Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Faculty & Staff By Last Name
Jeffrey Layne Blevins
Title: Head, Department of Journalism &
Office: 22 B McMicken Hall
Dr. Blevins is an Associate Professor and Head of the Journalism Department. Tenured in the Department of English & Comparative Literature, he also holds courtesy appointments in the Department of Communication, and Department of Political Science. His Scholarship is grounded in U.S. telecommunication law and policy and engages critical political economy theory. Dr. Blevins' published research has examined media ownership regulation, First Amendment jurisprudence on media ownership regulation, Internet media policy and the politics of the telecommunication policymaking process. He has provided expertise on electronic media regulation and Federal Communications Commission policymaking to international, national, regional and local news media. In 2009 Dr. Blevins served as a federal grant reviewer for the Broadband Technology Opportunity Program administered by the National Telecommunication and Information Administration and the U.S. Department of Commerce. He is a frequent opinion-editorial columnist for major news outlets, including USA Today, The Cincinnati Enquirer, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and other venues.
- Ph.D., Ohio University, 2001 (Telecommunication).
- M.S., Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, 1998 (Mass Communication).
- B.S., Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, 1995 (Mass Communication).
- (Collaborator), Blevins, Jeffrey; Culley, Theresa; Johnson, Arlene; Lee, James; Wang, Xuemao; Wu, Tzu-Yu, A Catalyst Model for Transdisciplinary Teams in Digital Scholarship: The University of Cincinnati’s Digital Scholarship Center , Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. (1708-04721), $900,000.00. 01/01/2018 to 06/30/2020. Status: Awarded.
- Blevins, J. L. (2014). The Political Economy of Corporate Power and Free Speech in the United States. Media Watch, 5 (2), 209.
- Blevins, J. L. (2011). Applying the U.S. Safe Harbor Policy to Television Violence. Journal of Children and Media, 5 (1), 37.
- Blevins, J. L., & Brown, D. H. (2010). Concerns about the Disproportionate Use of Economic Research in the FCC’s Media Ownership Studies from 2002-2007. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 54 (4), 603.
- Blevins, J. L., & Martinez, K. (2010). A Political-Economic History of FCC Policy on Minority Broadcast Ownership. The Communication Review, 13 (3), 216.
- Newell, J. J., Blevins, J. L., & Bugeja, M. (2009). Tragedies of the Broadcast Commons: Consumer Perspectives on the Ethics of Product Placement and Video News Releases. Journal of Mass Media Ethics, 24 (4), 201.
- Blevins, J. L., & Barrow, S. C. (2009). The Political Economy of Free Speech and Network Neutrality: A Critical Analysis. Journal of Media Law & Ethics, 1 (1/2), 27.
- Brown, D. H., & Blevins, J. L. (2008). Can the FCC still ignore the public? Interviews with two commissioners who listened. Television & New Media, 9 (6), 447.
- Blevins, J. L., & Anton, F. (2008). Muted Voices in the Legislative Process: The Role of Scholarship in US Congressional Efforts to Protect Children from Online Pornography. New Media & Society, 10 (1), 115.
- Blevins, J. L. (2007). The Political Economy of U.S. Broadcast Ownership Regulation and Free Speech after the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Democratic Communique, 21 (2), 1.
- Blevins, J. L., & Brown, D. H. (2006). Political Issue or Policy Matter? The U.S. Federal Communications Commission’s Third Biennial Review of Broadcast Ownership Rules. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 30 (1), 21.
- Blevins, J. L. (2004). Battle of the On-Line Brands: Disney Loses Internet Portal War. Television & New Media, 5 (3), 247.
- Brown, D. H., & Blevins, J. L. (2002). The Safe Harbor Agreement Between the United States and Europe: A Missed Opportunity to Balance the Interests of E-Commerce and Privacy On-Line?. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 46 (4), 565.
- Blevins, J. L. (2002). Source Diversity After the Telecommunications Act of 1996: Media Oligarchs Begin to Colonize Cyberspace. Television & New Media, 3 (1), 95.
- Blevins, J.L. (2001). Counter-Hegemonic Media: Can Cyberspace Resist Corporate Colonization? . In Ebo, B. (Eds.), Cyberimperialism? Global Relations in the New Electronic Frontier (pp.139). Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Blevins, J.L. (2013). Using Opinion-Editorial Writing Exercises Across Media Platforms for Electronic Media Law & Policy Courses. Journal of Media Education, 4 (2), 26.
