|University of California, Berkeley||A.B (1971)|
|University of California, Berkeley||M.A. (1974))|
|University of California, Berkely||Ph.D. (1976)|
Don Bogen is the author of four books of poetry, including his most recent book An Algebra, (University of Chicago Press, 2009). His critical book, A Necessary Order: Theodore Roethke and the Writing Process, was published by Ohio University Press in 1991. Along with his poetry, Bogen has been active as a reviewer and translator, and has collaborated with composers from the U.S. and abroad. Awards for his work include U.C.'s Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring Award and the Rieveschl Award for Excellence in Scholarly and Creative Work, the Emily Dickinson Award of the Poetry Society of America, Fulbright positions in Spain and at the Seamus Heaney Centre for Poetry of Queen's University-Belfast, and fellowships from the Camargo Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts. Nathaniel Ropes Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Bogen serves as Poetry Editor of The Cincinnati Review.
Poetry & Translation
Books of Poetry:
An Algebra. University of Chicago Press, 2009.
Luster. Wesleyan University Press, 2003.
The Known World. Wesleyan University Press, 1997.
After the Splendid Display. Wesleyan University Press, 1986.
A Necessary Order: Theodore Roethke and the Writing Process. Ohio University Press, 1991.
Poems in The American Poetry Review, Colorado Review, The Kenyon Review, Literary Imagination, The Nation, The New Republic, The Paris Review, Ploughshares, Poetry, Slate, Stand (U.K.), The Threepenny Review, The Yale Review and other journals. Translations of poetry in Arts & Letters, Boston Review, Poetry International, Poetry Northwest, and elsewhere. Reviews and critical articles in American Book Review, ELH, The Nation, Papers on Language and Literature,The Threepenny Review, and elsewhere. Poetry and critical work included in the anthologies IOU: New Writing on Money, (Concord Free Press, 2010); State of the Union: 50 Political Poems, (Wave Books, 2008); Dark Horses: Poets on Overlooked Poems (University of Illinois Press, 2006); The Wilderness of Vision: On the Poetry of John Haines (Story Line Press, 1996), and others. Musical collaborations performed at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the Ball State University Festival of New Music, Randolf-Macon Women's College, and elsewhere and recorded on the CD Implements of Actuation (Electronic Music Foundation, 2000).
Honors & Awards:
- Fulbright Distinguished Scholarship, Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 2011.
- University Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring Award, University of Cincinnati, 2010.
- Fellow of the Graduate School, University of Cincinnati, 2009.
- Witter Bynner Poetry Translator Residency, Santa Fe Arts Institute, 2008.
- Fulbright Senior Lectureship, Spain, 2003.
- Ohio Arts Council Individual Artists Fellowship, 1999.
- George Rieveschl, Jr. Award for Excellence in Scholarly or Creative Works, University of Cincinnati, 1998.
- Walter E. Dakin Fellowship, Sewanee Writers' Conference, 1997.
- Poetry Society of America The Writer / Emily Dickinson Award, 1997.
- Summer Residency at Yaddo, 1996.
- Fellowship at the Camargo Foundation, Cassis, France, 1993.
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, 1989.
- Ingram Merrill Foundation Grant, 1989.
- Ohio Arts Council Individual Artists Fellowship, 1985.
- Associated Writing Programs Anniversary Awards, Grand Prize, 1982.
- Department of English William C. Boyce Teaching Award, University of Cincinnati, 1982.
- Discovery / The Nation Award, 1980.
- Eugene V. Debs Foundation Edwin Markham Award, 1976.
Honors & Awards
English and Comparative Literature
- Poetry Editor, The Cincinnati Review, 2004-present
- Elliston Digitalization Committee, 2013-the present
- Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2012-the present
- Special Events Committee, 1976-the present; Chair, 1982-1984, 1985-1987
- Elliston Poet Search Committee, 1994-the present; Chair, 1994-2002
- Center of Excellence Proposal Committee, 2009
- Mentor for Yates Fellow, 2006-2007
- Steering Committee, 1986-1988, 1998-2000
- Graduate Curriculum Committee, 1998-1999
- Workload Implementation Committee, 1994-1995
- Graduate Admissions and Awards Committee, 1993-1994
- Boyce Award Committee, 1983, 1984, 1994; Chair, 1983, 1994
- M.A. Exam Committee, 1983, 1992
- Undergraduate Awards Committee, 1991
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 1989-1990
- English 103 Syllabus Committee, 1982
University of Cincinnati
- Judging Committee for University Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring Award, 2011-the present
- Judging Committee for College of Arts & Sciences Faculty Awards,
- 2009 Judging Committee for University Distinguished Dissertation
- Completion Fellowship, 2009
- Taft Planning Committee, 2008-2009
- Taft Faculty Executive Board, 19867-1992, 2004-2008
- Taft Student Awards Committee, 2005-2008; Chair 2007-2008 Rieveschl
- Award Committee, 2004-2006;
- Chair 2006 Taft Planning Committee, 1990-1992, 2004-2005
- Taft Chair Search Committee, 1993-1994, 2003
- Taft Committee on Graduate Fellowships, 1981-1992; Chair, 1987-1992
- College Review Committee for Russian Program, 1983 University Child
- Care Committee, 1982 Founding Member, U-Kids Day Care Cooperative, 1982
Personal and Community Service
- Promotion and tenure reviews for English Departments:
University of Wisconsin, Green Bay, 2012
Mississippi State University, 2012
University of California, Irvine, 2007
Florida State University, 2005
University of Alabama, Birmingham, 2005
Georgia State University, 2003
Ohio State University, 2001
- Judge for Eugene Paul Nassar Poetry Prize for best published book of poetry, 2012
- Judge (2nd level, French) for Translation Award of the American Literary Translators' Association, 2005
Camargo Foundation Creative Writing Selection Committee, 1994-2001; Chair, 1996-2001
- Screener for poetry manuscripts, Wick Poetry Prize, Kent State University Press, 2001
- Screener for poetry manuscripts, Associated Writing Programs Award Series, 1998
- Manuscript reviewer in creative writing, HarperCollins, 1995
- Judge for 2001-2002 Overture Awards Regional Competition in
- Judge for student poetry awards:
- California State University, Northridge, 2010
Emerson College, 2005-2006
Southern Connecticut State University, 2004
Ohio State University, 1999
Miami University, 1982