Department Campus Address:
Department of Political Science
University of Cincinnati
Crosley Tower, room 1110
Mail Location - 0375
Office: (513) 556-3300
Please examine the graduate handbook or contact the Graduate Program Director for more details on the structure of the PhD program. The basic requirements are:
1. Credits - minimum of 90 total semester credits if entering with a BA; minimum of 60 semester credits if entering with a Master's degree from another institution.
2. Curriculum requirements
Requirements of all PhD students: 16 credits
Course work in 2 Major Areas of Study: 40 credits
Distribution Requirement: 12 credits
3. Satisfactory Progress - The Graduate Committee annually will review performance of PhD students. The review will determine if the student will be permitted to continue work toward the doctorate. A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required by the Graduate School to obtain a graduate degree.
4. Comprehensive Examinations - Typically during their third year of full-time study students take comprehensive written and oral exams in two areas of political science. The major areas of study are American politics, comparative politics, international relations, and research methodology.
5. Dissertation Proposal and Admission to Candidacy - When the student has passed the comprehensive examinations, prepared an acceptable dissertation proposal, and presented the proposal in a colloquium, the Political Science Department will recommend to the Graduate School that the student be admitted into candidacy for the PhD.
6. Dissertation Defense - The University requires the PhD to be completed within nine years of admission to the program. The dissertation must be defended to a committee of at least three UC faculty members. The dissertation committee may also include outside scholars.