Travis D Speice
Title: Assistant Professor: The Christ College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Travis Speice recently (2016) earned his Ph.D. from the department of Sociology. His dissertation, titled "Manning Up and Queening Out: Gay Men&39;s Negotiations of of Gender and Sexuality," examines the strategies of identity management for gay men. With this research, he develops a concept called hegemonic sexuality that organizes individuals&39; performances of sexuality. Speice&39;s research interests include gender, family, sexuality, HIV/AIDS studies, and qualitative studies.Speice received B.S. degrees in Sociology and Psychology from State University of New York College at Brockport in 2005. Entering the M.A. program at University of Cincinnati in 2006, he completed his thesis titled “Relationship between mode of HIV transmission, social support, and coping strategies” in 2009.
- Ph.D., University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH (Doctoral Candidate in Sociology).
- Master of Arts, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2009 (Sociology).
- Bachelor of Science, State University of New York College at Brockport, Brockport, NY, 2005 (Major: Sociology, Major: Psychology, Minor: Anthropology).
- Casanova, Erynn, Emily Wetzel, Travis D. Speice (2016). Looking at the label: White-collar men and the meanings of ‘metrosexual' (forthcoming) . Sexualities, 19 (1/2), 64.
- Speice, Travis D. (2014). Men's Health. Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Health, Illness, and Social Behavior
- Speice, Travis D. (2012). (Rev. of Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Decides: Abortion, Neonatal Care, Assisted Dying and Capital Punishment by Sheldon Ekland-Olson). Sociological Insight. (pp.118-119)..
- Speice, Travis D. (2016). (Rev. of Not Gay: Sex Between Straight White Men by Jane Ward). Men & Masculinities..
Presentations & Lectures
- Speice, Travis D. (05/16/2012). The Presentation of (Gendered and Sexual) Selves in Everyday Life. Taft Annual Symposium, Cincinnati, OH.
- Speice, Travis D. (03/31/2011). Masculinities Among (Gay) Men. North Central Sociological Association Annual Conference, Cleveland, OH.
- Speice, Travis D. (03/31/2010). Relationship Between Mode of HIV Transmission, Social Support, and Coping Strategies. Midwest Sociological Society/ North Central Sociological Association Joint Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Speice, Travis D. (03/28/2008). Studying Hopefulness: A Project for Introduction to Sociology Courses. North Central Sociological Association Annual Conference, Cincinnati, OH.
- Speice, Travis D. (02/29/2008). Coping with HIV: How Mode of Transmission Determines Individual and Family Coping Strategies . Sociology Department Colloquium Series, Cincinnati, OH.
- Speice, Travis D. (04-2005). HIV, Internet Chat Rooms, and Men Who Have Sex with Men. Scholars Day, State University of New York College at Brockport, Brockport, NY.
- Speice, Travis D. (02/01/2013). Gender and Sexuality Identity Management Among Gay Men. 12th Annual Race, Class, Gender, Sexuality Symposium, Miami University, Oxford, OH.
- Speice, Travis D. (04/25/2013). Diva Dudes: Gay Men Managing Gendered and Sexual Identities. Southern Sociological Society Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Speice, Travis D. (04/12/2014). "We're Here! We're Queer! And it's not that big of a deal: Investigating gay men's strategic outness at work/". North Central Sociological Association Annual Conference, Cincinnati, OH..
- Speice, Travis D. (2015). "Shades of gay: The problem with defining gender and sexuality". Charles Phelps Taft Research Center humanitiesNOW Graduate Conference, Cincinnati.
- (10/07/2011). Masculinity and the Media. Guest Lecture in Changing Roles of Men and Women (SOC 276)., Cincinnati, OH.
- (01/24/2011). Masculinity in College. Guest Lecture in Men & Masculinities Course (SOC 380). , Cincinnati, OH.
- (04/03/2013). Gay Masculinity Identity Construction/Management. Guest Lecture in Men & Masculinities Course (SOC 380). , Cincinnati, OH.
Honors & Awards
- Sociology Department Nomination for Graduate School Excellence in Teaching Award , 2011.
- Charles Phelps Taft Research Center Dissertation Fellowship, 2011.
- Norris Johnson Teaching Fellowship, 2009 to 2011.
- Mary Margaret Spica Faculty Education Scholarship Award, 2015.
Experience & Service
- 2012 to 2013, Adjunct Instructor, The Christ College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to Present, Assistant Professor, The Christ College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Cincinnati, OH.
- Other. Taste of Soul (02-2016, TCCNHS.
- Transgender Day of Visibility (03/28/2016 to 04/01/2016) , TCCNHS.
- Other. World AIDS Day (12/01/2015, TCCNHS.
- Committee Member, Learning Assessment Committee, 2013 to 2016
- Committee Member, Curriculum Committee, 2013 to 2016
- Committee Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2014 to 2016
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- American Sociological Association, . Sections: Sex & Gender; Sexualities; Body and Embodiment
- North Central Sociological Association,
- Southern Sociological Society,
- Sociologists' AIDS Network,
- 15-SOC-141 INTRO TO SOCIOLOGY
- 15-SOC-143 CONTEMP SOC ISSUES
- 28-SOC-142 INTRO SOCIOLOGY II
- 28-SOC-285 SOC OF FAMILY
- SPECIAL TOPICS IN SOCIOLOGY
SPECIAL TOPICS IN SOCIOLOGY
Comments: Men & Masculinities
- Introduction to Social Psychology
Introduction to Social Psychology
- Social and Cultural Social Issues in Contemporary Regional Health Care
Social and Cultural Social Issues in Contemporary Regional Health Care
- Seminar on Race
Seminar on Race
- First Year Experience
First Year Experience