Faculty & Staff
Cathleen Christine Stough
Title: Asst Professor
Office: 4150P EDWARDS 1 Edwards Center
Cathy Stough is a pediatric psychologist with clinical and research interest in child eating behaviors, nutrition, and obesity. Her past research has examined eating behaviors among children with autism spectrum disorder and evaluation of outcomes of family-based weight management programs for children and adolescents. She is particularly interested in weight management and eating behaviors of young children, including preschoolers, toddlers, and infants. Her current research projects are focused on whether child appetite characteristics (e.g., satiety responsiveness, food responsiveness) and parental feeding behaviors (e.g., using food to calm the child) or beliefs (e.g., fear of the child being underweight) predict high weight-for-length percentiles during infancy (a risk factor for future obesity). Additionally, Dr. Stough is investigating whether infants with high weight-for-length display delays in obtainment of developmental milestones (e.g., delayed motor skills).
- PhD, University of Kansas (Clinical Child Psychology).
- MA, University of Dayton (Clinical Psychology).
- BA, University of Cincinnati (Psychology).
- Pona, A. A., Dreyer Gillette, M. L., Odar Stough, C., Gerling, J. K., & Sweeney, B. R. (In Press). Long-term outcomes of a multidisciplinary weight management intervention for youth with special needs. Childhood Obesity.
- Odar Stough, C., Poppert Cordts, K., Dreyer Gillette, M. L., Borner, K., Dean, K., Hampl, S., Peugh, J., & Davis, A. M. (In Press). Caregiver hope and child outcomes following pediatric weight management programs. Children's Health Care.
- Nabors, Odar Stough, C., Peugh, J., Merianos, A. L., Cunningham, J., & Yockey, R. A. (In Press). Adolescents’ flourishing in relation to having asthma: Results from a population-based cross-sectional study. Journal of Asthma.
- Merianos, A., Odar Stough, C., Nabors, L., & Mahabee-Gittens, M. (In Press). Tobacco smoke exposure and health care utilization among children in the United States. American Journal of Health Promotion.
- Tripicchio, G. L., Borner, K. B., Odar Stough, C., Poppert, K., Dreyer Gillette, M., & Davis, A. M. (2017). Confirmatory factor analysis of an obesity-specific health-related quality of life measure in Hispanic youth. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 42, 457.
- Stark, L. J., Filigno, S., Ratcliff, M., Bolling, C., Kichler, Robson, S., Simon, S., McCullough, M. B., Clifford, L., Odar Stough, C., Zion, C., & Ittenbach, R. (2017). Learning about Activity and Understanding Nutrition for Child Health (LAUNCH): Rationale, design, and implementation of a randomized clinical trial of a family-based pediatric weight management program for preschoolers. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 52, 10.
- Nabors, L. A., Odar Stough, C., Merianos, A., & Peugh, J. (2016). Predictors of flourishing among children with hearing loss. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 91, 170.
- Robson, S. M., Bolling, C., McCullough, M. B., Odar Stough, C., & Stark, L. J. (2016). A preschool obesity treatment clinical trial: Reasons primary care providers declined referrals. The Journal of Pediatrics, 177, 262.
- McCullough, M. B., Janicke, D., Odar Stough, C., Robson, S., Bolling, C., Zion, C., & Stark, L. (2016). Barriers to recruitment in pediatric obesity trials: Comparing opt-in and opt-out recruitment approaches. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 41.
- Odar Stough, C., Merianos, A., Nabors, L., & Peugh, J. (2016). Prevalence and predictors of bullying behavior among overweight and obese youth in a nationally representative sample. Childhood Obesity, 12, 263.
- Robson, S. M., Odar Stough, C., & Stark, L. J. (2016). The impact of a pilot cooking intervention for parent-child dyads on the consumption of foods prepared away from home. Appetite, 99, 177.
- Towner, E. K., Clifford, L. M., McCullough, M. B., Odar Stough, C., & Stark, L. J. (2016). Treating obesity in preschoolers: A review and recommendations for addressing critical gaps. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 63, 481.
- Davis, A. M., Odar Stough, C., Black, W. R., Dean, K., Sampilo, M., Simpson, S., & Landrum, Y. (2016). Outcomes of a weight management program conjointly addressing parent and child health. Children's Health Care, 45, 227.
