At the University of Cincinnati, the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences is the intellectual hub for a broad transdisciplinary scientific, social scientific, and humanistic research and education. We prepare students to be ethical, critical, socially responsible, and engaged global citizens and leaders ready to enhance the human condition. We are simultaneously producing lifelong learners, scholars, and researchers. We push the boundaries of knowledge convinced that each new bold discovery potentially advances humanity at a time when it is critical to keep pace with the speed of new advances. McMicken College of Arts and Sciences is a research enterprise that integrates discovery with learning, inside and outside the classroom; hence a highly productive research faculty with a commitment to civic and social responsibility will facilitate the most prepared, engaged student.
The great challenges to humanity today are the impact of technology on local and global communities, the consequence of accelerating populations, tremendous health disparities, the need to provide resources for increasing the physical, social, and ethical well being of humanity, and the need to provide a sustainable environment and a safe political environment for all. As such we need to advance knowledge in the following [presented in no particular order]:
1) Digital and technological innovation and community
2) Environmental issues/change
3) Global health disparities
4) Political, civic and ethical understanding
5) Development of sustainable energy and water resources
6) Local, national and international security
These problems/issue are complex and require not only cutting edge expertise, but also a transdisciplinary approach. Our students are poised to make significant contributions to these challenges as they are being trained as responsible citizens, knowledgeable and critical thinkers, problem solvers, and team players.
McMicken faculty and students are engaged in developing new modes of discovery, expanding notions of community, and connecting classroom experiences with real-life applications. Each of these actions contributes to the purposive momentum with which we strive toward eminence in the aforementioned areas.
The McMicken College of Arts and Sciences also facilitates UC’s urban research mission by extending its footprint via outreach and economic impact throughout the state and nation. The college continues its commitment and investment in quality research innovation, and national leadership in sciences, social sciences, and humanities. We continue to reduce the duration to graduation for our students and increase our retention rates, specifically providing a sense of community for all of our students especially during their freshman year. Additionally, graduate student training and research, as well as service learning remain at the forefront of these priorities in addition to building collaborative research relationships across campus. Moreover, we have been and will continue to be committed to providing research experiences, internships, study abroad opportunities, and civic engagement for all our students.
The McMicken College of Arts and Sciences will be a leader in transformational, innovative, interdisciplinary scholarship and research, student success, and civic engagement. We will demonstrate excellence and leadership in responsibly addressing social, political, ethical, and environmental problems.
The raison d’etre of McMicken College of Arts and Sciences as a research intensive college, in its Midwestern urban context of Cincinnati, is to prepare students to be effective, civically engaged, globally aware, citizens and scholars who have been trained to analyze the world’s social, political, ethical, and environmental problems and are committed to addressing and/or solving them.
VALUES: As we train students to make a difference by addressing challenges in local communities and throughout the larger world, we do so by placing a premium on the following values that will ensure our long-term vitality and reputation for excellence in research, teaching, and service:
* Civic Engagement, Social Responsibility, and Ethical inquiry
* Interdisciplinary Collaboration
* STEM Education
* Humanistic Inquiry
* Diversity Inclusion
* Transformative and Experiential learning
* Global Scholarship and Curricular Internationalization
AIMS: How Do We Get There?
The selected way to achieve the previously stated vision is to establish arts and sciences as a recognized cluster comprised of several areas of excellence* within the University of Cincinnati and within the international higher education community. To do so, we absolutely must ensure eminence in these “areas of excellence” via:
- Exceptional levels of high impact faculty research productivity
- Prestigious faculty research fellowships and awards
- Discovery and innovation (e.g. patents, trademarks, etc.)
- Nationally competitive student awards
- Sustained extramural funding of research
- Exceptional teaching that integrates high quality research
- Recruitment, retention, promotion, and support of very productive, diverse faculty
- Joint appointments and cross-disciplinary scholarly collaborations across A&S/Univ.
- Competitive graduate student training, professional preparedness, and placement
- Enhanced opportunities for student discovery, research, internships, study abroad, civic engagement, innovation and experiential learning (otherwise known as “McMicken Student Experience”)
- Increased minority student recruitment, retention, support, and graduation
- Increased international student recruitment, retention, support, and graduation
- Increased study abroad and international exchange participation
- Consistently superior student services, mentoring, and support
- Establishment of dual enrollment and professional certificate programs
- Promotion of transdisciplinary majors (e.g. Med. Humanities, Env. Studies, Neuroscience, etc.)
- Effective delivery of quality online degree programs (e.g. Psych)
- Enhanced participation of alumni participation and giving
- Adjusting college structures to facilitate and reflect interdisciplinary collaborations
- Mindful stewarding of resources that demonstrated wise investments in top programs and support for ones that are elevating their national status
- Strengthening a sense of community among students, faculty, and alumni
- Highly visible intellectual presence of arts and sciences locally, regionally, nationally, and globally
- Establishment of Challenge Teams
o Online Teaching
o Student Retention and Graduation
o Faculty Retention and Promotion
o Strategic Planning
o Diversity Plan Implementation
o Curricular Strategy
o McMicken Student Experience
*Areas of Excellence (in no particular order)
- Civic/Political/Social Responsibility (Includes Political Science, Sociology, Journalism, Communication, English, Anthropology, Classics, Area Studies, Language Studies)
- Medical Humanities (Includes Philosophy, English, Anthropology, Communication, History, Classics, Journalism)
- Health Disparities (Includes Neurosciences, Psych, Africana Studies, Sociology, Math, Physics, Geographical Information Networks cluster, Anthropology)
- Global studies (Includes RLL, German, Africana Studies, Judaic Studies, WGSS, Geography, Geology, Anthropology, Physics, Political Science, Classics, Latin American Studies, Asian Studies, Middle Eastern Studies)
- Water, energy, sustainability, and the environment (Includes QARG, Biology, Geography, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Communication, Anthropology, Environmental Studies, etc.)