Sean Hughes has over 25 years of professional documentary, photojournalism and design experience. He is currently a full-time Associate Professor, Educator of Photojournalism and Media Design in the Department of Journalism at the University of Cincinnati, as well as a working documentary director, videographer, photojournalist, and publication art director for Everything Sondheim.
Prior to that, Hughes was the Art Director for both CityBeat newspaper and The Sondheim Review national magazine. While at CityBeat he won over 20 local, state and national awards for photography, web and graphic design from Ohio and Cincinnati Society of Professional Journalists, Cleveland Press Club, Association of Alternative Newspapers (AAN) and AWN, including two-time Ohio SPJ's Designer of the Year (2004 and 2006).
His photojournalism and documentary work runs the gamut: from NCAA basketball finals to extensive documentary studies in Cuba and India; coverage of medical teams in Oaxaca, Mexico; an official photographer for the Bunbury Music Festival; and numerous magazine features. He also served as the director of photography for the first-ever U.S.-held World Choir Games in 2012. Hughes was also one of six photographers chosen state-wide to create a “re-photographic” survey of Ohio sites documented as part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal in the 1930s, through the Farm Security Administration (FSA). The project was organized by the Ohio Humanities Council with support from the National Endowment for the Arts. The photo survey is now a touring exhibit, with a featured exhibit as part of the FotoFocus Biennial in 2012: Images of the Great Depression: A Documentary Portrait of Ohio 1935-2010.
Recently, his cinematography, editing and co-directing role in the award-winning documentary The Intimate Realities of Water led to ten film festival awards including Best Documentary and Best Overall Film awards at the Los Angeles International Film Festival.
- M.A., Ball State University, 1993 (Journalism).
- B.A., University of Cincinnati, 1992 (Sociology).
Presentations & Lectures
- Sean Hughes, David Sorcher (11/18/2010). Documentary Photography in the Digital Age Antonelli College, Cincinnati, OH. [Link]
- (04/22/2010). Authors, Editors and Composers Russell C. Myers Alumni Center.
- Sean Hughes, Nicole Scholton (03/17/2009). Visual Media and Society Clark Montessori. [Link]
- Sean Hughes, Adam Pearson (05/03/2010). A Journey to India: Everyday Life and Traditions Bridgetown Middle School. [Link]
- Sean Hughes, Mary Beth Platen (04/07/2010). A Journey to India: Everyday Life and Traditions Fairview-Clifton German Bilingual School. [Link]
- Sean Hughes, Elissa Sonnenberg, Jenny Wohlfarth (05/07/2010). Journalism Advisory Board: Photojournalism Outreach 222 McMicken, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences. [Link]
- Sean Hughes (01/25/2010). Glimpses Of Unfamiliar India (18 images) Meijer Artway & The Gallery, Indiana University, Richmond IN Campus.
- Featured Presenter (04/21/2011). Authors, Editors and Composers Russell C. Myers Alumni Center.
- (04/17/2012). Authors, Editors and Composers Russell C. Myers Alumni Center.
- (04/09/2013). Authors, Editors and Composers Russell C. Myers Alumni Center.
- (06/27/2012). Documentary Photojournalism - Lecture Proctor & Gamble, West Chester, Ohio.
- (02/04/2013). PCGC - Documentary Photojournalism Lecture Wyoming, OH.
- (11/06/2012). FSA Photo Exhibit - Gallery Tour Sycamore Gallery, Cincinnati, OH.
- Sean Hughes, Nicole Scholton (09/24/2012). The Art and Deception of Photography Clark Montessori, Cincinnati, OH.
- (10/24/2012). FotoFocus Lecture Series.
- Sean Hughes, Tim Kraus (2012). Hughes STEM Program - Photography Intersession Hughes High School, Cincinnati, OH.
- Sean Hughes (11/02/2013). Concerned Exhibit - panel discussion.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio and Cincinnati SPJ, Cleveland Press Club, Association of Alternative News-weeklies Awards, 1995-2009 — Winner of over 20 local, state and national awards for photography, web and graphic design from Ohio and Cincinnati SPJ, Press Club, AAN and AWN, 1995 to 2010. Winner of over 20 local, state and national awards for photography, web and graphic design from Ohio and Cincinnati SPJ, Press Club, AAN and AWN.
- Ohio SPJ's Designer of the Year — 2006, 2006.
- Ohio SPJ's Designer of the Year — 2004, 2004.
- SPJ Cincinnati Awards, 2009 to 2009. SPJ Cincinnati Award for Page 1 layout (Art Direction and design) SPJ Cincinnati Award for Inside page design (Art Direction and design) SPJ Cincinnati Award for cover illustration of Obama crossing the Delaware (Art Direction) SPJ Cincinnati Award for Election Day photography SPJ Cincinnati Award for Annual Manual package (Art Direction, photography and design) .
Experience & Service
- 12-2010 to 08-2011, New Media Bureau Chief, University of Cincinnati, McMicken College of Arts and Sciences.
- 01-2009 to Present, Educator Assistant Professor of Journalism, University of Cincinnati, McMicken College of Arts and Sciences.
- 2009 to Present, Multimedia journalist (contributing), WCPO.com, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2009 to Present, Photographer (one of eight chosen in the State of Ohio), Ohio Humanities Council, Columbus, OH.
- 2009 to Present, Multimedia journalist (staff), Cincinnati CityBeat Alternative News Weekly, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2005 to Present, Art Director, The Sondheim Review, Chicago.
- 2004 to 2009, Photo Editor, CityBeat.
- 1995 to 2009, Art Director, CityBeat.
- 1994 to Present, Adjunct Instructor of Design, Information Technologies, Cincinnati State, Cincinnati.
- 1994 to 1995, Editor, Ohio Valley ASMP News, Cincinnati.
- 1993 to 1996, Graphic Designer and Photographer, Bearcat Sports Digest, Cincinnati.
- 2012 to 2012, Director of Photography,.
- 08-2012 to 12-2012, Media Advisor, The News Record,.
- Program Coordinator, Journalism Program Photojournalism and Design Track Coordinator, 01-2009 to Present
- Review Board/Panel, Journalism Program Journalism Semester Conversion, 08-2009 to 08-2012
- Member, Journalism Program Journalism Awards faculty nominations for student grants and scholarships, 01-2009 to Present
- Review Board/Panel, Journalism Program Arts and Culture in Media, 05/16/2009 to 05/17/2009
- Member, Journalism Program Journalism Hall of Fame, Luncheon and Reception, 05-2009 to 05-2009
- Committee Member, A&S Curriculum Committee, 01-2011 to Present
- Committee Member, Undergraduate Studies Committee, 08-2012 to Present
- Committee Member, A&S Faculty Senate, 02-2012 to Present
- Review Board/Panel, Ohio Articulation and Transfer Network Journalism Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG) Faculty Review Panel, 11-2013 to Present
- Department Liaison, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences A&S Diversity Committee, 08-2013 to Present
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- Social Documentary, member, . SocialDocumentary.net
- Lightstalkers, member, lightstalkers.org
- National Press Photographers Association, member,