Department of Geology
500 Geology Physics Building
P.O. Box 210013
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0013
Faculty, Staff and Students
Attila I Kilinc
Title: Professor of experimental and computational geochemistry
Office: 611 Geology-Physics Building
Experimental, theoretical and computational geochemistry at high temperatures and pressures; oxidation state of magmas, role of volatiles in magmatic processes, petrology and geochemistry of tholeiitic and alkaline basalts, physical geochemistry of explosive volcanism.
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA, 1969 (Geochemistry-Geology).
- MS, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA, 1966 (Experimental petrology-geochemistry).
- Experimental study of thermal and chemical diffusion of components of waste-forms at geologic conditions, NRC: (Nuclear Regulatory Commission): . $78,000.
- Microscope - closed circuit TV monitors functional unit for interactive teaching, NSF. $30,000.
- Study of joint fillings from granitic rocks of the East Central Sierra Nevada, California, USGS. $17,000.
- Research and Development Award, UC . $22,000.
- Research Challenge Award, UC.
- (Co-PI), Faculty Development Award to Women. $25,000.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Dogan, U., Dogan, M., Kilinc, A., and Locke, D., 2008. An isobaric-isenthalpic magma mixing model for the Hasan Dagi volcano, Central Anatolia, Turkey. Bulletin of Volcanology. v.70,797-804
- Dogan, U., Dogan, M., Kilinc, A., and Locke, D., 2007, An isobaric-isenthalpic magma mixing model for the Hasan Dagi volcano, Central Anatolia, Turkey: Bulletin of Volcanology, p. DOI 10.1007/s00445-007-0167-9.
- Kumral, M., Coban, H., Gedikoglu, A., and Kilinc, A., 2006, Petrologic And Geochemical Signatures Of Augite Trachytes And Porphyritic Trachytes From The Golcuk Volcanic Region, Isparta, SW Turkey : A Case Study: Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, no. 27, p. 707-716.
- With Quentin D. Singewald and O. Akinci, 1961, A Summary of the Geology of Uranium and Thorium: A.I.D. and Istanbul University Press.
- Gerke, T.L. Kilinc, A. I. and Sack, R. O., 2005, Ti-content of high-Ca pyroxenes as a petrogenetic indicator: an experimental study of mafic alkaline rocks from the Mt. Erebus volcanic region, Antarctica.: Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 148, p. 735-745.
- Solpuker, U. and Kilinc, A., 2007, Generation of alkali magmas of the Kula Volcanic Province, Western Turkey by decompressional melting of spinel peridotite source.: GSA South-Central North-Central meeting Abs, v. 39, no. 3.
- Ustunisik, G. and Kilinc, A., 2007, A new explanation for oscillatory zoning in plagioclase phenocrysts.: Abs AGU meeting, San Francisco.
- Kilinc, A., 2007, A computational thermodynamic model for explosive volcanism.: Abs. AGU meeting, San Francisco.
- Solpuker, U. and Kilinc, A., 2007, New Insights into Petrogenetic Processes at Kula Volcanic Province, Western Turkey.: Abs. AGU meeting, San Francisco.
- Kilinc, A. I. and Solpuker U., 2005, The Role of Low-pressure Fractionation in the Petrogenesis of the Kula Volcanic Province, Western Turkey: AGU Meeting, San Francisco, v. V41B-1450, p. 354.
- Dogan, U., Dogan, M., Kilinc, A., Ustunisik, G., 2004, Evaluation of alteration indices and validity of geochemical discriminant diagrams as applied to altered volcanics: An example from the Ankara volcanics: 32nd International Geological Congress, Florence, Italy. Abs.
- Dogan, U., Dogan, M., Kilinc, A., Yesilyurt, I., Ozbay, S., Doruel, Z., and Unsal, O., 2004, Reliability of geochemical discriminant diagrams as applied to the Central Anatolian Volcanics: 32nd International Geological Congress, Florence, Italy. Abs.
- Kilinc, A. and Gerke T., 2004, Variation of Kd for Fe-Mg exchange between olivine and melt for compositions ranging from alkaline basalt to rhyolite: Oxygen in Terrestrial Planets Abstract Vol, p. 37.
- Kilinc, A., 2004, Role of KCl-NaCl and CaCl2 fluids in igneous and ore-forming processes: AGU Meeting, San Francisco. Abs, v. 85, no. 47, p. F1872.
- Kilinc, A. and Gerke, T., 2003, Compositional dependency of Fe-Mg exchange between olivine and melt: GSA Abs., v. 35, no. 6, p. 72.
- Dogan, A. U., Dogan, M., Kilinc, A., Steele, I., Yesilyurt, F.I., Ustunisik, G., Ozbay, K S., Tigli, M., Conger, O., and Tosun, S., TE and REE modeling of Central Anatolian Volcanics, Turkey: Goldschmidt Conference Abs, p. 4.
Experience & Service
Post Graduate training and Education
- 1969 to 1970, Post doc, Stanford University, Palo Alto CA.