art Museum, University of Virginia.
- Lynch (10/27/2006). Archaeological Evidence for the Reconstruction of Athens after the Persian Sack of 479 B.C.. Ohio Classical Caucus, Cincinnati, OH.
- Lynch (01-2006). The Persian Destruction Deposits and the Development of Pottery Research at the Excavations of the Athenian Agora, for joint AIA/APA panel, 75th Anniversary of the Athenian Agora Excavations. Archaeological Institute of America, Joint AIA/APA Panel, 75th Anniversary of the Athenian Agora Excavations, Montreal, Canada.
- J. L. Davis, S. R. Stocker, K. LYNCH, E. Gorogianni, I. Pojani, V. Dimo (01-2006). "Excavations of a New Greek Temple at Apollonia, Albania (2004-2005)". Archaeological Institute of America, Montreal, Canada.
- Lynch (04-2005). "Shopping for Pottery in Late Archaic Athens". Classical Association of the Midwest and South, Madison, WI.
- Lynch (01-2005). "Sella Cacatoria: The Child’s Potty-Chair in Ancient Athens". Archaeological Institute of America, Boston, MA.
- (10/30/2004). "Revising Agora XII". Athenian Studies Workshop, University of Cincinnati.
- (05/14/2004). "A Standard View: Classical and Hellenistic Assemblages". Gordion in Minneapolis, University of Minnesota.
- (08-2003). "When is a Column not a Column?: the Iconography of Architecture on Attic Figured Vases". Associazione Internazionale di Archeologia Classica, Cambridge, MA.
- (01-2003). "Evidence for the Continued Function of the Sanctuary at Ilion in the Classical Period". Archaeological Institute of America, New Orleans, LA.
- (04/19/2001). "More Thoughts on the Space of the Symposium”. Building Communities: House, Settlement and Society in the Aegean and Beyond, Cardiff University, Wales.
- (01-2001). "Pottery as Social Marker: Evidence for Increased Participation in Communal Drinking at the end of the Archaic Period from the Athenian Agora". Archaeological Institute of America, San Diego, CA.
- (03-2000). "A New Interpretation of the Red-Figure Pottery in the Stoa Gutter Well of the Agora Excavations". Classical Association of the Mid-West and South conference, Knoxville, TN.
- (02-2000). "Attic Vase-Painting and the Athenian Consumer’s Perception of Value". College Art Association, New York, NY.
- (12-1998). "Black-figure, Red-figure and Communal Drinking in a Late Archaic Athenian Home". Archaeological Institute of America, Washington, D.C..
- (03/27/1994). "A Methodology for Recognizing the Peripatetic Career of the Roman Lampmaker Faustus: Macroscopic Fabric Analysis, Palaeography, and NAA". Culture and Ethnicity in the Hellenistic East: Issues, Problems, and Approaches, University of Michigan.
- Lynch (01-2011). "The Missing Kylix?: Drinking Cups and Innovation in the Archaic and Classical Period". Archaeological Institute of America, Gold Medal Panel, San Antonio, TX.
- Lynch (01-2009). "A Late Archaic Athenian House by the Numbers". Archaeological Institute of America, Colloquium: Houses of Ill-Repute: Brothels and the Archaeological Record, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lynch (06/20/2008). "Depositional Patterns in the Athenian Agora: When Disaster Strikes". Greek Pottery in the Archaeological Record, Danish Institute of Archaeology, Athens, Greece.
- Lynch (04/18/2008). "The Cup of Socrates: Sympotic Sets over Time". Classical Association of the Mid-West and South, Tucson, AZ.
- Lynch (03/28/2007). "Erotic Images on Attic Pottery: Markets and Meanings". Athenian Painters and Potters II, Athens, Greece.
- (02/22/1998). "Cups in the Cupboard of a Late Archaic Athenian House". Symposium on Mediterranean Archaeology, University of Endiburgh.
- (11/01/2007). Votive Material from the Bonjakët Excavations: Pottery. University of Cincinnati Excavations at a New Greek Temple in Albania, University of Cincinnati, Department of Classics..
- (10/21/2005). Bonjakët Excavations: Pottery Highlights 2004-2005. New Archaeological Exploration in Albania, University of Cincinnati, Department of Classics..
- (11/04/2004). The Power of Images: Alexander the Great and his Visual Legacy. Alexander the Great Mini-Symposium, University of Cincinnati, Department of Classics..
- (11/27/2003). The Athenian Agora: New Excavations and New Theories. University of Helsinki, Finland..
- (02/22/1998). Cups in the Cupboard of a Late Archaic Athenian House. Symposium on Mediterranean Archaeology, University of Edinburgh..
- (04/22/1995). A Peripatetic Roman Lamp Maker as Cultural Ambassador. Fourth Annual Graduate Symposium, University of Virginia..
- (10/25/2005). At Home in Archaic Athens. Rockford Society, Rockford Illinois.
- (02/02/2005). At Home in Archaic Athens. Noble Lecture, University of Memphis.
- (11/07/2004). At Home in Archaic Athens. The Annual Greek Lecture, University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX.
- (11/11/2003). Wine and Truth: The Symposium in Archaic Athens. Archaeological Institute of America, Caskey Lecture, Dickinson College.
- (11/08/2003). At Home in Archaic Athens. Solow Lecture, Yale University.
- (11/07/2003). At Home in Archaic Athens. Archaeological Institute of America, Noble Lecture, Mt. Holyoke College.
- (05/22/2002). The Art and Archaeology of Drinking. Archaeological Institute of America Lecture, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- (02/05/2001). Democracy and the Symposium in Ancient Athens. Monday Noon Lecture Series, University of Missouri, St. Louis.
- (10/21/1999). Eat, Drink and be Merry!: Entertaining at Home in Athens. Archaeological Institute of America Lecture, University of Alberta, Canada.
- (03/28/1996). Faustus: A Case Study in Methodology. Guest Lecture, Classical Archaeology, University of Virginia.
Experience & Service
- 2008 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2002 to 2008, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2001 to 2002, Temporary Assistant Professor, Truman State University, Kirksville, MO.
- 2000 to 2001, Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Missouri-St. Louis, St. Louis, MO.
- 2000Visiting Lecturer, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO.