Kelli R. Chapman
Kelli Chapman is a Ph.D. candidate in Sociology. Her dissertation, "Dating In and Out of the Closet: Negotiating Intimate Relationships as an LGBTQ Teenager" is a study of how lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer teenagers navigate dating and forming romantic relationships. Her research and teaching interests include sexualities, sex and gender, children and youth, the scholarship of teaching and learning, and qualitative methods.
- Ph.D. in progress, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Oh, 2017 (Sociology).
- M.A., University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2009 (Sociology).
- B.A., Ohio University, Athens, OH, 2007 (Sociology).
- Malat, Jennifer and Kelli Chapman (2016). (In Press). "The Effect of Age and Childhood Social Class on Preference for New Healthcare Practices.". Sociological Focus, 50 (2), 183-197.
- Chapman, Kelli (2014). Day Labor. Undocumented Immigrants in the United States Today: An Encyclopedia of Their Experiences
Presentations & Lectures
- Chapman, Kelli (2010). "Mannheim in the Digital Age" . Midwest Sociological Society/ North Central Sociological Association, Chicago, Il.
- Chapman, Kelli (2013). "Family Dynamics, Dating, and Disclosure: Negotiating Intimate Relationships as an LGBT Teen". National Women's Studies Association, Cincinnati, OH.
- Chapman, Kelli (2013). "Dating Queer: How Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Teens Negotiate Relationships". North Central Sociological Association, Indianapolis, IN.
- Chapman, Kelli (2014). "Queering Prom: The Experiences of LGBT High School Students". Society for the Study of Social Problems, San Francisco, CA.
- Chapman, Kelli (2014). "Queer Commitments: LGBT Dating in High School.". North Central Sociological Association., Cincinnati, OH.
- Chapman, Kelli (2014). "Dating In and Out of the Closet: Negotiating Relationships as an LGBT Teen.". Charles Phelps Taft Research Center Symposium, Cincinnati, OH.
- Chapman, Kelli (2017). "Passing as Friends: LGBTQ Youth and the Dyadic Presentation of Romantic Relationships". American Sociological Association, Montreal, Canada.
Honors & Awards
- Taft Graduate Enrichment Award, Charles Phelps Taft Research Center, 2013.
- Taft Dissertation Fellowship, Charles Phelps Taft Research Center, 2013 to 2014.
- SAGE Teaching Innovations & Professional Development Award, American Sociological Association Section on Teaching and Learning, 2017.
- Kunz Center Graduate Student Research Award, Kunz Center for Social Research, 2014.
- Nominee, John F. Schnabel Distinguished Contributions to Teaching Award, North Central Sociological Association, 2016.
- "An Individual Who Has Made a Large Impact on Students' First Year Experience", Center for First Year Experience and Learning Communitites, University of Cincinnati, 2016.
Experience & Service
- 2015 to 2016, Visiting Assistant Professor, Ohio University , Athens, OH.
- 2010 to 2015, Graduate Student Instructor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- Representative, University of Cincinnati Department of Sociology Facutly Search Committee, 2010 to 2011
- Representative, University of Cincinnati Department of Sociology Headship Search Committee, 04-2010 to 06-2010
- President, Sociology Graduate Student Lyceum 2008 to 2009
- Reviewer, Sociological Focus 2014 to 2014
- Member, Office of Research, University of Cincinnati University Research Council Fellowship Review ,
- Changing Roles of Men and Women
- Contemporary Social Problems
- Deviant Behavior
- Introduction to Sociology
- Men and Masculinities
- Sociology of Sexuality
- Youth and Society