< Back to list
Dr. Whembolua is an Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management in the department of Africana studies and an affiliate faculty in the College of Medicine at the University of Cincinnati. As behavioral scientist, his research explores interdisciplinary approaches to the study of infectious diseases in low-income countries (global health), immigrant health and behavioral factors influencing health among underserved populations (health disparities). He is the director of the Global Health Studies certificate.
Professor Whembolua is the current Chair of the American Public Health Association Caucus on Refugee and Immigrant Health.
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, University Park (Biobehavioral Health).
- Infectious diseases in low-income countries
- Immigrant health
- Behavioral factors influencing health among underserved populations
- Whembolua GL, Conserve DF. Thomas K., Handler L. (2017). A Systematic Review of HIV Serostatus Disclosure among African Immigrants in Europe. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, Aug;19 (4), 947-958.
- Ilunga Tshiswaka D, Whembolua GL, Conserve DF. (2017). A Qualitative Analysis of Newspaper Response to the Ebola Outbreak in Central Africa. Africology: The Journal of Pan African Studies, Vol.10, No.1, March 2017, 1 (March), 224.
- Whembolua GL, Conserve DF, Ilunga Tshiswaka D (2017). Socio-cultural Factors Influencing the Ebola Virus Disease-related Stigma among African Immigrants in the United States. Irinkerindo: A Journal of African Migration, December (9), 114-136.
- Oluwoye OA, Whembolua GL, Merianos AL (2017). Extending the reach: The influence of social media and culture on substance use among African and African American males. Spectrum: A Journal on Black Men, 6 (1), 59-75 .
- Ilunga Tshiswaka D, Ibe-Lamberts K, Whembolua GL, Fapohunda A, Tull ES. (2017). Going to the Gym is not Congolese’s Culture”: Examining Attitudes toward Physical Activity and Risk for Type-2 Diabetes among Congolese Immigrants. . The Diabetes Educator (December 28).
- Conserve DF, Whembolua GL, Surkan PJ (2016). Attitudes Toward Intimate Partner Violence and Associations With Condom Use Among Men in Haiti: An Analysis of the Nationally Representative Demographic Health Survey. J Interpers Violence, 31(6):989-1006. (6), 989-1006.
- Conserve DF, Iwelunmor J, Whembolua GL, Sofolahan-Oladeinde Y, Teti M, Surkan PJ (2016). Factors Associated With HIV Testing Among Men in Haiti: Results From the 2012 Demographic and Health Survey. Am J Mens Health, Mar 9.
- Whembolua GL, Conserve DF, IlungaTshiswaka D. (2015). Cultural Identity and Health Promotion: Assessing a Health Education Campaign Targeting African Immigrants in France. (8) :23-39 . Journal of Pan African Studies July, 8 (2), 23.
- Whembolua GL, Conserve DF, Gott M (2014). Racial Profiling: the Afro-French Experience. Black Diaspora Review, 4 (2), 16-34.
- Ilunga Tshiswaka D., Whembolua GL, Conserve DF,Mwamba M. (2014). Factors Associated with Health Insurance Coverage and Health Insurance Knowledge among Congolese Immigrants in Illinois. Journal of Public Health, 22, 497.
- Okuyemi, K. S., Goldade, K., Whembolua, G., Thomas, J. L., Eischen, S., Sewali, B., Guo, H., Connett, J. E., Grant, J., Ahluwalia, J. S., Resnicow, K., Owen, G., Gelberg, L., & Des Jarlais, D. (2013). Motivational interviewing to enhance nicotine patch treatment for smoking cessation among homeless smokers: a randomized controlled trial.. Addiction (Abingdon, England), 108 (6), 1136-44.
- Harcourt, N., Ghebre, R. G., Whembolua, G., Zhang, Y., Warfa Osman, S., & Okuyemi, K. S. (2013). Factors Associated with Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Behavior Among African Immigrant Women in Minnesota.. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health / Center For Minority Public Health.
- Whembolua, G., Davis, J. T., Reitzel, L. R., Guo, H., Thomas, J. L., Goldade, K. R., Okuyemi, K. S., & Ahluwalia, J. S. (2012). .Subjective social status predicts smoking abstinence among light smokers.. American Journal of Health Behavior, 36 (5), 639-46.
- Goldade, K., Burgess, D., Olayinka, A., Whembolua, G., & Okuyemi, K. S. (2012). Applying anthropology to eliminate tobacco-related health disparities.. Nicotine & Tobacco Research : Official Journal of the Society For Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 14 (6), 631-8.
- Banjo O, Whembolua GL, Howard S, Frederick N, *Lindsey (2015). As Seen on TV: Hip Hop Images and Health Consequences in the Black Community”. In Earl Wright (Eds.), The Research Companion to Black Sociology (pp.223-240). Ashgate Publishing Company.
Honors & Awards
- McNair Faculty Mentor of the Year, University of Cincinnati, 2015.
- Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network Fellow, 2011. University of Michigan.
- Ardeth and Norman Frisbey International Award , 2000.
Experience & Service
Post Graduate training and Education
- Program in Health Disparities Research, Postdoctoral Associate, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis,MN.
- 15-AFST-270 PERS HEALTH AF AM
- -AFST-1005 INTRO GLOBAL HEALTH
- -AFST-3005 AFR HEALTH DEVEL
- Global Health Equity
Global Health Equity
- AFST 2052
- -PSYC-3034 DIVERSITY & HEALTH