< Back to list
Title: Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Office: 716D Old Chemistry Building
Thérèse Migraine-George is the author of African Women and Representation: From Performance to Politics (Africa World Press, 2008), From Francophonie to World Literature in French: Ethics, Poetics, and Politics (University of Nebraska Press, 2013), a book of essays: Mes Etats-Unis: Portraits d'une Amérique que vous ne connaissez pas (Edilivre, 2009), and two novels: Amour de travers (Edilivre, 2010) and Envol (Edilivre, 2014). She has also published various articles and book chapters on Francophone writers, African literatures, cultures, and films, and queer studies.
- Maîtrise de Lettres Modernes, Université Lyon 3, France, 1993.
- MA in French, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK, 1993.
- MA in English, University of Missouri at St Louis, 1994.
- DEA de Langue, Littérature et Civilisation Française, Université Lyon 3, France, 1995.
- PhD in Comparative Literature, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2000.
My areas of interest are African and Francophone literature, French and Francophone women writers, queer studies, and creative writing.
- African Aesthetics and Politics, Taft Research Fellowship. 06-2001 to 08-2001.
- African Women and Representation, Taft Research Fellowship. 06-2005 to 08-2005.
- New Aesthetics of Francophone Women Writers, Taft Faculty Release Fellowship. 01-2010 to 03-2010.
- (Post)Francophone Writers and the Creation of a
New World Literature in French
, Taft Center Fellowship. 2010 to 2011.
- The Aesthetics and Politics of Difference in France, Taft Research Fellowship. 01-2017 to 04-2017.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- 1996. "Aux Antipodes de l'Exotisme, ou l'Envers de la Carte Postale dans l'Œuvre de Madeleine Ouellette-Michalska." Women in French Studies: 4-13.
- 1999. "Specular Desires: Orpheus and Pygmalion as Aesthetic Paradigms in Petrarch's Rime Sparse" (A. Owen Aldridge Prize). Comparative Literature Studies 36 (3): 226-246.
- 2003. "Ama Ata Aidoo's Orphan Ghosts: African Literature and Aesthetic Postmodernity." Research in African Literatures 34 (4): 83-9.
- 2003. "Beyond the'Internalist' vs. 'Externalist' Debate: African Homosexuals' Local-Global Identities in Two Films, Woubi Chéri and Dakan." Journal of African Cultural Studies 16 (1): 45-56.
- 2007. "Swiss Trash: L'Autre Suisse de Dunia Miralles." International Journal of Francophone Studies (10th Anniversary Volume) 10 (1-2): 173-191.
- 2007. "'L'Autre' dans Champs de bataille et d'amour de Véronique Tadjo." Women in French Studies 15: 67-83.
- 2009. "La Femme de Gilles de Madeleine Bourdouxhe ou la 'fugurante identité' d'un roman belge de langue française." Special issue of International Journal of Francophone Studies 12 (2-3): 321-339.
- 2011. "De Traversée de la mangrove à Histoire de la femme cannibale: l'Art comme 'Arme Miraculeuse' chez Maryse Condé." Romanic Review 101 (3): 497-519.
- 2014. "From Masisi to Activists: Same-Sex Relations and the Haitian Polity." Journal of Haitian Studies 20 (1): 8-33.
- 2016. Ashley Currier and Thérèse Migraine-George. "Queer Studies / African Studies: An (Im)possible Transaction?" GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies 22 (2). Special Issue: "Area Impossible: The Geopolitics of Queer Studies": 281-305.
- 2016. Thérèse Migraine-George and Ashley Currier, “Querying/Queering African Archives: Methods and Movements.” WSQ Special Issue: “Queer Methods” 44 (3-4): 190-207.
- 2016. Ashley Currier and Thérèse Migraine-George. "Introduction: 'Lesbian'/Female Same-Sexualities in Africa." Journal of Lesbian Studies 21: 133-150.
