Faculty & Staff
< Back to list
Joel D Wolfe
Office: 1117 Crosley Tower
- Ph.D., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1978 (Political Science).
- A.B., University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1970 (Political Science).
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Who rules the EU? Pragmatism and power in European
integration theory, Journal of Political Power
Vol. 4, No. 1, April 2011, 127–144
- POWER AND PRIVATIZATION: Choice and Competition in the Remaking of British Democracy (1996) London: Macmillan and New York: St. Martin's Press.
- THE POLITICS OF ECONOMIC ADJUSTMENT: Pluralism, Corporatism, and Privatization (1989) Co-edited with Richard E. Foglesong. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- WORKERS, PARTICIPATION, AND DEMOCRACY: Internal Politics in the British Union Movement (1985) Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- "Power: A Pragmatist Proposal," (2002) Studies in Symbolic Interactionism, ed., Norman K. Denzin, (Greenwich CT: JAI Press), No 25, pp. 305-326.
- "Power and Regulation in Britain," (1999) Political Studies, XLVII, December, 890-905.
- "State Power and Ideology in Britain: Mrs Thatcher's Privatization Programme," (1991) Political Studies Vol 34, No 2, June, 237-52.
- Review of Rick Tilman (2007) Thorstein Veblen and the Enrichment of Evolutionary Naturalism. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press. 343pp, £31.95, 978 0 8262 1714 1In Political Studies Review, 2010.
Popular Magazine Article
- “A Liberal Humanist Polity: A Review of SH Beer, The City of Reason” (Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1949), British Politics Group Quarterly, June, 2008.
- "The Power of Philosophy: A Review Essay," (2001) Philosophy of the Social Sciences, March, pp 111-121.
- "Party Competition on the Internet: Minor versus Major Parties in the UK and USA," (1999) co-authored with Michael Margolis and David Resnick. Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics, Vol 4, No 4, September, pp. 24-47.
- "Varieties of Participatory Democracy and Democratic Theory," (1986) Political Science Reviewer, Vol. XVI, Fall, pp.1-38.
- "Class Formation and Democracy: The Decline of Working-Class Power
in Britain," (1986) West European Politics, Vol. 9, No. 3, July.
- "A Defense of Participatory Democracy," (1985) The Review of Politics, Vol. 47, No. 3, July, pp. 370-389.
- "Corporatism and Union Democracy: The British Miners and Incomes Policy, 1973-74," (1985) Comparative Politics Vol. 17, No 4, July, pp. 421-436.
- Robert J Lacey, American Pragmatism and Democratic Faith. DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, 2007. In Political Studies Review, 2009.
- Nikolaos Zahariadis, Ambiguity and Choice in Public Policy: Political Decision Making in Modern Democracies. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2003. In British Politics Group Newsletter, 2004
- David Coates and Peter Lawler, eds, New Labour in Power. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000; John Swift, Labour in Crisis. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2001; and D. Tanner, P. Thane, and N. Tiratsoo, Labour’s First Century. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000, In British Politics Group Newsletter, No 113, 2003
- Patrick Ainley, Learning Policy: Towards the Certified Society. London: Macmillan, 1999, In British Politics Group Newsletter, 2002
- Christopher Hood, et. al., Regulation Inside Government: Waste-Watchers, Quality Police, and Sleaze-Busters. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999, and Chris Hilson, Regulating Pollution: A UK and EC Perspective. Oxford-Portland Oregon: Hart Publishing, 2000. In British Politics Group Newsletter, No 103, 2001.
- Sylvia Horton and David Farnham, eds., Public Management in Britain, Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1999. In British Politics Group Newsletter, No102, 2000.
- Colin Hay, The Political Economy of New Labour: Labouring under False Pretences? (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1999). In British Politics Group Newsletter, No 101, 2000
- Review of Michael Moran, Business, Politics, and Society: An Anglo-American Comparison Oxford: OUP, 2009, In Political Studies Review, 2011
- Review of Mark Bevir and R.A.W. Rhodes, The State as Cultural Practice Oxford: OUP, 2010, In Political Studies Review, ISSN 1478-9299, 01/2012, Volume 10, Issue 1, 129 - 130
- Nicholas Shaxon, Treasure Islands: Uncovering the Damage of Offshore Banking and Tax Havens. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011. ISBN 978-0-230-10501-0, British Politics Quarterly, Winter 2012, No. 147
Work in Progress
- “Does Pragmatism have a Theory of Power?” accepted for the European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy 2011
Presentations & Lectures
- D Baker and J Wolfe (07-2012). Neoliberalism in Crisis: State and Polity vs Global Market Power in the UK. SPERI Conference on British Growth Crisis, Sheffield University, UK.
Honors & Awards
- TAFT CENTER RESEARCH FELLOW AWARD, TAFT, 2011 to 2011. TAFT CENTER AWARD SUPPORTED THE SPRING 2011 SEMINAR ON POLITICAL ECONOMY OF FASCISM CENTERING ON GUEST VISITING SCHOLAR, PROFESSOR DAVID BAKER FROM WARWICK UNIVERSITY. HE IS ALSO RUNNING A SEMINAR OPEN TO GRAD STUDENTS AND ALL FACULTY ON THIS TOPIC. .
Experience & Service
- Committee Member, AAUP Associates Council, 2010 to 2013
- Other, AAUP TRUSTEE, 2010 to 2012
- Committee Member, TAFT CENTER STUDENT AWARDS COMMITTEE, 2010 to 2011
- Editorial Board Member, Annual Edition: Comparative Politics Editorial Board, 2011 to 2012
- Other, BRITISH POLITICS GROUP LISTSERV, 2010 to 2011
- Other, BRITISH POLITICS GROUP WEBMASTER, 2010 to 2010
- Committee Member, POLITICAL SCIENCE UNDERGRADUATE COMMITTEE, 2011 to 2012
- Committee Member, POLITICAL SCIENCE GRAD COMMITTEE, 2011 to 2012
- Committee Member, POLITICAL SCIENCE RPT, 2011 to 2012
- Member, POLITICAL SCIENCE WORKLOAD/ MERIT, 2011 to 2012
- Committee Member, University Research Council Support Grants for postdoc, faculty, graduate students, 2011 to 2012
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- 2011 to 2012 ,AMERICAN POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION,
- 2011 to 2012 ,BRITISH POLITICS GROUP, . AFFILIATED TO APSA
- 2011 to 2012 ,COMPARATIVE POLITICS SECTION OF APSA,
- 15-POL-490 SENIOR PROJECT
Comments: capstone fulfills gen ed requirements
- Proseminar: comparative politics
Proseminar: comparative politics
Comments: required course for graduate students
- 15-POL-860 RES SEM:COMP POL
Comments: grad required class
- Pol of Europe I
Pol of Europe I
- 15-POL-490 SENIOR PROJECT
Comments: capstone gen ed and major requirment
- Approaches to Comparative Politics
Approaches to Comparative Politics
- 15-EUST-712 EUR STDS WK/SEM III
Comments: Instructor in UC European Studies Workshop, Autumn 2010, Europe: Crises and Responses
- 15-POL-253 POLIT INQUIRY I:APR
- 15-POL-253 POLIT INQUIRY I:APR
- Politics of the European Union
Politics of the European Union