Faculty & Staff
Quintino Rodrigues Mano
Dr. Mano is a clinical neuropsychologist with research and clinical interests in learning disorders (e.g., dyslexia). Ongoing projects involve (1) learning mechanisms underlying sensitivity to subword combinatorial orthographic regularity, (2) application of Cattell’s Investment Theory to reading development across the lifespan, (3) the role of executive functioning in orthographic processing among preschoolers, and (4) emotional contributions to reading across the lifespan. Research participants range from preschoolers to university students. He relies primarily on methodologies from clinical and experimental neuropsychology (e.g., standardized tests, computerized tasks). Dr. Mano also conducts clinical research within the Dyslexia Assessment & Diagnostic Services, of which Dr. Mano is the Director. The ultimate purpose of his research program is to develop novel neuropsychological tests and treatments for learning disorders.
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2010 (Clinical Psychology, Neuropsychology).
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2005 (Clinical Psychology).
- B.A., San Jose State University, 2003 (Psychology).
Current lab projects include:
- Learning mechanisms underlying sensitivity to subword combinatorial orthographic regularity (SCORe)
- Application of Cattell’s Investment Theory to reading development across the lifespan
- The role of executive functioning in orthographic processing among preschoolers
- Emotional contributions to reading across the lifespan
- (PI), Interaction between cognitive and social-emotional processing: Implications for psychosocial functioning, VISN 22 Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, PALA Grant. $10,000.00. 2012 to 2013. Status: Completed.
- (Trainee), Herbert B. Silber, Ph.D., Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC), National Research Service Award. (T34 GM008253), 2001 to 2003. Status: Completed.
- (PI), Mano, Quintino, Neural mechanisms for orthographic processing in children: An fMRI study, UC. (URC Faculty Awards AY2014-15), $6,500.00. 05/01/2015 to 04/30/2016. Status: Active.
- (Faculty Mentor), ROLE OF EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONS IN WORD READING AMONG COLLEGE STUDENTS, University Research Council, Undergraduate Student Research Fellowship. $1,500.00. 04-2015 to 07-2015. Status: Completed.
- (Collaborator), Libby Hunter, Susan Watts-Taffe, Quintino Mano, WORDUP: WORD CONSCIOUSNESS PILOT, The Donald C. and Laura M. Harrison Family Foundation Grant. $15,000.00. 11-2015 to 05-2016. Status: Active.
- (Mentor), Julia Guerin, Mark Fischer, Quintino Mano, Poverty-literacy associations and cognitive functioning: Implications for developmental dyslexia, Frakes Research Grant. $1,000.00. 11-2017 to 05-2018. Status: Active.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Mano, Q. R., Brown, G. G., Mirzakhanian, H., Bolden, K., Cadenhead, K. S., & Light, G. A. (2014). Not all distraction is bad: Working memory vulnerability to implicit socioemotional distraction correlates with negative symptoms and functional impairment in psychosis. Schizophrenia Research and Treatment, doi:10.1155/2014/320948.
- Mano, Q. R., Humphries, C., Desai, R., Seidenberg, M., Osmon, D. C., Stengel, B., & Binder, J. R. (2013). The role of left posterior occipitotemporal cortex in reading: Reconciling stimulus, task, and lexicality effects. Cerebral Cortex, 23(4), 988-1001.
- Brown, G. G., Turner, T., Mano, Q. R., & Bolden, K. (2013). Experimental manipulation of working memory model parameters: An exercise in construct validity. Psychological Assessment, 25(3), 844-858.
- McKenna, B. S., Brown, G. G., Drummond, S. P. A., Turner, T., & Mano, Q. R. (2013). Linking mathematical modeling with human neuroimaging to segregate core verbal working memory functions from stimulus encoding. Neuropsychology, 27(2), 243-255.
- Mano, Q. R., Brown, G. G., Bolden, K., Aupperle, R., Sullivan, S., Paulus, M. P., & Stein, M. B. (2013). Curvilinear relationship between phonological working memory load and social-emotional modulation. Cognition & Emotion, 27(2), 283-304.
- Mano, Q. R., & Brown, G. G. (2013). Cognition-emotion interactions in schizophrenia: Emerging evidence on working memory load and implicit facial-affective processing. Cognition & Emotion, 27(5), 875-899.
- Desai, R. H., Binder, J. R., Conant, L. L., Mano, Q. R., & Seidenberg, M. S. (2011). The neural career of sensorimotor metaphors. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 23(9), 2376-2386.
- Mano, Q. R., Patrick, C. J., Andresen, E. A., Capizzi, K., Biagioli, R., & Osmon, D. C. (2010). Re-examining format distortion and orthographic neighborhood size effects in the left, central and right visual fields. Journal of Research in Reading, 33(4), 356-373.
- Mano, Q. R. & Osmon, D. C. (2008). Visuoperceptual-orthographic reading abilities: A confirmatory factor analysis study. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 30(4), 421-434.
- Osmon, D. C., Plambeck, E. A., Klein, L., & Mano, Q. (2006). The Word Reading Test of effort in adult learning disability: A simulation study. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 20(2), 315-324.
- Mano, Q. R., Williamson, B., Pae, H. K., & Osmon, D. C. (2016). Stroop interference associated with efficient reading fluency and prelexical orthographic processing. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 38(3), 275-283.
