About the Department
The Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies is the academic home for the study of women and gender at the University of Cincinnati. Through interdisciplinary teaching, research and community outreach, it seeks to create a more inclusive and transformative understanding of women and men. The department explores the intersections of race, nationality, class, gender and sexuality. Informed by feminist perspectives, it nurtures the development of leaders, scholars and activists and builds scholarly community among core and affiliate faculty across the university. The department serves as a catalyst for curricular, institutional, societal and global change.
Founded in 1974, the Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, one of the oldest and most established programs in the country, offers the following programs of study:
- Master of Arts (MA) in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, one of the first in the country
- MA/JD joint degree program in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and College of Law, the first in the country and still one of very few
- MA/PhD double degree programs with English, Philosophy, Political Science (in progress) and Sociology (in progress)
- MA/MSW double degree program with Social Work
- Graduate Certificate of Concentration in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Undergraduate Major (BA) in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Undergraduate Minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Our graduate programs are regarded as cutting edge and highly supportive of student achievement, serving about 25 students enrolled annually in the MA, MA/JD, MA/MSW, MA/PhD or certificate program. Our MA, MA/JD and MA/PhD programs are also considered selective and rigorous, accepting a total of about 10 to 14 students per year. Our placement record for MA students going on to doctoral programs or professional work is very strong."
Our undergraduate major and minor serves between 60 and 80 students per year. Our high quality and popular undergraduate courses are taught by core and affiliate faculty across the university.
We have a growing core faculty of full and joint appointments in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and almost 100 affiliate faculty members from departments and colleges across the university, making ours among the largest Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies affiliate faculty in the country. Among our core and affiliate faculty are many renowned Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies scholars.
The Friends of Women's Studies
The department and its students and core and affiliate faculty enjoy the support of one of the oldest and largest community support groups in the country, the Friends of Women's Studies. Founded in 1980, Friends offers mentoring, networking and special programming for students, alumnae, faculty and the community. The group has continuously raised funds to provide scholarships and fellowships, student and faculty travel and research grants, visiting lecturers, and now, the Endowed Chair.
Our Record of Distinction
In addition to being a long-standing, highly respected, and well-endowed program that offered among the first MA's in Women's Studies and the first MA/JD and enjoys the support of Friends, the department is also known for the following:
- Organized one of the first and most influential conferences on Women's Studies-"Pioneers for Century III" (1976)
- Held the first National Endowment for the Humanities summer institute for college and university faculty directed by a Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program (1991)
- Won major grants from the Fund for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education (FIPSE), the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Ohio Arts Council, and other organizations
- Spearheaded the development of the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) project at UC, which fosters the recruitment, retention, and professional development of women scientists
- Is affiliated with the National Council for Research on Women, the National Women's Studies Association, the Ohio Coalition of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Programs and Women's Departments, and the UC Women's Initiatives Network
- Considered one of the top 35 programs (out of more than 600) by the Ford Foundation (1994)
- Received a five-year FIPSE North American Mobility Program grant (2006-2011) to support students and faculty with partner exchange programs in Canada and Mexico
For more on the Department's "herstory" and current and future activities, see Friends/Department History, Research, and Genderline, its semiannual newsletter through which we also keep in touch with our alumni.
To learn how to connect with and be a part of Women's Studies at the University of Cincinnati, contact email@example.com