- 2008. African Women and Representation: From Performance to Politics. Trenton, New Jersey: Africa World Press & The Red Sea Press.[Link]
- 2009. Mes Etats-Unis: Portraits d’une Amérique que vous ne connaissez pas. (Essay). Paris: Editions Edilivre.[Link]
- 2010. Amour de travers. (Novel). Paris: Editions Edilivre.[Link]
- 2013. From Francophonie to World Literature in French: Ethics, Poetics, and Politics. Lincoln and London: University of Nebraska Press.[Link]
- 2014. Envol. (Novel). Paris: Editions Edilivre.[Link]
- 2006. "From Exile to Dislocation: Anowa's Wandering Agency in Ama Ata Aidoo's Anowa." In African Literatures at the Millennium, edited by Arthur D. Drayton, Omofolabo Ajayi-Soyinka, and I. Peter Ukpokodu. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press. 95-103.
- Forthcoming: “Performances of Power, Mimicry, and Subversion in Tess Onwueme’s Work.” In Emerging Perspectives on Tess Onwueme, edited by Maureen N. Eke. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press
- 2018. Ashley Currier and Thérèse Migraine-George: "Queer/African Identities: Questions, Limits, Challenges." In Introduction to Women's Studies: a Reader, ed. L. Ayu Saraswati, Barbara Shaw, and Heather Rellihan. Oxford University Press. 77-81.
- Forthcoming: "The Incommensurability of the 'Transnational' in Qeer African Studies. Critical Forum with College Literature, ed. Taiwo Adetunji Osinubi
- 2016. co-edited with Ashley Currier, special issue of the Journal of Lesbian Studies 21: "'Lesbian'/Female Same-Sex Sexualities in Africa."
- Forthcoming: “Woubi Chéri.” entry for LGBTQI: Encyclopedia of Transnational Gender and Sexualities.
Presentations & Lectures
- (2005). African Theaters and the Postcolonial State: The Example of Werewere Liking's Village et Fondation Ki-Yi. African Literature Association, Boulder, Colorado.
- (2006). Art as 'Miraculous Weapon' in Maryse Condé's Works. Romance Studies Colloquium, Eugene, Oregon.
- (2007). Social Suicide or 'Romanesque' Passion? Madeleine Bourdouxhe's La Femme de Gilles. M/MLA (Midwestern Modern Language Association), Cleveland, Ohio.
- (2008). The Year of Anthologies: The Blackwell Anthology of African Literary Criticism and Theory. African Literature Association, Macomb, Illinois.
- (2009). 'L'enfant est mort': mythe, mémoire et sacrifice dans Reine Pokou de Véronique Tadjo. Conseil International d'Etudes Francophones, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- (2011). Ecriture de l'impertinence dans Le Roi de Kahel de Tierno Monénembo. M/MLA, Saint-Louis.
- (2012). Ecriture du désir et désir d'écriture dans l'oeuvre de Nina Bouraoui. Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, Lexington, KY.
- (2012). From Poetics to Politics: Writing as Civic Debt in Lyonel Trouillot's "L'Amour avant que j'oublie" . M/MLA, Cincinnati.
- (2013). "Nou se masisi, e nou fyè!": Homosexuals as Masisis and Activists in Haiti. "Haiti in a Globalized Frame" International Conference, Tallahassee, Florida.
- (2013). Same-Sex Marriage and the Politics of Difference in France. NWSA (National Women's Studies Association) Conference, Cincinnati.
- (2013). Roundtable: Methods, Means, and Mores: "Doing" Global and Transnational Women and Gender Research. NWSA (National Women's Studies Association) Conference, Cincinnati.
- (2013). Roundtable: Postcolonial Studies Across Disciplines and Languages. Cincinnati Conference on Romance Languages and Literatures, Cincinnati.
- (2014). "That Obscure Object of Desire: Homosexuality and Islam". ASA (African Studies Association) Conference, Indianapolis.
- (2015). Roundtable "The Politics of Homophobia" with Ashley Currier, Amy Lind, Momin Rahman and Rahul Rao, Taft Research Center, University of Cincinnati.