- Mano, Q. R. (2016). Developing sensitivity to subword combinatorial orthographic regularity (SCORe): A two-process framework. Scientific Studies of Reading, 20(3), 231-247.
- Pae, H. K., Kim, S-A., & Mano, Q. R., Kwon, Y-J. (2016). Sublexical and lexical processing of English orthography among nonnative speakers of English. Reading & Writing, 30, 1-24.
- Mano, Q. R., Jastrowski Mano, K., Denton, C. A., Epstein, J. N., & Tamm, L. (2017). Gender moderates association between emotional-behavioral problems and text comprehension in children with both reading difficulties and ADHD. Psychology in the Schools, 54(5), 504-518.
- Mano, Q. R., & Guerin, J. M. (2018). Direct and indirect effects of print exposure on silent reading fluency. Reading and Writing.
- Osmon, D. C., & Mano, Q. R. (2008). Malingered attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Effort, depression, and dependence in the pursuit of academic accommodations. In J. E. Morgan & J. J. Sweet (Eds.), Neuropsychology of Malingering Case Book. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Pae, H. K., Kim, S-A., Mano, Q. R., & Wang, M. (In Press). Crosslinguistic influences of script format: L1-derived syllabification in reading L2 English among native Korean readers. In H. K. Pae (Ed.), Writing Systems, Reading Processes, and Cross-Linguistic Influences: Reflections from the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Languages. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Mano, Q. R., Smerz, J., Osmon, D. C. Woods, D., Kilderman, J., & Sun, Y. (2005). Neuropsychological patterns in simple and complex Tourette’s syndrome. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 7, 833.
- Mano, Q. R., Osmon, D. C., & Klein, L. (2005). Factor analysis of visuoperceptual-orthographic processing: Perceptual processing speed, early perception, late-post perception, and morphological awareness. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 7, 844.
- Mano, Q. R., Osmon, D. C., & Klein, L. (2005). Phonological-core model vs. double-deficit hypothesis in visuoperceptual-orthographic reading processes. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 7, 455.
- Pae, H. K., Kim, S-A., & Mano, Q. R. (Under Review). Another look at the role of vowel letters in word reading in L2 English among native Korean readers.
- Mano, Q. R., & Kloos, H. (Revision Under Review). Sensitivity to the regularity of letter patterns within print among preschoolers: Implications for emerging literacy.
- Osmon, D. C., Santos, O., Kazakov, D., Kassel, M., Mano, Q. R., & Morth, A. (Under Review). Big Five personality relationships with general intelligence and specific Cattell-Horn-Carroll factors of intelligence.
- Jastrowski Mano, K. E., Gibler, R., Mano, Q., & Beckman, E. (Under Review). Attentional bias toward school-related academic and social threat among test-anxious undergraduate students.
- Mano, Q. R., Jastrowski Mano, K. E., **Guerin, J. M., **Gibler, R., Becker, S. P., Denton, C. A., Epstein, J. N., & Tamm, L. (Under Review). Fluid reasoning and reading difficulties among children with ADHD.
Presentations & Lectures
- Quintino Mano (2015). Neuropsychology of Reading and Dyslexia Cincinnati Academy of Professional Psychology (CAPP), Cincinnati, OH.
- Mano (2016). Specific Learning Disabilities in the context of ADHD: Understanding their Co-occurrence Center for ADHD, Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
- Mano, Q. R., *Jones, C., *Convey, A., *Arwood, Z., & Kloos, H. (2015). Developing sensitivity to the statistical regularities of subword orthography: Bigrams come first. Cognitive Development Society, Columbus, OH.
- Guerin, J., & Mano, Q. R. (2017). Attentional control associated with sensitivity to the statistical regularity of subword orthography International Neuropsychological Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Yockey, R., & Mano, Q. R. (2016). Pseudoword and word reading abilities in relationship to executive functioning in college students American Psychological Association, Denver, CO.
- Bolden, K. A., Mano, Q. R., Thomas, M., Wirth, P., Cadenhead, K. S., Murphy, C., Twamley, E., Mueller, R-A., & Brown, G. G. (2017). Implicit socioemotional modulation of working memory brain activity in schizophrenia. International Congress on Schizophrenia Research, San Diego, CA..
Experience & Service
- 09/01/2014Director, Laboratory for Cognitive and Affective Neuropsychology.
Post Graduate training and Education
- 2010 to 2013, Postdoctoral Fellowship, Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center (MIRECC), University of California, San Diego and San Diego Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Mentor, Psi Chi 2014
- Peer Review/Referee, Child Neuropsychology 2014 to 2014
- Peer Review/Referee, NeuroImage 2014 to 2014
- Board Member, Reading & Literacy Discovery Center 2015 to Present
- Peer Review/Referee, Neuropsychology 2015 to Present
- Peer Review/Referee, Scientific Studies of Reading 2015 to Present
- Ohio Board of Psychology, Licensed Psychologist 7355 2015
- -PSYC-5059 RES METH:NEUROPSYCH
- -PSYC-1001 INTRO TO PSYCHOLOGY
- -PSYC-7031 BIOL BASES OF BEH
- -PSYC-9060 NEUROPSYCHOLOGY I
- -PSYC-9061 NEUROPSYCHOLOGY II