- Hampl, S., Odar Stough, C, Poppert Cordts, K., Best, C., Blackburn, K., & Dreyer Gillette, M. (2016). Effectiveness of a hospital-based multidisciplinary pediatric weight management program: Two year outcomes of PHIT Kids. Childhood Obesity, 12, 20.
- Odar Stough, C., Nabors, L., Merianos, A., & Zhang, J. (2015). Short communication: Flourishing among adolescents with epilepsy: Correlates and comparison to peers. Epilepsy Research, 117, 7.
- Odar Stough, C., Dreyer Gillette, M., Roberts, M. C., Jorgensen, T., & Patton, S. R. (2015). Mealtime behaviors associated with consumption of unfamiliar foods by young children with autism spectrum disorder. Appetite, 95, 324.
- Dreyer Gillette, M. L., Borner, K. B., Nadler, C. B., Poppert, K. M., Odar Stough, C., Swinburne Romine, R., & Davis A. M. (2015). Prevalence and health correlates of overweight and obesity in children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 489.
- Canter, K., Wu, Y. P., Odar Stough, C., Parikshak, S., Roberts, M. C., & Amylon, M. D. (2015). The relationship between attitudes toward illness and quality of life for children with cancer and healthy siblings. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 24, 2693.
- Evans, S. C., Roberts, M. C., Keeley, J. W., Blossom, J. B., Amaro, C. M., Garcia, A. M., Odar Stough, C., Canter, K. S., Robles, R., & Reed, G. M. (2015). Vignette methodologies for studying clinicians’ decision-making: Validity, utility, and application in ICD-11 field studies. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 15, 160.
- Mayes, S., Roberts, M. C., & Odar Stough, C. (2014). Risk for household safety hazards: Socioeconomic and sociodemographic factors. Journal of Safety Research, 51, 87.
- Davis, A. M., Wambach, K. A., Nelson, E. L., Odar, C., Lillis, T., McKinley, A., & Gallagher, M. (2014). Health behavior change in pregnant women: A two-phase study. Telemedicine and E-Health, 20, 1165.
- Patton, S. R., Odar, C., Midyett, K., & Clements, M. A. (2014). Pilot study results for a novel behavior plus nutrition intervention for caregivers of young children with type 1 diabetes. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 46, 429.
- Dreyer Gillette, M., Odar Stough, C., Beck, A. R., Maliszewski, G., Best, C., Gerling, J. K., & Summar, S. (2014). Outcomes of a weight management clinic for children with special needs. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 35, 266.
- Davis, A. M., Canter, K., Odar, C., Dreyer Gillette, M., & Patton, S. (2014). Measurement of mealtime behaviors in rural overweight children: An exploratory factor analysis of the Behavioral Pediatrics Feeding Assessment Scale. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 39, 332.
- Pelley, T., Brown Kirschman, K., J., Odar, C., Butz, C., Rye, M., Fabia, R. B., & Besner, G. E. (2013). The development and preliminary validation of the Psychosocial Adjustment to Burn Questionnaire. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 1, 171.
- Egan, A., Dreyer, M., Odar, C., Beckwith, M., & Garrison, C. (2013). Obesity in young children with autism spectrum disorders: Prevalence and associated factors. Childhood Obesity, 9, 1.
- Odar, C., Canter, K., & Roberts, M. C. (2013). Relationship between camp attendance and self-perceptions in children with chronic health conditions: A meta-analysis. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 38, 398.
- Odar, C., Brown Kirschman, K., Pelley, T., Butz, C., Besner, G. E., & Fabia, R. B. (2013). Prevalence and correlates of posttraumatic stress in parents of young children postburn. Journal of Burn Care and Research, 34, 299.
- Odar, C., Canter, K., & Roberts, M. C. (2012). Future directions for advancing issues in children’s mental health: A delphic poll. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 22, 903.
- Aylward, B. S., Odar, C. C., Kessler, E. D., Canter, K. S., & Roberts, M. C. (2012). Six degrees of separation: An exploratory network analysis of mentoring relationships in pediatric psychology. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 37, 972.
- Roberts, M. C., Canter, K., & Odar, C. (2012). A call to action to secure the future of pediatric psychology: Resonating to Rozensky and Janicke (2012). Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 37, 369.
- Canter, K. S., Kessler, E. D., Odar, C. C., Aylward, B. S., & Roberts, M. C. (2012). Perceived benefits of mentoring in pediatric psychology: A qualitative approach. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 37, 158.
Experience & Service