What is the 4+1 Option?
The 4+1 option is available to UC undergraduate students majoring (BA/BS) in Psychology or non-majors taking a minimum of 18 hours in Psychology (equivalent to but not necessarily completing a Psychology minor).
The program allows students completing their Bachelor’s degree to obtain a Master’s degree in one additional year (15 hours per semester).
Since students doing the 4+1 option take two graduate courses before applying to the MAP program, they only have to take 12 credits per semester as a MAP student. For qualifying students, the graduate year of study is paid at a discounted tuition rate (typically a 25% discount). Completion of the 4+1 program assumes the following:
- The student completes two graduate-level (MAP) courses for graduate credit prior to completing their BA/BS. (Note: This means that 4+1 students may not graduate with their BA/BS with less than 126 hours, 6 of which are GR-level courses that apply to the MAP degree). Grades for the graduate level classes must average 3.0 (with no grade lower than a B-).
- These graduate courses taken during undergraduate years do not guarantee andmission into the MAP program. GRE scores, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and GPA are also taken into account.
- Students must apply for the MAP program during the last year of their undergraduate studies. Students do not need to apply for the MAP program in order to take the two graduate classes during their undergraduate year.
- The student enrolls in the MAP program full-time and thus completes the graduate year in two semesters.
What is the Difference Between the 4+1 Option and the MAP Program?
The two are the same, both have the same courses and require the same work. The only difference is that the 4+1 option allows students to get a head start on MAP classes by taking graduate courses during their undergraduate years. Admitted students into the MAP program who have completed the 4+1 also recieve a 25% discount if the MAP program is completed in one year.
If I am Interested in the 4+1 Program, What Do I Do?
- Set up an appointment ASAP with Domenic DiFrancesco (firstname.lastname@example.org), the graduate assistant for OLHR. We will collect your contact information so that we may communicate program updates and information to you (e.g., when the application portal is open). We can also review the program and admissions process and when to schedule your graduation. Most importantly, we can advise you on what graduate classes are available.
- Open office hours for the 2017 Fall semester are Mondays from 12:30-5pm and Wednesdays from 2-5pm in Edwards room 5145.
- All students interested in the MAP and 4+1 program will fill out a Pre-application when meeting with Domenic.
- If, after meeting with Domenic, you would like to apply, follow the application steps outlined above before January 15th 2018. You should apply for the MA in Psychology degree. There will be a question on the application asking whether you are applying for the 4+1 program. Select “yes.”
Ready to Apply?
After having met with Domenic, are you ready to apply? Visit the admissions page here to apply to the master's program. If you are interested in completing the 4+1 option, we ask that you complete a pre-application form at your meeting with Domenic.