The University's On-line Graduate Application must be completed in order to be considered for admission. There is a $45 non-refundable application fee.
You must complete the UC Graduate School's Online Graduate Application.
Some of the required information includes:
- The graduate program and degree of interest (MA, PhD, etc.)
- The semester and year that you would like to begin
- Your personal information including name, address, birth date and country of citizenship
- Your previous undergraduate and graduate school information including majors, degrees earned and college start and end dates
- The names and emails of three recommenders
- A statement of purpose describing your academic and professional interests and your future plans
- A sample of your written work; it may be in German or English and of any length
- You will have the option to upload a video essay; this is not a requirement of the program
In addition to the electronic application, the following additional materials may need to be mailed to the UC Graduate School:
- Transcripts of all college-level work taken for credit at any college or university
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- GRE scores; US applicants only (must be sent by ETS to UC's institution code, 1833)
- TOEFL Test. Students whose native language is not English must achieve a minimum score of 560 on the TOEFL test. The test must be taken in the student's own country before admission is granted.
All materials must be received by the January 15 deadline.
Please contact Dr. Tanja Nusser, the Director of Graduate Studies, if you have any questions about the MA and PhD programs in German Studies or the application process.