- (2015). "(Im)possible Representations: Queer Agency through African Visual Arts". African Studies Association, San Diego, CA.
- (2016). “(In)visible Desires: Queer Women in African Literature". IFJP (International Feminist Journal of Politics) Conference, University of Cincinnati.
- (2014). Roundtable "From World Literature to Cinema Without Borders: A Discussion about Boundaries in French and Francophone Studies". Cincinnati Conference on Romance Languages and Literatures, University of Cincinnati.
- (2016). Roundtable “World Cinema & Television in French” , University of Cincinnati.
- (2014). "How Can Someone be French? The Other White Man in 19th-century Africa" . Africana Studies Lecture Series, University of Cincinnati.
- (2017). “Queer Art, Archival Fever, and the Politics of Desire in Africa” . 2017 PAC/ACA (Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association) Conference, San Diego.
- (2017). “In the Middle, or Relocating the Queer Midwest” . 2017 IASSCS (International Association for the Study of Sexuality, Culture and Society) Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
Honors & Awards
- . 2015 LGBTQ Center Rainbow Award for Outstanding Faculty.
- . 2016 WGSS Outstanding Faculty Award.
- . 2016 Fellow of the Graduate School.
Experience & Service
- Committee Member, Policy and Curriculum Committee, 2003 to 2008
- Committee Member, University Research Council, College of Arts and Sciences, 2007 to 2008
- Committee Member, Dean's Advisory Committee, College of Arts and Sciences , 2007 to 2008
- Committee Member, Taft Board Executive Committee 2007 to 2008
- Committee Member, Taft Faculty Travel Grants Committee, 2007 to 2009
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, 2008 to 2009
- Committee Member, Fulbright Interview Committee 2006
- Committee Member, Taft Center Fellowship Committee, 2011 to 2014
- Committee Chair, RLL Research Committee , 2011 to 2013
- Committee Member, Advisory Board in the Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies , 2012 to 2014
- Committee Member, Diversity Task Force, College of Arts and Sciences, 2012 to 2013
- Committee Member, Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee, College of Arts and Sciences , 2012 to 2013
- Committee Member, Taft Student Award Committee, 2013 to 2014
- Graduate Director, Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Chair of the A&S Graduate Council Committee, 2015 to 2016
- Committee Member, Academic Program Review Committee 2016
- Committee Member, Collaboration with the Cincinnati Museum Committee,
- Committee Member, Storytelling Committee
- Committee Member, UC Office of Research Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences and Integrated Research Internal Grants Review Council,
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- 2008, UC Early Summer Instructional Technology Institute,
- AP reader in French for ETS and external reviewer for AP French module curriculum (2012),
- 2015-16 UC Women Lead Program,
- 2018, Editorial Board, Journal of Lesbian Studies,
- FR 112: Elementary Conversational French
- FR 115: Extended Basic French 5
- FR 181: World Cultures: French
- FR 252: Composition and Conversation
- FR 253: Composition and Conversation
- FR 300: Writing about French/Francophone Culture
- FR 301: Understanding French/Francophone Culture in Conversation
- FR 312: The Francophone World
- FR 313: French Culture in Cinema
- FR 314: France Today
- FR 341: Introduction to French Literature
- FR 383: Francophone Cultures: Africa and the Caribbean
- FR 384: Francophone Cultures: Quebec
- FR 425: Advanced French Conversation 1
- FR 426: Advanced French Conversation 2
- FR 491: Advanced Composition and Conversation
- FR 493/523: Stylistics
- FR 755: Introduction to Francophone Literature
- FR 786: African Feminisms
- FR 870: Francophone Feminisms
- FR 872: Africa Today
- FR 873: African Cultural Studies
- RLL 711: European Studies Seminar
- SWLC 801: Introduction to Literary Theory
- FR 4029/7019: Queer Francophone Lit/Culture
- WGSS 4019/7029: Gender, Sexuality, Culture
Media Interview: November 30, 2014: interview for the national Canadian TV channel CTV News about the election of the new Secretary General of Francophonie Michaëlle Jean.