- Blevins, J.L. (2012). Teaching the principle and practice of diversity in electronic media law and policy courses. Journal of Media Education, 3 (4), 5.
- Blevins, J., & Shade, L. (2010). International Perspectives on Network Neutrality -- Exploring the Politics of Internet Traffic Management and Policy Implications for Canada and the U.S.. Global Media Journal--Canadian Edition, 3 (1/2), 1.
- Blevins, J.L. (2003). The Media Reform Movement in Communications Law and Policy Classes and Research. International Communication Assocation Newsletter, 31 (10).
- Blevins, J.L. (2002). Media Oligarchy: Implications for Entrepreneurship in Internet Media. Journalism and Mas Communication: The Making of Meaning United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Blevins, J.L. (2002). SWOT Analysis: Disney Considers Acquisition of Yahoo! A Case Study Assignment for a Media Management Course. Feedback, 43 (4), 48.
- Cooper, C., & Blevins, J. (2000). How Fairly Did ABC Apply TV Ratings Systems to Primetime Programing? A Content Analysis . Feedback, 41 (1), 16.
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). CityBeat, Cincinnati, Net Neutrality Will Harm Consumers (pp.4)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). CityBeat, Cincinnati, Media Ownership Matters: FCC Plans Will Hurt News Diversity (pp.8)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Sinclair’s proposed purchase of Tribune Media is bad news for St. Louis: The broadcast group is known to be heavy-handed in its selection of news content (pp.A9)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). Des Moines Register, Sinclair’s proposed purchase of Tribune Media is bad news for Des Moines-A11)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). USA Today, Sinclair’s proposed purchase of Tribune Media is bad news for Des Moines (pp.[online])..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). The Cincinnati Enquirer, We need to get a grip on our screen time (pp.19A)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2017). CityBeat, Cincinnati, Courts Must Protect Media as Much as KKK (pp.7)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2016). CityBeat, Cincinnati, FCC’s Privacy Proposal Doesn’t Address ‘Big Data’ Problem (pp.online)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2016). The Cincinnati Herald, Social media disparity in JusticeForHarambe and DisneyGatorAttack (pp.B1-B3)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2016). Louisville Courier-Journal, Prevention more important to stopping revenge porn (pp.A12)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2016). The Cincinnati Enquirer, Law alone can’t combat revenge porn (pp.8A)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2016). Detroit Free Press, Prevention more important to stopping revenge porn (pp.online)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2014). The Cincinnati Enquirer, Social media empowered in Ferguson (pp.A15)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2014). CityBeat, Cincinnati, FCC’s latest network neutrality proposal not fair to consumers (pp.8)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2014). The Cincinnati Herald, Supreme Court should protect rights of everyone to participate in election process, not just the wealthy (pp.B1)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2014). CityBeat, Cincinnati, The Death of Diversity in U.S. Broadcast Ownership (pp.8)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2013). The Cincinnati Enquirer, Court decision cautions us to care for the truth (pp.F6)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2011). Des Moines Register, Protecting your privacy online is easier than you think (pp.9A)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2011). The Ames Tribune, Online incivility and anonymity (pp.A6)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2011). Des Moines Business Record, Online world needs self-regulation.
- Blevins, J. L. (2011). The Ames Tribune, Protect children from TV violence (pp.A10)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2010). Des Moines Register, Protect Internet from corporate censorship (pp.11A)..
- Blevins, J. L. (2009). Des Moines Register, Just whose interest is being served by digital conversion? (pp.11A)..
Honors & Awards
- First Place, History Division Open Paper Competition., Broadcast Education Association, 2013.
- Third Place, Best Ideas in Teaching Communication Law & Policy Competition, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2011.
- Champion of the First Amendment, Society of Professional Journalists, 2010.
- Third Place, Management and Sales Division Case Study Competition, Broadcast Education Association, 2002.
- Favorite Broadast & Cinematic Arts Professor, Central Michigan University, 2002.
- First Place, Communication Technology Division Debut Paper Competition, Broadcast Education Association, 1999.
Experience & Service
- Media Law & Ethics
Media Law & Ethics